All Forward Thinking, Progressive, Caring Liberal Women

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:48 am
I don't know whether to be flattered or traumatized.....
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:57 am
I'm available...

But the child must be raised BRITISH!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:14 am
smorgs wrote:
I'm available...

But the child must be raised BRITISH!

please send a release form, passport and full body shot.....
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:17 am
Can't you just fedex me your 'specimin'?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:30 am
Setanta wrote:
You cover a lot of ground, Habibi, when you refer to Europe. In the first place, i think you might be able to make a case that until recently, the core nations of the EU might have had a lower birth rate than the United States. [..] But with the burgeoning immigrant population in the west of Europe, i wonder if birth rates are still significantly lower in that part of Europe. [..] When you say Europe, you are not nearly describing a political, social, economic and cultural unity which equates with the United States.

Europe may be socially and culturally diverse, but despite immigration, all European countries appear to have a lower birth rate than the US.

I wouldnt be surprised if there were a correlation with the greater spread of secularism and liberalism.

(I'll leave out the Eastern European countries I checked - Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Slovakia, Poland, Latvia - from the list below; birth rates there are generally extra low, ie <10, but that's no wonder with the existential insecurity that came with economic crisis and bleak outlooks.)

Birth rates

Births/1,000 population
All 2006 estimates
Source: CIA World Factbook

USA

France

Denmark

Netherlands

UK

Sweden

Spain

Greece

Italy

Germany

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:55 am
I'd be interested in seeing population density comparisons....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:56 am
(I think my mom commissioned this study to try to wring some more grandchildren out of me...)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:00 pm
nimh wrote:
I wouldnt be surprised if there were a correlation with the greater spread of secularism and liberalism.

What might or might not surprise you is hardly at issue--what you can prove, or even just reasonably demonstrate would be relevant, but you advance no evidence. You have not responded to my point about the significant number (tens of millions) of immigrants in the United States, both legal and illegal. That's why pop statistics such as are referred to in what is openly described as an opinion piece are largely meaningless. They are simplistic, and no reliable base line or set of definitions are provided.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:25 pm
nimh wrote:

That correlation would be quite ironic too. Rational liberals out-evolved by Bible-thumping creationists ...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
nimh wrote:

What might or might not surprise you is hardly at issue--what you can prove, or even just reasonably demonstrate would be relevant, but you advance no evidence. You have not responded to my point about the significant number (tens of millions) of immigrants in the United States, both legal and illegal. That's why pop statistics such as are referred to in what is openly described as an opinion piece are largely meaningless. They are simplistic, and no reliable base line or set of definitions are provided.

I've gotta say, the notion advanced (if not the statistics themselves) jibes with my own personal experience, especially among my own age group.

The conclusion -- that political philosophies consistently are vertically transmitted from generation to generation is hogwash. If it was true, then where did all the hippies come from in the 60s?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:49 pm
Thomas wrote:
nimh wrote:

That correlation would be quite ironic too. Rational liberals out-evolved by Bible-thumping creationists ...

That was mildly hilarious . . .
0 Replies