Carson Pirie Scott, rip, grrrrrrrrr.

eoe

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 09:16 am
eoe wrote:
My mother took me to Carson's for a makeup lesson for my Junior Prom. I ran into my ex-fiance and his new bride returning gifts in the housewares department a few weeks after they were married. He looked like he could have died. I was, of course, the epitome of cool.

Yep. Lot of memories...

Of course, these were two separate incidences, about ten years apart. (altho' the Jr. prom date and ex-fiance was the same guy Very Happy )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 06:20 pm
I like this article on the situation with Carson Pirie Scott -
good article, good photos:
http://lynnbecker.com/repeat/carson/carsons.htm

http://lynnbecker.com/repeat/carson/carsonstop.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 07:05 pm
Another article here -
http://www.suntimes.com/output/nance/cst-nws-carson27c.html
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 11:17 pm
Looks like Chicago's really been changing over the past 25 years.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:07 am
osso, is it just me or wasn't there a big clock right above the main doors on the corner of State & Madison? Field's has the clocks on each corner but didn't Carson's have a really big clock also?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 11:00 am
I can't remember that well. I'll go look at google images and see if there are any old photos..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 11:15 am
Looked at google, and most of the images of the building in early days are quite small - I don't see a clock.

There's an image on wikipedia's entry for CPS that looks to be taken in the sixties, that you can click on and it enlarges - but I'm not going to copy it since there is a lot of verbiage at the bottom about the photo not having clear citation for who took it and that it will be taken off shortly. (It's possible I misunderstand if the verbiage applies to that photo.) Anyway, I don't see a clock on that one either.

Miller - I lived in Chicago as a child and went back to visit recently. There were many changes for me - but also much that was comfortably the same.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 02:03 pm
I guess you're right. I don't know why a clock on that corner seems so familiar to me. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:15 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Looked at google, and most of the images of the building in early days are quite small - I don't see a clock.

There's an image on wikipedia's entry for CPS that looks to be taken in the sixties, that you can click on and it enlarges - but I'm not going to copy it since there is a lot of verbiage at the bottom about the photo not having clear citation for who took it and that it will be taken off shortly. (It's possible I misunderstand if the verbiage applies to that photo.) Anyway, I don't see a clock on that one either.

Miller - I lived in Chicago as a child and went back to visit recently. There were many changes for me - but also much that was comfortably the same.

I grew up in Chicago and last visited the City in 1982. At that time, I could see that the North side was starting to go the way of the South side ( not good ). I still have 2 CDs in a bank
on the far Southwest side. Every time I call the bank to check on interest rates, I'm asked if I speak Spanish or English.

This suprised me, as I never knew any Hispanics as a child growing up in the inner City. I now know that Chicago is 50%
Hispanic and about 40% black.

While the loop and "Gold Coast" seem to have flourished under democratic leadership, it's my opinion that the remainder of the City is not in the shape, it was in, during the 1940s, 1950s or even the early 1960s and never will be.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:18 pm
As a wedding present, my mother & father received framed oil prints of the Chicago WaterTower . I now have these prints hanging in my living room as a nice reminder of Chicago's history.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:48 pm
I remember studying the building in Art History 2 and going to see it in person when I transferred to college in Chicago the next semester.

I bought a coat there for the sole reason that it metered at 18% gray, meaning I wouldn't have to tote around a piece of cardboard anymore. I still have that coat. For the last many years it has served as a protective nest for my ancient darkroom enlarger. When I peek into my attic it is the first thing I see.

There's no way they'll ever tear that building down.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:51 pm
Now I've heard everything! (in the way of clothes buying decisions, I mean..)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:58 pm
There was a time, when the elevators in Carsons and Fields were run by elevator operators, in each elevator compartment and these people wore caps, uniforms and white gloves.
And...the had a little leather stool to sit on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 04:01 pm
I remember that...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 04:19 pm
Times have surely changed.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 08:49 am
Miller wrote:
I now know that Chicago is 50% Hispanic and about 40% black.

No, you can't "know" that because it's not true. The most recent data show that Chicago is 30.3% white, 34.9% black, 28.8% Hispanic, and 4.8% Asian.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:37 am
How was "Chicago" defined in the above stats?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 10:38 am
Miller wrote:
How was "Chicago" defined in the above stats?

"Chicago" is defined as "the city of Chicago, being that part of the city of Chicago that lies wholly within the city limits of the city of Chicago." How do you define "Chicago?"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 10:42 am
Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 11:52 am
Ah, I'd missed Miller's post on that.
0 Replies