Church Fires Teacher for Being Female

Intrepid

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:17 am
Pauligirl wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Firstly, my source was not an internet source. How would I post a link to something that does not exist.

It exists: http://www.studylight.org/com/bnn/view.cgi?book=1co&chapter=011

P

Thanks. I did not get my info from the internet, but it does appear to also be available there. I got mine from a bible program disc.

In any event, I don't see what the souce has to do with the content. I agree with what was written and that was my point. If it is more important to find sources for something that is said than the meat of what is said....that is truly sad.

Do you have an opinion on the teacher being fired?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:46 am
Intrepid wrote:
In any event, I don't see what the souce has to do with the content.

There is the issue of plagiarism if other folks' work is not credited correctly.

For things which I might consider copying from hard copies at home, I usually spend some time trying to find an online source or reference as I don't want to get CdK in trouble.

I'd hate to lose A2K as a result of my referencing/crediting properly.

If you're referencing something hard copy you agree with, but can't/won't source, it's probably best to simply state your opinion and then type out info about where it can be found in hard copy. As in this case, someone else might be able to help you find the reference.

There have been a couple of discussions of possible legal ramifications of missing/incorrect referencing.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:05 am
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the text was italicized which indicated to me that it was quoted.

I understand your point, ehBeth, about citing, but it moot in this case... the issue was not who said it, when or where... he was merely repeating something he agreed with.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:14 am
Intrepid is peddling other horsepoop, as well. He reacted hysterically to my remark that religionists are misogynistic, and then claimed that i'm taking the thread off topic. He certainly has done that, by indulging personalities.

A comment that religionists are misogynistic is very much on topic in this thread.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:17 am
Well, I certainly agree with you (again) with your statement (that religionists are misogynistic); it's been proven time and again. But it's probably not ALL religionists, unless I'm misunderstanding the term, so I'd qualify it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:17 am
Perhaps Setanta could provide some semblance of truth that religionists hate woman. I have never heard something so laughable in my life.

Here we have one woman Sunday School teacher relieved of her duties by one Pastor of unknown character and suddenly, Setanta proclaims that all religionists hate women.

What is also very funny is that there are probably more female religionists than male in the world.

Same old, same old from Mr. Setanta.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:23 am
Intrepid, it wasn't one unknown Pastor; wasn't it the whole board, which were all male?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:27 am
Mame wrote:
Intrepid, it wasn't one unknown Pastor; wasn't it the whole board, which were all male?

Sorry for that error. Yes, you are right. I don't know how many would be on that board, but I assume it is a small number since it is only one congregation.

I stated from the very beginning that I thought the treatment of that teacher was horrendous. The fact that Setanta continues on his rant against me just proves that he does not read the posts.

You have found yourself in a thread that is not much unlike any in this S&R forum. That is, indeed, a pity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:29 am
Mame, i can see the justice in qualifying the claim that all religionists hate women. However, there are some pertinent observations to be made about that statment. The first is that i have not said that all people of spiritual or religious sentiment are misogynisitc--i have specifically used the term religionists. I use that term, or the term religious fanatic when i speak of the evils of organized religion precisely because i'm speaking about organized religion and not all the individuals who adhere to a religious doctrine. It cannot reasonably be stated, however, that all people of spiritual or religious sentiment are promoters of organized religino. That's why E_brown's hissy fit and nasty remarks to me before he stormed off in a pout were telling, to my mind. Either he acknowledges that he is offended because he is in fact a proponent of organized religion (and all that implies, specifically that a particular creed is inerrant and that all other creeds are false), or he acknowledges that he does not hold that view, and therefore had no reason to object as he did.

So, yes, i'll go along with the observation that the claim that my statement needs to be modified:

Although not absolutely all of them--overwhelmingly, religionists are misogynistic.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:30 am
Re: Church Fires Teacher for Being Female
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Time to purge the gene pool? ---BBB

... She had taught there for 54 years. - ISN'T IT A BIT LATE NOW????

The Rev. Timothy LaBouf, who also serves on the Watertown City Council, issued a statement saying his stance against women teaching men in Sunday school - WHY ARE MEN IN SUNDAY SCHOOL???? i THOUGHT IT WAS JUST FOR CHILDREN? ...

Speaking of the horse having left the barn!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:39 am
Set - nice riposte, and you answered my question which concerned the definition of the word Religionist.... Not being a religious person I had to look it up and it didn't mention fanatic or zealot... however, I did get the impression that's what you mean when you use that term. Fair enough. Religionist = religious fanatic (to you).

On that basis, I'd still be agreeing with you with the same qualifier as I don't think all zealots take the Bible literally, and please correct me if I'm wrong because, as I've said, I'm woefully ignorant on this topic.

Or am I perhaps mixing up two separate groups: zealot religionists and literal-minded religionists? Is there a name for religionists who take the bible literally?
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:49 am
Mame wrote
Quote:
Or am I perhaps mixing up two separate groups: zealot religionists and literal-minded religionists? Is there a name for religionists who take the bible literally?

yes we are called conservative christians......
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:54 am
Kate, I must disagree with you there. Conservative Christians do not take the bible literally.

The Bible talks about turning the other cheek, not resisting the evil man and loving ones enemies.

If someone took the bible literally they would be opposed to capital punishment and the Iraq war and they (seeing as they didn't resist an evil man) they would have no need for guns.

Conservative Christians say they take the bible literally... but they are clearly misguided. They take parts of the Bible literally and discard or explain away the parts that don't match their ideology.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:57 am
Mame wrote:
Set - nice riposte, and you answered my question which concerned the definition of the word Religionist.... Not being a religious person I had to look it up and it didn't mention fanatic or zealot... however, I did get the impression that's what you mean when you use that term. Fair enough. Religionist = religious fanatic (to you).

