My new job...

Chai

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 01:45 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
MMS--

I know decent, well-paying jobs aren't thick on the ground in your neck of the woods, but can you keep your eyes open for a job that doesn't involve as much dust and grit?

That's what I'm thinking.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:21 pm
MMS, Your employer should provide you with personal protective equipment (PPE.) If not, call OSHA. If you choose a respirator, make shure you are physically able to wear one and that it is properly fit tested. A respirator requires that you breathe harder. you will need to take more frequent breaks as you tire more quickly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 03:34 pm
Also be sure your employeer is making the Worker's Compensation payments--otherwise an asthma attack could be permanently expensive.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:17 pm
Quote:
MMS--

I know decent, well-paying jobs aren't thick on the ground in your neck of the woods, but can you keep your eyes open for a job that doesn't involve as much dust and grit?

Yea...been trying too, jobs are scarce, unless I want to go back to flipping burgers, than I still suffer from natural gases if used....its unreal at times what I suffer through with my sinuses. A year ago, I suffered with 9 major sinus infections that each one lead to having double ear infections along with upper respritory, or bronchitus....I was so sick of being sick....I was put on 3 different allergy medications, but have failed to be re-evaluated, because of the last few months I have suffered through any, till yesterday. WELL...I guess I'm going to suck it up and go back...I just hate all that medicine, one is inhaled through the nose, two I had to swallow....

I got off the computer last night for it to start again,...my husband tried to take me to the ER, but I felt like such a fool, and a fool for not going...kept thinking it was going to pass. I spent half of last night trying to sleep sitting up on the couch, because I couldn't lie down and breathe. And the Albuterol didn't help the second round....this morning when I woke, I felt like I had the flu...every joint in my body hurt, I was achy....coughing and just all over sick. Its been over 24 hours..and I can say that I feel much better now...still don't feel up to par, but a major improvement from last night or this morning.

My friend that I work with was over this afternoon, I was such good company, I laid on the couch half comotose. We talked about how irritated my lungs were, which makes us both feel like total idiots. We just didn't think about it...4 hours...on that one site, and then the other old house that I was in on Friday, which I really feel is what set me off...to have to suffer out of stupidity, is not something I'm very proud of..right now.

The old house: I call it an old house, but its probably 20 years old. Wasn't built with the best of materials, and was given to us, it sits adjacent to our property.

Friday, my husband decided to clean it out. He got his father and brother involved in the efforts, and after I was finished doing hair, I joined them. (thats another irritant) This house is in such delapated shape, its pathetic. It belonged to my husbands grandparents, who are both deceased. When they placed his grandfather in a nursing home, most of the family cleaned out the belongings, leaving the junk and trash behind. (gee thanks) They hauled off 8 truck loads to the dump by the end of the afternoon.

They even encounted a RAT twice..that was the size of a squirrel that was taking up residence underneath the couch, along with its brood. Lets just say the babies are now gone, but the mother is still running rampant down there somewhere. So..there was rat fece's in the house....and the house had a stinch to it.... Embarrassed

I was in that for about an hour.....it was probably an hour afterwards that I started having problems breathing.....

So...its a case of all the above yesterday that started it.....

You'd think I'd know better by now, but I have period that I think I'm invincible and tend to ignore my better judgement. Yesterday was one of them......
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:25 pm
MMS--

And for an encore you're going to go over to the school where they have asbestos in 18 classrooms that has to be removed?

Your lungs are just too high-minded and hoity-toity to cope with filth.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:27 pm
Yep, it sounds like your lungs are trying to tell you something.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:45 pm
Quote:
Your lungs are just too high-minded and hoity-toity to cope with filth.

What brings on the change though? Years ago, it was this bad...

Quote:
Yep, it sounds like your lungs are trying to tell you something.

Yea...lol, they are calling me an IDIOT!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 10:20 pm
Some kids outgrow allergies--some adults grow into them.

For me, August is ragweed season and every year ragweed season gets worse.

The problem isn't really dust or pollen--the problem is that the allergic have immune systems that overreact to the dust or pollen.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:41 am
Dust and mold will affect anyone who breathes enough of it. MMS please make sure you have the appropriate respiratory protection. It's required by law.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:49 am
Quote:
What brings on the change though? Years ago, it was this bad...

What I meant to say was...."WASN'T"...

Quote:
Some kids outgrow allergies--some adults grow into them.

For me, August is ragweed season and every year ragweed season gets worse.

The problem isn't really dust or pollen--the problem is that the allergic have immune systems that overreact to the dust or pollen.

I vaguely remember a few years ago when this allergy problem started. And your right, it seems to start about August, September...

We were out late one night riding around on our lease. We had a bunch of corn feeders out, and I was armed with my camera to take pics of whatever we found feeding. When my husband drove down the pipeline, I told him, "OMG, Look at the ragweed! We need to roll the windows up, or I won't be able to breathe in the morning." The next morning, my eyes were swelled shut, crusted over...and I couldn't breathe...It seems like that was the momumental start to it. Ever since then...a change in the season, the dryness, dust....lil things set it off. And it usually last till summer hits...

