dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:09 am
smorgs wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Quote:
Do you dare utter the sacred expression in sneerance, woman?/QUOTE]

Not sneerance - I was paying homage...

x

Then verily, let us embrace and be friends!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:13 am
hingehead wrote:
omigod deb - I think you stumbled onto something there, tongue firmly in cheek. Blind acquiescence to authority, no sense of doubt, the fear when deeply held beliefs are questioned, cognitive dissonance, the inability to appreciate irony! I understand Bernard! Where's my gun?

Here, use mine . . . it's loaded and ready to go . . . here, let me get the door for you . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:17 am
Buy the bye, i believe that the Cunning Coney missed the meaning of Hingehead's call for a firearm . . . i believe it is his intent to rid the world of Possum R. Fartbubble--i will do anything to assist him.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:23 am
dlowan wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Blac Kadder is but the straw on the floor of the basement bar that is Python, m'lady.

Minimally a requirement for politicians, though I think a run-of-the-mill passing-the-chaff as-'twere knowledge sufficient as a requirement for the concerned citizenry. Verbatim recitation is fine for the devoted and the academic, but is likely too much to accomplish for us regular folk. The politicos, by their turn and their presumption, shall be ajudged on their knowledge of the scriptures by the nearest mob of common rabble. Shouts of "Welease Rodewick" and the like signal denial to the pursuit of public office.

I believe it possible that a conservative party leader here once lost an "unloseable" election because he did not know what a Dalek was.

Understandable, "exterminate" being the basis of sound public policy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:36 am
Setanta wrote:
Buy the bye, i believe that the Cunning Coney missed the meaning of Hingehead's call for a firearm . . . i believe it is his intent to rid the world of Possum R. Fartbubble--i will do anything to assist him.

Oh?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:38 am
patiodog wrote:
dlowan wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Blac Kadder is but the straw on the floor of the basement bar that is Python, m'lady.

Minimally a requirement for politicians, though I think a run-of-the-mill passing-the-chaff as-'twere knowledge sufficient as a requirement for the concerned citizenry. Verbatim recitation is fine for the devoted and the academic, but is likely too much to accomplish for us regular folk. The politicos, by their turn and their presumption, shall be ajudged on their knowledge of the scriptures by the nearest mob of common rabble. Shouts of "Welease Rodewick" and the like signal denial to the pursuit of public office.

I believe it possible that a conservative party leader here once lost an "unloseable" election because he did not know what a Dalek was.

Understandable, "exterminate" being the basis of sound public policy.

Lately it certainly is.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:40 am
I hear tell that Tony Blair has mastered stairs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:54 am
There is a wonderful example of this in the case of Ronald Reagan.

Reagan, once a registered Democrat and President of the Screen Actors Guild, was thought (records prove with justification) to have been a snitch to the House Un-American Activities committee (the springboard for Richard Nixon's career) investigation of Hollywood "commies." It was not a case of "you'll never work in this town again," but Reagan's B movie career dried up. He got a role, however, in the western television series Death Valley Days, in the 1960s before his Hollywood career dried up entirely, and he entered politics. One scene stands out in my mind from the series.

Reagan enters a cabin in the mountains, and finds a grizzled old prospector lying on the floor, holding his belly with both hands, apparently covered in blood. Reagan says:

Are ya gut-shot, old timer?

No, i was gored by a butterfly!

Reagan pulls back, non-plussed, and then offers to provide whatever aid he can.

For me, that sums up Reagan. A grasp of the obvious, but no sense of irony.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 07:00 am
Setanta wrote:
There is a wonderful example of this in the case of Ronald Reagan.

Reagan, once a registered Democrat and President of the Screen Actors Guild, was thought (records prove with justification) to have been a snitch to the House Un-American Activities committee (the springboard for Richard Nixon's career) investigation of Hollywood "commies." It was not a case of "you'll never work in this town again," but Reagan's B movie career dried up. He got a role, however, in the western television series Death Valley Days, in the 1960s before his Hollywood career dried up entirely, and he entered politics. One scene stands out in my mind from the series.

Reagan enters a cabin in the mountains, and finds a grizzled old prospector lying on the floor, holding his belly with both hands, apparently covered in blood. Reagan says:

Are ya gut-shot, old timer?

No, i was gored by a butterfly!

Reagan pulls back, non-plussed, and then offers to provide whatever aid he can.

For me, that sums up Reagan. A grasp of the obvious, but no sense of irony.

Irony?

Well, I have not been gored by a butterfly, but I HAVE been bitten (painfully) on one of my tastebuds by a caterpillar.

This was the occasion upon which I determined that sticking one's tongue out at a caterpillar was a dangerous thing, and I have regarded all species and stages of that beast with some concern since.

Well, I might, upon feeling brave, take on a butterfly's egg....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:02 am
dyslexia wrote:
I much prefer Firesign Theatre, however, I am fond of the Monty.

I like Louise Wong: she's got a balcony you could do Shakespeare off of!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:04 am
joefromchicago wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
I much prefer Firesign Theatre, however, I am fond of the Monty.