On that basis, I'd still be agreeing with you with the same qualifier as I don't think all zealots take the Bible literally, and please correct me if I'm wrong because, as I've said, I'm woefully ignorant on this topic.

The point about a religionist is that in insisting upon any particular creed, one inferentially denies the truth of all other creeds. It does not require zealotry to make such a point of view insidious. Even if the literal-minded adherent of a particular creed is not him- or herself misogynistic (and yes, women can be misogynisitc), they at the least acquiesce in misogynistic creeds. If one is not an active persecutor of a group, but one does nothing to ameliorate or prevent the persecution, on can reasonably be said not to be a part of the solution, if not actually a part of the problem.

From this, i hope you can see why i don't need to stipulate that a religionist is a zealot or a fanatic--the most of religious creeds are misogynistic--aherence to any such creed makes the adherent at the least complicit.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:58 am
conservative christians take the bible literally?

In that case, that explains why you believe the world is 10,000 yrs old. I googled it yesterday, after our chat, and learned about creationists... there was also a group known as Recent somethings (just left my head, darn)...
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:05 pm
i dont think you understand the difference between a conservative and a liberal christian...

conservative christians take the bible to be the literal innerant infallible word of God....ie we believe that the creation story is a literal story...that truly happened...

liberal christians believe that the bible contains Gods word and that more of it is symbolic than literal...ie they believe that the creation story is symbolic....

ebrown wrote
Quote:
The Bible talks about turning the other cheek, not resisting the evil man and loving ones enemies. If someone took the bible literally they would be opposed to capital punishment and the Iraq war and they (seeing as they didn't resist an evil man) they would have no need for guns. Conservative Christians say they take the bible literally... but they are clearly misguided. They take parts of the Bible literally and discard or explain away the parts that don't match their ideology.

we do take this literally....example...you come to me and cuss me out and then smack me in the face....as a christian I am still to love you and walk away without hitting you etc....but we also know this doesnt mean that we can't defend ourselves or others in life threatening situations bc CHrist himself instructed his apostles while traveling to carry swords to protect themselves...God many times instructed the israelites to do battle against people who were their enemies.....etc...
example...a man breaks into my home and tries to kill me, My husband can fight back to protect me .......
see the thing is you can't just pick one verse and ignore the rest ....ya have to exogete the text...........
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:09 pm
Mame, biblical literalist is the only term with which i am familiar for such as you refer to. It is worth noting, howerver, that such people do not rely solely upon what they claim the bible means. Such believers often express a belief in "revealed truth," and "manifestations of the spirit." Therefore, they will accept as "gospel truth" the rantings of a preacher, or their own conversion experience, or the alleged converstion experience of someone else. The siginificant point is that they believe that god's truth is revealed by the a holy spirit, and that means the allegely divinely-inspired scriptures, and also the alleged "spiritual" experiences of themselves and others. It is a sufficiently flexible basis for belief to admit of no end of nonsense.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:14 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
....ya have to exogete the text...........

Oh man, folks like this crack me up. The word you want exegete, and it is a noun, not a verb. An exegete is someone who interprets a text. Exegesis means the interpretation of a text, and it is not limited to religious scripture.

Yes, exegesis is crucial to the religionist, because they otherwise are faced with the patent, literal meaning of the words of scripture, and that usually is at variance with the preferred practices and prejudices.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:41 pm
Mame wrote:
conservative christians take the bible literally?

In that case, that explains why you believe the world is 10,000 yrs old. I googled it yesterday, after our chat, and learned about creationists... there was also a group known as Recent somethings (just left my head, darn)...

Mame, I am afraid that conservative christians aren't a very good example. Religion shouldn't be reduced to stupid arguments about the age the the world.

The value of true religion is to inspire individuals to live better lives and perhaps to love and care for those around them. There are plenty of examples of good religion-- the Quakers hiding, and feeding slaves; German Menonites hiding Jews during the Holocaust; Martin Luther King using religion to inspire thousands in noviolent protest..

Today's conservative Christians are about forcing their views about homosexuality on others (which given what Jesus said about judging others is a problem), about patriotism (which given what Jesus said about not living for a Earthly kingdom is also a problem), and about keeping guns.

But there are Christians today who are worthy of respect. Remember the people who were captured in Iraq a while back who were "peacekeepers". Not much was said about this in the mainstream press other than that they were captured, but they were Menonites who risked their lives (much like Jesus did) to bring a message of love and peace to people who are considered our enemies.

"Love you enemies" is something I heard once-- but you don't hear it much from Conservative Christians.

Conservative Christians are nothing like the Jesus in the Bible, either in what they say or what they do. They have a religion that is harsh, unforgiving, judgemental and nationalistic.

But don't judge all religions-- or even all Christians based on them.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
Mame, biblical literalist is the only term with which i am familiar for such as you refer to. It is worth noting, howerver, that such people do not rely solely upon what they claim the bible means. Such believers often express a belief in "revealed truth," and "manifestations of the spirit." Therefore, they will accept as "gospel truth" the rantings of a preacher, or their own conversion experience, or the alleged converstion experience of someone else. The siginificant point is that they believe that god's truth is revealed by the a holy spirit, and that means the allegely divinely-inspired scriptures, and also the alleged "spiritual" experiences of themselves and others. It is a sufficiently flexible basis for belief to admit of no end of nonsense.

It's called "Recent Creation" - the theory.
0 Replies