This past attack was the worst one ever, and it lasted about 24 hours, and I'm as good as new this morning. I'm very blown away at how sick I was...for that short of a period of time, and not to still be suffering with atleast a runny nose or something. Which is odd....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:01 am
ay, shiver, your health is more important than a good paying job.
These old houses were built with asbestos and without proper protection
and mask, you can get very ill. Asbestos becomes especially dangerous when disturbed and you can find that anywhere in floor and ceiling tiles, walls, roof - you name it. The fibers of asbestos can get into your lungs
very quickly. I'd stop that job at once, I am serious.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:48 am
MMS--

Quote:
I'm very blown away at how sick I was...for that short of a period of time, and not to still be suffering with atleast a runny nose or something. Which is odd....

Either you or the ragweed (and dust and mold) blew in from an alien planet.

Personally, I think in your case the allergens are winning, but if you disagree and want to fight to the death....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 02:37 pm
Forget about the ragweed and the goldenrod. As bad as they are, this is corn season and it's one of the roughest, toughest allergens going.

MMS, if you're sensitized because of the allergy season, you can be thrown into an asthma attack much more easily than usual.

If you can't give up the job, make absolutely-for-damn-sure that you've got the proper respirator on.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 06:00 pm
mms : don't ruin your health ; even the best-paying job isn't worth the money if it makes you sick !
allergies come in all sorts of disguises - i know , unfortunately .
even a respirator might not help much ; your body may be picking up the allergens through your skin .
the following articles/websites may help you track down what the underlying problem is :
...ALLERGIES - DUST , MOLD ?...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:13 pm
Noddy
Quote:
Personally, I think in your case the allergens are winning, but if you disagree and want to fight to the death....

My dear Noddy, I would never disagree with you. You are right, and I am going to have to admit defeat. Simple as that, they are winning....

ehBeth
Quote:
MMS, if you're sensitized because of the allergy season, you can be thrown into an asthma attack much more easily than usual.

If you can't give up the job, make absolutely-for-damn-sure that you've got the proper respirator on.

Thanks ehBeth...I won't give up the job, but I will make for certain that I'm better prepared for the next one. I can't go through that again...

Sir Hamburger
Quote:
mms : don't ruin your health ; even the best-paying job isn't worth the money if it makes you sick !
allergies come in all sorts of disguises - i know , unfortunately .
even a respirator might not help much ; your body may be picking up the allergens through your skin .
the following articles/websites may help you track down what the underlying problem is :
...ALLERGIES - DUST , MOLD ?...

Sir Hamburger...Thank you also, I went through the links, and I believe I know what the culprit is now. It was the old house I was in, without a doubt.

Quote:
Products such as carpets or gypsum board contain no significant amounts of formaldehyde when new. However, they may trap fumes emitted from other sources and then later release the fumes into the air when the temperature and humidity change. The higher the temperature and the more humid the environment, the more formaldehyde will be released. Also decreasing the flow of outdoor air by sealing a residence or office increases the levels in indoor air.

The house had been sealed off, and it was in the high 90's, and humid. The carpet was moldy, walls were moldy, and the whole place one big mistake to enter. But...I didn't think about it....I am just very proud that I didn't help rip out the carpet like they had in mind Friday.

To reduce existing levels, ventilate, seal surfaces of those products not already coated or laminated, and/or remove the product that is releasing the gas. Sometimes this means replacing carpeting or gypsum board
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 11:45 pm
Ahhh,

never mind the old house, an obvious giant probelm.

Wear a mask with this stuff, even in new houses. Did you not read the links?

Not to beat up on you, MMS, but ... to beat up on you.

The money is badly earned, you don't know which particle sucked on to your lungs, and as you describe the scenes there are plenty of particles.

Not that I haven't worked with masks like you, or occasionally without them.
In my case, I've been exposed to so much, in so many careers and hobbies, there is not one person or place I could sue if I wanted to.

Which I don't. Not the turpentine or kerosene in painting or printing classes or the benzene or toluene or whatever in the labs.

Still, your lungs are vital. Don't just toss them.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 02:41 pm
Update:

I've noticed that Alabama has done one thing for me, seemed to have cleared up alot of allergy problems. I haven't had but one attack since we moved in July, and it was due to a trip back to Arkansas, at the end of September.

We spent the weekend at my Father-in-laws home, and within two days of being there I was so sick I thought I was going to choke to death because of the coughing, my husband was begging to take me to the E.R. Of course, I refused....but all they ever do is give me more allergy medications, and some codiene for the cough. (I had some codeine to help knock me out and the cough off, so I just took it.)

The 10 hour ride home is a total blank landscape.........LOL
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:31 pm
So, Alabama can have its good sides too. Who knew! Laughing

Did you know that one of our newer members, mismi40, is from
Alabama, and she's got 3 boys. You might want to see if you're living
close to each other.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:23 pm
Hi Cj, No...I sure didn't know that. I've seen her on the board games, might have to ask her what part....?

Thanks....
0 Replies