"An epidemic of overwork among ordinary Americans"?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 10:17 pm
36 is definitely more sane to me that 40 - not to mention 60 or 80.

I'll agree that only the most involved will enjoy the 80, and aver that the rest of their life will suffer over time, possibly worth it or not.

If you are brilliant in whatever and totally get joy etc from the, oh, say, 70 hours delving, and it's your life's work, go for it.

My husband used to write nearly all the time, and I didn't really mind.

I am often amazed, though, at how widely knowledgeable some who work intense hours are. But maybe they are just knowledgeable about allied fields. People who are good in physics are often good in music, and so on.

I remember a post doc telling me, osso, we're all social retards.
Maybe, maybe not. One of my bosses was.

For the rest of us who have yearnings outside of our work, work time could be more efficient. That depends somewhat on the business.
In my last partnership, and on my own before that, some of the most efficient time was at the end of the day, when the phones stopped, we took up a small glass of wine (small because we were soon to drive however few blocks), and started tossing ideas on the different projects, having spent the rest of the day on a lot of detailed stuff. A lot of plans came together when we were most lethargic, one of us changing the cd, one finding clean glasses, both staring at drawings and what-if-ing.

I am not sure busyness in itself is all so efficient. Or that compiled hours make the mark all the time.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 01:13 am
nimh wrote:
In Holland, the standard working week is 36 hours. How that works is like this: people work a 40-hour week, but save up 4 hours "ADV" (Labour time reduction), which they can take up in the form of extra free days.

Here's a striking indication of "what "most people" experience" on that topic, from an announcement of an article in Trouw [my translation]:

Quote:
40-hour working week / the Dutch are attached to their part-time day

The [Christian-Democratic] CDA wants to reintroduce the 40-hour working week. But the Dutch are attached to their parttime job. Only 6 per cent says they'd want to work longer hours - at least, if they are paid extra for it.

Is the average work week for the "window-front" prostitutes, also 36 hr/week?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 01:24 am
I don't know how it works in The Netherlands, but in Germany, if employed, prostitutes work 40 hours/week (like most others), if self-employed ... well, as long as they want.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:07 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I don't know how it works in The Netherlands, but in Germany, if employed, prostitutes work 40 hours/week (like most others), if self-employed ... well, as long as they want.

In your carreer as a social worker, have you met many prostitutes who are employed? I thought the usual deal in Germany is that they work freelance and pay the madam (rather high) rent for the rooms they use.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:13 am
Quote:
I thought the usual deal in Germany is that they work freelance

Freelance is the same thing as self-employed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:14 am
Thomas wrote:

In your carreer as a social worker, have you met many prostitutes who are employed? I thought the usual deal in Germany is that they work freelance and pay the madam (rather high) rent for the rooms they use.

Haven't met them personally but know of such from friends in the County Health Office and the tax authorities.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:14 am
Miller wrote:
Quote:
I thought the usual deal in Germany is that they work freelance

Freelance is the same thing as self-employed.

I know. What's your point?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:17 am
Here, in our county (like elsewhere) only a smaller percentage of prostitutes are employed. (My guess: 10%)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 02:23 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(My guess: 10%)

Verifying that after a phonecall: between 0% and about 20% in 2005, varies.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:47 am
Miller wrote:
Is the average work week for the "window-front" prostitutes, also 36 hr/week?

I have no idea, Miller. I've only ever known one girl who had worked in the business, as a call girl, and I havent really ever looked into it. I'm sure the legalisation of prostitution a few years ago, which means that women working in clubs started getting legal contracts etc, had some influence. Prostitutes make up a tiny percentage of the national workforce though, so I'm not sure how relevant it is for the national picture re 36-hour working weeks and the like.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 12:47 am
Quote:
I am not sure busyness in itself is all so efficient. Or that compiled hours make the mark all the time.

Amen to that.

Can't really have a good Eureka moment if you're never off in the tub, so to speak.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 03:04 am
nimh wrote:
Prostitutes make up a tiny percentage of the national workforce though, so I'm not sure how relevant it is for the national picture re 36-hour working weeks and the like.

I was thinking the same thing, nimh.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:42 pm
@nimh,
i was workin 80 90 hours a week.

all i got was owing the irs money and a stolen car.

yippee!! america is the ****

on becoming wageslaves, money is the blood of your social life. i have zero money, it means :no girlfriend, unless she is on drugs, which i have just found a girl who does meth but she is asian and hot and i am desperate so, no cr, which easily cuts your job oppurtunities by 3/4..

no house, no food, no rent, no nothing.

we are all wageslaves, regardless of if you accept it or not.
0 Replies