Looking for a kitchen table

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:21 pm
I know there has to be sites like Ebay, or Overtsock dot com that I can find a nice dark wood table for cheap.

I have hunted Target.. their quality sort of scares me

I have hunted Ebay, but would need local pick up because I can not afford 300+ for shipping, plus purchase of table, AND to buy sight unseen with out a return policy

I have hunted local craigslist

I have hunted local news papers

eh

what other sites can i peek at?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,130 • Replies: 28
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:34 pm
Hmm maybe this

"Why buy retail, when you can buy..."

http://www.directbuy.com/
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:39 pm
Sad

i have no sound. I cant tell what she is saying.

But I will hunt through this site too.

Thanks. Smile
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:47 pm
Not a website, but what about the Salvation Army Thrift stores or Goodwill. I've seen some very good furniture there. Look in the Yellow Pages for used furniture dealers. Or for furniture manufacturers -- they may have bargains on imperfect sets or a special order that was rejected.

My mother and stepfather used to make a profitable little business out of this ~ they would drive around rich neighbourhoods on the night before garbage pickup. They got amazing stuff, including dining room suites, sometimes needing a little fix-up, sometimes not. Then they sold it at a flea market booth on the weekends, and saved the really good stuff for an antique market 3 times a year. From this they made enough money for vacation cruises, new cars, etc.

Anyway, the point is that it's amazing what some people throw out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:48 pm
Do you have unfinished furniture shops round there? It's one of the most affordable ways to get decent quality, simply styled, furniture around here. Then you head out to Lowes or Home Depot or someplace like that to pick up some stain - and then learn to stain the wood yourself.

(have you ruled out places like Lowes and Home Depot? Ikea? ...)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:51 pm
Following on Tico's post - I was really miffed that my friend B turned down the offer of a ride home from class on Thursday. I was parked in a posh posh neighbourhood, and someone was throwing out some fabulous furniture. Down-filled sofa, that sort of thing.

I wanted the ottoman they'd put out, but I couldn't pick it up and manouevre it into my car by myself Confused It was about 2 feet high, and 3 by 5 feet. It had beautiful carved wooden legs, and a nice slipcover that I'd already dreamed of using as a pattern.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:52 pm
Not a big fan of Ikea style

and the closest Ikea is in dallas. 4 hours from here. So.. eh

I have been looking at goodwills, salvation army, thrift town etc..

STILL looking, im just not finding much.

Maybe I should look in a diffrent side of town?
Could be that I am looking in the poor-ish sides of town where people cant afford to let go of a good table to begin with.. let alone let it go as a donation

I have heard of stores selling a piece of furniture for much cheaper due to it being scratched, being a floor model, or what have you
but how do you find those?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:53 pm
WOW.

maybe i DO need to get out more early in the mornings..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:56 pm
Around here at least, the furniture cruising in the good neighbourhoods happens right after twilight. It's illegal to put stuff out before dusk - and starting three hours (I think) before pick-up, it belongs to the city so it's illegal to scavange in the early morning.

The pickers, with their trucks are busy from twilight til about midnight, one night ahead of city pick-up, all the week round.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 04:32 pm
Here is a nice one

http://austin.craigslist.org/fur/199378950.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/fur/199039764.html

Your local paper should have also information about furniture garage
sales.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 04:39 pm
I'll state the obvious-- Check the newspaper and the Pennysaver under "garage sales" and "furniture for sale". Around here, we have a paper called the Recycler where you can find just about anything for sale. Sort of a print version of EBay.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:24 pm
As CJ indicates, camp out at Craigslist. It's one of the best ways.

Here's a brand new one (as in recently posted), small but cheap.

http://austin.craigslist.org/fur/199665284.html
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
Check out the consignment shops in your area. Look for the size and shape you want. the color can be changed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 06:19 pm
Another thrift shop, consignment, trash in rich areas (well, my business partner got some wonderful stuff in Bel Air/Brentwood, mostly off of job throwaways - her own jobs, that is), craig's list person here. Before that I bought stuff once in a while from the newspaper ads.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:29 pm
ahhhh yes

craigslist.

http://austin.craigslist.org/fur/200627583.html

this is the target of my desire for this moment in time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:05 pm
Nice set, but I'd be astonished if you couldn't do better $$wise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you checked for estate sales, auctions?

I expect to find table/4 chairs/buffet or sideboard for less than $200 canajun.

My current table was $40 at auction (3 extension leaves, can be a side table or seat up to 10), 2 of the chairs were $5 each at auction (and $10 for the fabric to re-upholster them), a 3rd fancier chair was $25 at auction (the rest of the fabric re-upholstered it to match the first 2), the antique storage bench (used for a 4th seat in some situations) was $8 at Goodwill (I reupholstered that with co-ordinating fabric left over from the dining area curtains), and there is another storage bench (seats 2) that I got at Walmart for less than $100 last year. Table, seating for six = $193 plus the cost of staples. All nice walnut, except for the Walmart piece.

If I'd been willing to buy a matching set at the auction where I got the table and chairs, I'd have been able to snag several for less than $100. I paid more for co-ordinating vs matching pieces cuz that's my thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Seems to me that in the U.S you're more likely to get this kind of deal at an estate sale vs an auction (if scavenging doesn't work for you), but it's always worth checking the local variants.

When checking the ads, look for moving sales vs garage sales.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 05:13 am
I was thinking right along those lines the other day.
ANd I got me, the mister , and a friend a pass for a city wide garage sale this weekend.

Only 5 bucks a person, BUT the friend was a MUST
( he has a truck ) Cool

and we are going to be the first in line , 7 am , and one of the first to the furniture section.

I like that table though.
it IS a bit pricy for what you get, BUT i like it.. alot.
I have a black dish set that will look really nice ontop of that with some white/yellow flowers as the center piece.

dreams...... aaaahhhhhhh
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 05:29 am
You know what?

Go by Lacks and take a look in there. Especially with the Labor Day Weekend Sales.

I needed a round pedestal table of a certain diameter to fit into our new U-shaped diner booth.

I did craigslist, starvation army, goodwill plus this place up by Anderson and Burnet called It's New to Me. Also looked at tons of websites.

Went to Lacks and got a brandy new table for less than $200.00
The same price they wanted for a decent one at the Salvation army.

Now, I didn't need any chairs of course....

Hint, I went there the day before the sale and got a price, and asked, "Is this the price for the 4th of july holiday?" was told yes.

went back and asked for the salesperson, she wasnt' there, the one who sold it to me did so for about $30 less.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1158/diningtabledb2.th.jpg

I know this is just a thumbnail, but it's too early to think.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:09 am
lacks...

did not think of them.

They are across from Sun Harvest right?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:50 am
shewolfnm wrote:
lacks...

did not think of them.

They are across from Sun Harvest right?

yeah.

that table in the picture has a leaf, for when there's company, I think it was a good deal.

don't know how much the chairs where.

Do you have a truck or something to bring it home so you don't get charged with delivery?

I'll ask the wolverine if he can haul it for you, if you need to.
0 Replies