Church Fires Teacher for Being Female

Intrepid

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 06:48 am
Re: Church Fires Teacher for Being Female
yaxloe wrote:
welllll, this simply shows that the pastors, church administrators and their governing bodies need to have a better review of their bible, because somewhere there in that bible with respect to pauls letters, it clearly says that women when preaching or doing similar things have to just cover their hair with a cloth(eg like how a catholic nun does) as a sign of respect for ........

Um, perhaps you need to also re-read. What you are referring to is the verse where it says women must cover their head when praying...not preaching. Rather than just say "somewhere in the bible" it might be better to actually look it up and know what you are posting about.

1 Corinthians 11:3  But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
1 Corinthians 11:5  But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

I had also considered this when I posted my answer, but realized that it would be as wrong as those folks who used their reasons against that Sunday School teacher.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:23 am
So women can prophecy, but not preach? What a screwed up bunch of hateful old misogynists the religionists are.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 08:52 am
prophecy in the ot means to foretell but in the new testament its forthtell...which is preaching......women can preach.....there are women prophets in the nt....they just can't pastor.....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 09:22 am
Fortell, forthtell, pastor, preach, pray, teach kids... whatever... why is it a bunch of men are telling these women what they can and cannot do?

Oh, this is a rhetorical question, by the way.

It's all about power and control, of course... what else is new? Substitute any race for 'woman' and it's the same thing. Subjugation of one group (or many groups) by another.

Bah.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 09:32 am
Mame
Mame wrote:
Fortell, forthtell, pastor, preach, pray, teach kids... whatever... why is it a bunch of men are telling these women what they can and cannot do?
Oh, this is a rhetorical question, by the way.
It's all about power and control, of course... what else is new? Substitute any race for 'woman' and it's the same thing. Subjugation of one group (or many groups) by another.
Bah.

You got that right!

BBB
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:02 am
Quote:
whatever... why is it a bunch of men are telling these women what they can and cannot do?

what "women" i thought that this was about one lady ...in the article the pastor's wife was the one who sent the letter to the sunday school teacher...so we can't just blame a bunch of men
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:11 am
kate4christ03 wrote:

what "women" i thought that this was about one lady ...in the article the pastor's wife was the one who sent the letter to the sunday school teacher...so we can't just blame a bunch of men

From the statement of the pastor:

Quote:
The meeting in which our Board made this decision took place on the evening of Wednesday, August 9th at 6:30 p.m. On Thursday, August 10th the letter was mailed to Ms. Lambert.

The member's of the Board are all and only males.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:15 am
Actually, I'm talking about the original bunch of men, in the bible, continuing right on up to today's men who believe in that hooey. Any body of people who do this to others is who I'm talking about, today or yesterday or tomorrow.

Don't be so literal, katie-girl.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:17 am
Quote:
The letter was signed, "Thank you for your anticipated cooperation. Very truly yours, Kendra LaBouf." Kendra is the wife of City Council Member and Pastor Tim LaBouf.

that is what i was referring to........we don't know the belief of the majority of the church and if women aren't included in this belief...my whole point is that we can't blame only men....many women feel this way also abuot this verse
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:29 am
This is an issue of religious diversity.

If you think that people should be free to hold to the religious tradition of their choice, than you should accept their practices when they do. Diversity means that people will have different practices, beliefs and customs. Tolerance means we will accept this as part of living in a pluralistic society and respect their right to be different.

The Bible is clear in its prohibition about women "having authority" over men and a person who believes they should live their lives according to a strict interpretation of the Bible will live this way.

Of course, it is not only Christians with this type of practice, Orthodox Jews have similar rules as do Muslims and Hindus.

And before anyone jumps off the handle--- we are talking here about gender roles in the context of religious worship. No one is being hurt by this action. No one is being forced to do anything (except perhaps for this woman who chose to be in this religion). The woman is free to go to another church or religion if she can't live by the belief of this one.

This is a pastor making a decision as part of the religious beliefs of his congregation. If this is an issue, it is an private issue for the church.. and the church has adaquate mechanisms to resolve it without the intolerant scorn of outsiders.

Let them be.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:34 am
Of course this woman can go and join another faith, and should, if she doesn't like the rules of this one... that sort of goes without saying, doesn't it?

Isn't that why there are so many churches/sects/faiths out there?

