Buddies.

au1929

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 04:43 pm
http://http://csmonitor.com/images/entryart/0603entry.jpghttp://csmonitor.com/images/entryart/0603entry.jpg

Are they being courteous or looking for a spot to stick the knife?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,735 • Replies: 41
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 04:57 pm
Neither. They're looking for each other's strings.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:35 pm
Batteries, they are trying to disconnect each other's batteries. Damn energizer bunny.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:28 pm
I the event you weren't sure the back that Bush has his hand on is that of French President Jacques Chirac
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:56 pm
No, not courtesy. They're politicians. This way, if either of them trips, they'll both fall down.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:09 pm
Bush's spin-doctors must be a bit worried about him meeting all those leaders face-to-face.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 05:29 am
That, my dear folks, is an example of "political correctness" at its very best (worst??). So, next time that we need our allies to stand by us France will know that they can hide in the corner, let us do the dirty work, and all will be forgiven. Yuk!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:12 am
Probably more like not letting 300+ years of being allies go asunder because of one issue.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:40 am
McGentrix
Political alliances are made based upon present not the past . Today's friends are ofttimes yesterday's enemies and yesterday's friends may be today's enemies.
As far as France is concerned the road has been rocky since WW2.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:47 am
I thought part of the US's beef with France was that they didn't hide in any corners, but actually presumed to state their own opposing viewpoint almost as loudly and insistently as the US did theirs.

My, possibly false, understanding was that France is a sovereign nation, and is not actually compelled to agree with whatever the US wants, or face eternal retribution.

Have I missed a coup?

That said, I think their semi-embraces are a modified version of a Vulcan death grip, and that their arms must be rigid with the effort not to hit each other.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:50 am
Far from being "political correctness" Phoenix, I think it is part of the long, oft-interrupted, dance of diplomacy, which may, perhaps, one day, see us waltzing finally away from the death grip of our killer hominid ancestors, into a future where we smile and smile, get ulcers and lots of headaches, but do not go to war.

pigs fly past as I speak...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:14 am
I can't believe a world leader could stumble over a question so simple as "Have you found any weapons of mass destruction?"

Those yes-or-no queries can be killers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:25 am
I believe the correct answer is "not yet".

Will that still work in 20 years?

I suppose the Israelites didn't find the promised land until they had wandered about looking for it - (possibly in Iraq sometimes?) - for forty years - so that might establish some sort of precedent for holy graily types of things, if you see what I mean.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:07 am
I'm not sure the Holy Grail would be the most fortuitous example for the admin, since it took Harrison Ford a couple of milennia to find it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:48 am
Hmmm - yes.

however -I believe the grail used in te movie was a prop only, and the thing is still not found - I guess they could get Hollywood to do some WMD?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:50 am
Hey - if they make a movie of Gulf II, who is prepared to make a bet with me that they forget Britain, or mistake Australia for Austria?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:50 am
I am aghast that you would suggest that a government could even conceive of such a thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:51 am
WBMD

Warner Brothers of Mass Destruction

Acme Black Death
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:52 am
beep beep!
0 Replies

dlowan