Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 06:57 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,961 • Replies: 30
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:28 am
I've been digging (no pun intended) the green burial thing.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 01:09 pm
I'd like to be composted. Think that'll ever happen?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 01:12 pm
isn't that, in effect, what is happening here?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 01:40 pm
Littlek's right. Composting is the idea here.

I have always wanted to buried deep and then have a tree planted over my grave, so that my body and spirit could continue on in the tree. To me, that would be the ideal way to be remembered. Composting resulting in a strong, living plant.

Here's to life.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 01:41 pm
But what about all the birds pooping on the tree?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 01:43 pm
Diane wrote:
Littlek's right. Composting is the idea here.

I have always wanted to buried deep and then have a tree planted over my grave, so that my body and spirit could continue on in the tree. To me, that would be the ideal way to be remembered. Composting resulting in a strong, living plant.

Here's to life.

Me too! <minus the spirit part>

Miller, bird poop is fertilizer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 01:45 pm
The problem with human bodies as compost is that we are too full of junk and preservatives to really make good soil. Laughing

I have always wanted to be hauled out into the wilderness, and just left there.

Let the animals and bugs have a feast on me .

I have feasted on my fair share of them.. so I should return the favor.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:25 pm
I would love to be cremated, and have my ashes scattered over the Myakka River. I think that I would add greatly to the beauty and peacefulness of the place! :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:31 pm
There is no 'death.' We merely change from one carbon-based entity into another. That's why I love Diane's idea. Here you could see the transformation.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 03:17 pm
Thanks, Merry Andrew.

What's a little guano between friends?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 03:20 pm
Diane wrote:

What's a little guano between friends?

glue
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 03:31 pm
Oh, please don't bury me
Down in that cold, cold ground
No, i'd rather have you cut me up
And pass me all around . . .
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 03:34 pm
Composting is not burial. In rural areas they compost dead livestock by covering them with sawdust or wood chips until the bodies decompose. The result is used as a soil amemdment. That's how I want my body to be dealt with. I think it's illegal, though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 03:34 pm
When my time comes, I want to be handed a spade. Then dig me a hole and wait patiently to drop in it, leaving a twenty near the spade, to pay any kind soul willing to fill it back up.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 04:23 pm
Edward Abbey had the best idea. His friends took his dead body out into the desert, dug a grave near a saguaro cactus and put up a marker that read, "No comment."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:03 pm
Smiling about Abbey...

There is an island of bones in the lagoon off of Venice, Italy - I no longer remember the exact details, much less the island's name, but I think one gets a burial in one place for a short bit, and then a remains-toss to the general pile. That as a concept made sense to me when I read about it - a specific burial for mourners, then a redistribution.

Now that I think about this I'll have to look it up. So much for memory.

I tend to agree with the idea of cremation intellectually and yet be more comfortable with the bury the shroud and plant a tree/saguaro concept.
For whatever emotional reason, I'd rather not have my body, whole, tossed at sea, gulp. I mean, gulf.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
i understand that 'green burials' have been around for a while - they just aren't well-known or much advertised - what spoil 'the business' , you know !
there was a feature on tv (on 60 minutes ?) some time ago on some of these sites in the united states .

from "about" - senior living :
"One example of a green burial involves preparing the body for burial without embalming fluid or other ecologically harmful chemicals, using a biodegradable casket made from natural materials like willow, bamboo, or paper, and burying the casket in a land preservation site. Trees, shrubs and flowers are planted nearby and over time the body becomes part of the green environment. "

i think in britain they are also becoming better known .
i seem to recall that a british lady writer who died within the last two or three years asked for a 'green burial' - a tree to be planted on her burial site . can't remember the writer's name ; she was the one with several dozens of 'romances' to her credit . she wore quite 'vived' , flowing gowns , quite the lady ; so i was quite surprised when i heard that was her choice .
hbg

...GREEN BURIAL...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 07:28 pm
Hamburger, I followed your link and read the article, then scrolled down to look at a couple of others. One was about a green funeral going horribly wrong that I actually found hilarious, for the most part. Here is a piece of the article that really had me laughing:

[QUOTE]However, what we did not expect was that half the site would be given over to a pet cemetery. It was rather surreal to read signs such as 'Cassie, a brave pony' as we carried the coffin past[/I[/color]].[/QUOTE]

This might upset some people but I'm sure that anyone who really wanted a green funeral would have been pleased to have such good company.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 07:53 pm
no , i didn't use the links .
i can see that relatives seeing a sign saying : "here lies a horse" might be just a little surprised Shocked Very Happy .
i have seen a collection of unusual tombstone inscriptions somewhere and the 'pony' inscription would have been preferable to some of those shown Smile .
we used to tell a joke as kids (in germany - haven't heard it in canada ) :
three guys in one coffin , everyone wanted a cornerplace but the coffin was round ! Smile
hbg
0 Replies