I like Louise Wong: she's got a balcony you could do Shakespeare off of!
We're surrounded, they are on all three sides of us.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:11 am
Farmerman wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard cannot distinguish the musings of an author from the facts of history. Too bad.

end of quote

Since I know you are well read, Mr. Farmerman and have a good grasp of History, perhaps you can help me.

You see, Mr. Farmerman, I read Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" several times and have read some very glowing reviews of that book but perhaps you can take a few moments to show me where the "musings of an author" begin and where "the facts of history" stop.

I would be very obliged to you if you would do that for me. I would, of course, then begin to look at almost all of what Shirer wrote with a jaundiced eye.

Please allow me, Mr. Farmerman, to quote from his book so that you can separate the MUSINGS from the FACTS.

FACT OR MUSING?

P. 291

"Two days later, on March l, Hitler reached his decision, somewhat to the consternation of his generals, most of whom were convinced that the French would make mincemeat of the small German forces which had been gathered for the move into the Rhineland"

and

FACT OR MUSING?

"Blomberg issued formal orders for the occupation of the Rhineland. It was, he told the senior commanders of the armed forces, to be a surprise move. Blomberg expected it to be a peaceful operation.If it turned out that it was not--that is, that the French would fight..as would be confirmed from the testimony of the generals at Nuremberg,Blomberg had already in mind , a hasty retreat back over the Rhine"

FACT OR MUSING?

"As Jodl testified at Nuremberg, "Considering the situation we were in, the French covering army could have blown us to pieces?

FACT OR MUSING?

'Hitler himself admitted as much, "A retreat on our part would have spelled collapse"

FACT OR MUSING?

"And yet France was entitled, under the terms of the Locarno Treaty to take military action against the presence of German troops in the militarized zone"

I hope you can help-Farmerman!!

And so, I say again, with France willing to send the HUGE support of 400( fourhundred) troops to Lebanon, the French prove again that they are spineless cowards, as they showed in 1936 when they could have repelled Hitler and probably have dealt him a death blow!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:40 am
And the English let Hitler take Czechoslovakia in a show of appeasement - clearly the English are cowards too. On the other hand the US dropped approximately 6 pounds per head of toxins on the vietnamese - now that's bravery.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:49 am
"The Germans are after all only going into their own back garden" Lord Lothian.

It was generally believed in the UK that Germany was behaving in a reasonable and understandable manner. (Only the Labour Party had a different view.)

One could get the impression - that is when reading more surces - most believed at that time that some of the terms of Versailles were not appropriate for the 1930's.

It should be noted as well that France was in pre-election time in those days and that Europeans generally didn't want a war in those days.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 01:01 am
I will and can cover those topics, Hingehead, but I am very much afraid that I must insist that I was first in line.

By the way, you must have noticed that I gave a source and page numbers for my quotes. You did not!

The English--cowards??? You can't be talking about the English Army. I was referring to the French Army.

The English--cowards???

Perhaps you mean the leaders in Parliament or Neville Chamberlain?

Shirer says:

"Neville Chamberlain on March 17, two days after Hitler extinguished Czechoslovakia, found that most of the British Press and the House of Commons reacted violently to Hitler's latest agression"

If you think the British were cowards, you know very little about the "Battle of Britain" that was to take place just a couple of months later. During this battle the British fought the Nazis to a standstill while the treacherous French had already set up a Pro-Nazi Vichy French goivernment!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:21 am
Either you've a strange idea of what is " a couple of months" or you need to re-read your Shirer.

Besides, you certainly didn't read all about how the British reacted.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 05:22 am
Not at all. It's well worth it - especially "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:20 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Not at all. It's well worth it - especially "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

Your the alter ego of BerhardR, Brandon? Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:30 am
Now now...no need for arguments. Just remember....

Some things in life are bad. They can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse. When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle, and this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the light side of life... If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten, and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. When you're feeling in the dumps, don't be silly chumps. Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing. And...always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the light side of life... For life is quite absurd, and death's the final word. You must always face the curtain with a bow. Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin. Enjoy it - it's your last change anyhow.
So always look on the bright side of death, just before you draw your terminal breath. Life's a piece of ****, when you look at it. Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true. You'll see it's all a show. Keep 'em laughing as you go. Just remember that the last laugh is on you. And always look on the bright side of life... Always look on the right side of life... (Come on guys, cheer up!) Always look on the bright side of life...Always look on the bright side of life...(Worse things happen at sea, you know.) Always look on the bright side of life... (I mean - what have you got to lose?) (You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing. What have you lost? Nothing!) Always look on the right side of life...

(For those of you that don't know, all credit for my philosophical and mentally stimulating post must go to Mr. Eric Idle)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:40 am
Isn't it awfully nice to have a penis?
Isn't it frightfully good to have a dong?
It's swell to have a stiffy.
It's divine to own a dick,
From the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick.
So, three cheers for your Willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trouser snake,
Your piece of pork, your wife's best friend,
Your Percy, or your cock.
You can wrap it up in ribbons.
You can slip it in your sock,
But don't take it out in public,
Or they will stick you in the dock,
And you won't come back.
0 Replies