Fear of Job Training

shark

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 02:26 pm
I have a big fear, which to some extent, is rational. I am scared of new jobs because my success at work depends on who the trainer will be. I fear JOB TRAINING. Everytime I find a new job, I quit before starting, espcially when I see there is a new computer to learn or new technical machine to play with. Are you with me thus far?

Due to this fear, I always seek work that is less pay than most decent jobs. I look for odd working hours like 12am to 8am or 11pm to 7am, to AVOID job training during hectic or busy working hours. I abhor embarrassment of any kind, especially at the job place.

I am so lost. I have several college degrees but can't go anywhere with them because of job training fear. I am in my early 40s and cannot get my act together. I am sure not to be the ONLY HUMAN on this planet with this fear, right? There are many types of human fear: water, sharks, animals, darkness, etc

The other day, as I have done all my life, I turned down a good-paying job because I am afraid to misunderstand the training session. I may have a learning disability problem but, at the same time, have never been evaluated by a doctor. What is your view?

I cannot go through life quiting a job BEFORE starting due to fear of training. I've had some terrible experiences at the work place while trying to understand what my job resposibilities are and should be. There are trainers who simply cannot teach to others what they have learned. Like a lot of teachers who go into teaching without having the natural ability to teach PERIOD! The same applies in terms of new jobs and training.

I would really like someone to help me by providing a serious and solid advice. Thank you so much for reading this note. I hope to hear from you soon. I welcome ALL replies.

shark
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 801 • Replies: 4
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:15 pm
Seek out a good therapist and work this through. I fear that it's a larger problem than an eclectic menage of well-meaning, but untrained and anonymous, internet surfers can help you with.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:12 pm
I'd agree that you need to get a professionals insight into your issues to find out how to overcome them.

Interesting that you say you have several degrees and yet you fear training. Have you always had this fear? If so, how did you get through school?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:46 pm
I'm with fishin. Somehow, some way, you got through school. So the question is -- how? And you'll need a professional to sort out the tangles. You can tell us all you like, and we're sympathetic -- don't misunderstand that -- but at the same time, a professional will get you through this.

BTW -- are you also afraid of homework?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:22 pm
Shark,

I can relate to what you're saying. There's no doubt that some people are much better at training than others and it can make a world of difference when you're a new employee.

But it sounds like you've got a real problem with anxiety. You are probably blowing this up in your mind until it seems insurmountable.

Therefore, I'd agree with the others here that seeing a therapist would be a good idea for you.

While it can be a challenge learning a new job, there are definately some good companies out there, with good people, and any problems you encounter can be worked out. For instance, you may catch on to one particular task very quickly, but you may need a little more training and time for others. Most employers understand that.

It sounds like you have a tendancy to give up on yourself way too soon.
0 Replies