Church Fires Teacher for Being Female

aidan

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 12:57 pm
Which texts are you referring to? All that I found attributed sanctity of life to each individual for the same reason, because God is divine and God is believed to be in every living thing. Christianity takes it a step further and says that man is actually created in the image of God.

Christianity- sacred text- The Bible (Psalm 24:1) The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof - the world and those who dwell within".

Judaism - sacred text - The Torah- the saving of human life takes precedence over all religious laws and customs.

Islam - sacred text - Q'uran - "Nor take a life that God has made sacred" (l7:33)

Hinduism - sacred text-Gita - "I am the taste in water, the light in sun and moon, sound in space, the sweet smell in the earth and the brightness in fire. I am the same to all creatures. I know not hatred or favor but those who serve me with love dwell in me and I in them". (Krishna)

Bhuddism - sacred text - Tripitaka - Bhuddist l0 commandments: Do Not Destroy Life

Sikhism - sacred text - Guru Granth - "The earth is a gardent, the Lord its' gardener, cherishing all, none neglected."

Shinto - sacred text - Kojiki - "All you under heaven, regard heaven as your father, earth as your mother, and all things as your brothers and sisters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:03 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Mame,
Are you proposing that the doctrine and word of God be changed to suit the times? The faithful, for the most part, accept what is written in the bible. Those who do not follow or believe it's teachings are free to think what they will.

The big problem (as I perceive it) is deciding which translation to believe, which writer to believe (one who might have met the person we know as Jesus, or someone writing at some point after his death), which analysis to believe.

The doctrine and word of God - which variant?
0 Replies

Baph

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:15 pm
aidan wrote:
Which texts are you referring to? All that I found attributed sanctity of life to each individual for the same reason, because God is divine and God is believed to be in every living thing.

I'm new to this forum, just finding my feet, & don't really want to upset anyone too much...........yet.

Organised religion, particularly Christianity, has been twisted so much over the course of time that it falls more into the words of man rather than God. It was historically man who not only translated the scriptures, some say incorrectly, but chose what to include in the version of the Bible that so many take as the full and complete truth. There are many forgotten books and gospels that spoilt the theme and storyline, or challenged the ultimate control the church was seeking at the time. Some encouraged freedom of thought, some the ability to question, and some like the book of Enoch cast the origins of man and evil in an entirely different light. If a book, any book, of historical facts is put together, then large sections removed for convenience, how can the whole story be intelligently considered. One of the earliest King James' versions actually had a preface by the translators, which although intelligently constructed, was left out by the church.

I am only using examples of books & gospels that are readily available on the internet, since these were sanctioned at one time or another to appear in an earlier Bible version. There are I am sure other texts that have either been destroyed or are kept safely under lock and key in Vatican City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripture - Interesting if you dig that kind of stuff.
If you want to know about the forgotten books then "google" them.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:19 pm
aidan wrote:
Which texts are you referring to? All that I found attributed sanctity of life to each individual for the same reason, because God is divine and God is believed to be in every living thing. Christianity takes it a step further and says that man is actually created in the image of God.

Christianity- sacred text- The Bible (Psalm 24:1) The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof - the world and those who dwell within".

aidan,
Rather than a bible quote from a worshipper that is trying to please his god, consider some that speak directly of the divine being's actions as put together by xingu here[/u]

The actions and commands of biblegod do not show much value to the sanctity of human life.
0 Replies

Baph

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 04:45 pm
mesquite - Thanks for the link.
I don't read the bible religiously (intentional!) - bad things have a habit of happening when I do, so I steer clear.
Here's a thought though - The Earth was created in 6 days & on the 7th day he rested. This gives us "There's no rest for the wicked", mankind's sin began here, biblically speaking, and if you limit yourself to such narrow-minded religious views as outlined in the bible then the Earth is entirely Satan's domain.
My beliefs occasionally elicit a dycotomy, even within myself, so I try to keep them as close to my chest as I can.
0 Replies