Been fined for speeding! And I'm annoyed at the injustice!

smorgs

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 11:28 am
In Blaenau Ffestiniog, Wales, on the 7th of July, I was captured on camera doing 41 mph in a 30 zone going to an idyllic retreat to Portmeirion.

How was I too know? The signs are all in Welsh (the bastards - they only want the tourist pound) by the time you read the English version underneath - it's too late!

I have now got to pay a fine of £60.00 and have three points on my licence!!!!

I am so pissed off about this - ESPECIALLY as a policeman was let off yesterday for speeding at 150 mph!!!

How can this be?

Where's the justice in that?

Why did they send me the fine in Welsh and English?

What a waste of a tree!

A VERY annoyed smorgs!

x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,329 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Tico

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 12:29 pm
There, there >patting smorgs on the noggin<

(Has there ever been a speeder who actually deserved the ticket?)

Does "30" looks different in Welsh?

Are the shape & colour of speed limit signs different in Wales? I thought that there is now an international standard, just so that everyone can recognize them, whether or not they speak the language.

I live in a bilingual country, so I understand the length of official things. Consider it an opportunity to learn a new language.

Why is the UK still not metric?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 01:08 pm
I know, I know...

It's just annoying that the police can get off with it - but not me!

I learnt this:

Am dorri'r Cyfyngiad Cyflymder o 30 mya!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/5284962.stm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
Unfortunately, ignorance is not an excuse to break the law. I know, it sucks and I'd be so pissed too...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 04:48 pm
( shakes head and waggs finger)

you were SPEEDING darling Cool

though, I do think, if you take the time to find a way to speak to a judge/lawyer or someone like that... maybe explaining WHY , and what was causing you to not understand the signs.. you might be able to get out of it?
Or maybe get it reduced?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 04:59 pm
Hey, I was fined $341 for getting caught on camera running a red light. Plus, I had to go to online traffic school and pay another $160 for that privilege so it wouldn't appear on my record! And yet you don't hear me whining about it!

Do the crime, pay the fine.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 05:09 pm
I'm with smorgs on this. Where I live, there is a speed trap. I crossed a bridge on my way to the grocery store, and was cited by a motorcycle cop who never showed me his radar clocking. I have NEVER had a ticket in my life, and I asked him to let me off with a warning. I learned later, that these traffic cops have quotas. I made a terrible scene in the parking lot of Food Lion, and I am soooo glad that I did. Pissed off with you, dear.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 05:22 pm
I know if you do the crime - you pay the fine...

I have done wrong - I do accept it.

BUT WHY IS IT ONE RULE FOR THEM AND ANOTHER FOR US !

TELL ME?

TELL ME?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 05:29 pm
I absolutly agree.

it is bullshit that police officers get away with things simply because they get pulled over by " thier buddies"

wtf?

A police officer speeding , and not in his car, can cause the same damage as anyone else.. so why is HE let off?

I think that is crap
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 05:37 pm
How should I know? Maybe because we're not getting shot at, puked on, lied to or viewing dead bodies on a daily basis?

If you're that riled up about it, get yourself a gun and a badge and drive like a maniac to your heart's content.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:53 pm
Awww, smorgs. I know that I wasn't too sympathetic in my first post, but I do feel your pain -- been there, myself. But when I think of all the times that I have sped knowingly (and then multiply that by 10, because you know I've underestimated it) and got away with it, the few tickets that I've had are insignificant.

(But that "unnecessary noise" one was a crock -- it was a hot day, and my tires were cool after being parked in the underground garage, and how could the cop possibly notice any alleged noise with all the mid-day downtown traffic ... grrr)

As for the cop -- he hasn't exactly gotten away with it. He's been through 2 1/2 years of court proceedings, and when it's final, his police force will have to take disciplinary action (unless the conviction, which still stands, is overturned). You can write your Member of Parliament and the other powers that be, you can get involved with the civilian police watchdog agencies, you can let it go or you can drive yourself crazy.

None of which is going to do a thing about your ticket.

Best thing to do is get a punching bag and some gloves, photocopy the cop's face and tape it to the bag, and go at it.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:20 pm
I know it was an overaction, Tico. I probably deserve everything I get...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:07 am
Well, they got me [again]:

http://i6.tinypic.com/2yulehc.jpg

What really embarrasses me is that they cut my wife out of the photo and you can't even imagine that Mrs Steve and Steve 41oo are sitting in the back!

So, I'm not going to the bank to pay that 20 EUROs .... which they didn't cut of, of course.

[size=7]I've paid it online.[/size]
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:46 am
Jeez...only 20 euros!

Cheap, I tell ya!!!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:08 am
Margo, you've gorn all lilac!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:09 am
What the hell.....? How did I do that?

Is A2K going all psychaedelic on us?
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:15 am
WOW, that is expensive...

for 11 miles over the limit you do not get points on your licence in Germany.
At least you didn't the last time I got fined, which was five or six years ago!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:51 am
Ive been done for speeding a few times, I was mightily annoyed when the fine went from £40 to £60, then again I suppose its there to deter us.

Last time I was tempted to post the payment with an article that had been in the paper only the dya before saying that speed cameras very often get the reading wrong.I think they 'flashed' and old person on a push bike!!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:52 am
I was done by a Policeman holding a radar gun, in the pouring rain.

I was on my way to another Court (late, as usual), and admittedly I was doing well over 60 in a 40mph zone.
A female polce officer came to my car when I had stopped, and was getting soaked whilst filling in my speeding ticket. I offered for her to get in the car to keep dry, and she refused, but then recognised me from various Court hearings.
Knowing therefore, that I was actually "in the job" in a round about way, she accepted my offer, and climbed in.
When I got home and read the ticket, she had reduced my speed down to 50 mph.

Didn't make any difference to the fine, but it lessened the points on the license in those days, if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:27 am
What's unfair, if I understand your situation correctly, is that you only find out about your speeding later, and not in the moment, so that you have no opportunity to have a clear memory of the event with which to defend yourself. Around here, if you're accused of speeding, it's right as it's occurring.
0 Replies