What I was referring to was not about religion at all - it was about control and power. This is possibly the wrong forum for that discussion.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:43 am
Mame
Mame wrote:
Of course this woman can go and join another faith, and should, if she doesn't like the rules of this one... that sort of goes without saying, doesn't it?
What I was referring to was not about religion at all - it was about control and power. This is possibly the wrong forum for that discussion.

Mame, I disagree that this is not the proper forum. After all, organized religion is all about "control and power."

BBB
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:52 am
Well, BBB, it seems I've stepped on a toe or two and I don't feel like a battle. I'm not the least bit religious and am completely out of my depth in a religion forum Laughing

I couldn't quote you - yes, John 3:18 (?) - For God so loved his only begotten son... okay, that was my best shot...

I only came here because of the word 'spiritual' and was taking a break from trivia :wink:

What do YOU think about the article?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:00 am
Re: Mame
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Mame wrote:

Mame, I disagree that this is not the proper forum. After all, organized religion is all about "control and power."

BBB

I must disagree with you on that BBB. Sure, some denominations and some churches may be like that. Not all. I cannot understand why people lump everything that they do not like or understand into one huge pot. Perhaps some are so used to seeing such things in their own or other churches that they thing all are alike. Not so.

I am also not used to individual congregations running things as they see fit. I am more and more convinced that I made the right choice when I joined my church. I can go into any of our churches anywhere in the world and expect to find exactly the same thing.

What I do not find is the judgemental and sometimes insane rhetoric that I so often read about.

I agree that women should be free to teach within the church. I do not, however, agree with women holding Ministerial office.

ebrown_p made some very good points in his, IMO, excellent post.

As far as Setana's post goes, I will post the following:

That there were females in the early Christian church who corresponded to those known among the Jews in some measure as endowed with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, cannot be doubted. What was their precise office, and what was the nature of the public services in which they were engaged, is not however known. That they prayed is clear; and that they publicly expounded the will of God is apparent also. As the presumption is, however, that they were inspired, their example is no warrant now for females to take part in the public services of worship, unless they also give evidence that they are under the influence of inspiration, and the more especially as the apostle Paul has expressly forbidden their becoming public teachers; 1 Tim. 2:12. If it is now pled, from this example, that women should speak and pray in public, yet it should be just so far only as this example goes, and it should be only when they have the qualifications that the early "prophetesses" had in the Christian church. If there are any such; if any are directly inspired by God, there then will be an evident propriety that they should publicly proclaim the will, and not till then. It may be further observed, however, that the fact that Paul here mentions the custom of women praying or speaking publicly in the church, does not prove that it was right or proper. His immediate object now was not to consider whether the practice was itself right, but to condemn the manner of its performance as a violation of all the proper rules of modesty and of subordination. On another occasion, in this very epistle, he fully condemns the practice in any form, and enjoins silence on the female members of the church in public
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:02 am
Mame wrote:
Well, BBB, it seems I've stepped on a toe or two and I don't feel like a battle. I'm not the least bit religious and am completely out of my depth in a religion forum Laughing

I couldn't quote you - yes, John 3:18 (?) - For God so loved his only begotten son... okay, that was my best shot...

I only came here because of the word 'spiritual' and was taking a break from trivia :wink:

What do YOU think about the article?

Laughing

Hi Mame,

Just so you will know for future reference. The verse that you were alluding to is John 3:16

See you in Trivia

:wink:
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:10 am
Hi Intrepid Smile

Thanks - I was close, though, wasn't I?

I'll definitely see you over there!

Peace out
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:25 am
Mame
Mame, don't be intimidated. Your opinions have as much value as any others.

I'm an atheist. But I have no objection to spirituality. Dogma is what I object to.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:14 pm
Hey BBB:

Thanks, and ditto to what you said about spirituality and dogma.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:20 pm
Intrepid, if you're going to copy and paste from an off-site source, have the honesty and integrity to acknowledge your source, if you don't actually link it. Based on your contributions here, i don't for a moment beleive that you are the author of that screed.

As for the topic of Christian attitudes toward women: What a screwed up bunch of hateful old misogynists the religionists are.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
As for the topic of Christian attitudes toward women: What a screwed up bunch of hateful old misogynists the religionists are.

Yes, you got that right... at least THOSE religionists.
0 Replies