Monty Python on Youtube

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:10 am
Monty Python has began uploading high quality videos of clips from Flying Circus. While there aren't a ton of videos up yet, most of my favorites are there. I am guessing more are to come.

Here is one of my favorites, Argument Clinic

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,226 • Replies: 25
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:27 pm
That's not an argument.

Oh, this is abuse.

Sorry!

Stupid git.

PS Thank you!!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:38 pm
Ha!

I could be just arguing in my spare time...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:43 pm
this has always been a fave

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:36 pm
Monty Python is dead. Bereft of life, it has ceased to be, snuffed it, met the Great Master of Light Entertainment in the Sky, and is pining for the fjords.

This is a late Python.
Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:41 pm
@Thomas,
No No.. they are just resting. Remarkable comedy group, aren't they. They've got beautiful plotlines..
dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:11 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

No No.. they are just resting. Remarkable comedy group, aren't they. They've got beautiful plotlines..

Oh wow!!! Are many American folk of your generation fans?

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:18 pm
@dlowan,
If I had to generalize, Id say most males from my generation are fans of the classics. I can't recall seeing an entire episode of the original Flying Circus. I think I've just seen "Best Of" types of shows. I haven't seen all their movies, just Holy Grail and Life of Brian.

From the flying circus, I can probably count the number of sketches I know on my fingers.. but I really enjoy the ones I do know. Many of their songs annoy me.

I would guess I am pretty representative of most males in my generation. If anything, most probably only know/like the Holy Grail, and might not have seen other movies or sketches. I've yet to meet a girl my age who enjoys them, but I'm sure they are out there.
Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:23 pm
@dlowan,
In addition to what Nick says, Monty Python is a bedrock of the international geek/nerd culture. One of the major computer programming languages -- my personal favorite as it happens -- is named after them.

Besides -- did you mean "oh wow" in a good way or a bad way?
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:28 pm
Bridging the generational gap: South Park tribute to Monty Python
dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:45 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Great!!!

In my generation women loved them too......though I guess we tended towards the nerdish????

Thomas wrote:

In addition to what Nick says, Monty Python is a bedrock of the international geek/nerd culture. One of the major computer programming languages -- my personal favorite as it happens -- is named after them.

Besides -- did you mean "oh wow" in a good way or a bad way?

Wow in a good way, of course.

I hesitate to use Python references here because a lot do not get them, I shall do so more in future.

I will never forget the impact of the first episode, and, even more so, the second, in my class at school. It was an all girls' school, too. Lots of us were bowled over and were eagerly re-telling the skits for hours. Didn't noticee the sexism (which Cleese has since commented on, as more a nerd thing than anything...) then.

My ex, who is a sound person fort television, was in England working for the Beebs during that era.

He had come back from a miserable, freezing, sodden three months filming out in the weather.

Apparently, the Beebs used to post new projects for people to express interest in working on, and he saw something about a circus. "No bloody way" he said, thinking about more miserable outdoors work.

It was, of course, the first season of Monty Python. I suspect he still kicks himself occasionally.

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:47 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Lol.....I often love South Park, too!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:50 pm
@dlowan,
What generation am I? (Somewhere between deb and Nick I guess...)

I love 'em and have since I was probably 12 or so.
dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:52 pm
@sozobe,
I think you're closer to Nick's?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
In my generation women loved them too......though I guess we tended towards the nerdish????

I'm surprised. I mean, besides the dead parrot sketch, the bunny of horror, the The Holy Grail witch scene, and Brian's mother -- what have the Pythons ever done for you?
dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:15 pm
@Thomas,
Made me laugh and helped develop a sense of the ridiculous that has enriched my life beyond measure. I was raised in a family and milieu with practically no sense of humour.

Oh...but you were not serious, were you?

The Bunny of horror hasa been of some small utility to me in my later years, I must say.
Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:26 pm
@dlowan,
dlowah wrote:

I was just faithfully paraphrasing a key scene from Brian.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:29 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas Eunt domus.
dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:30 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

dlowah wrote:

I was just faithfully paraphrasing a key scene from Brian.

Lol...I KNOW!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:30 pm
@ebrown p,
The number of the noun"Thomas" is singular. So the verb must be ... well?