Hourly pay and hours reduced...advice???

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:39 am
I work in a hospital department and am paid hourly. Recently mngt. is complaining that our productivity is low and we need to start cutting back by sending people home early without pay or from vacation bank. I am recently divorced and my income will be reduced next year by over $1000.00/month.
To begin with no communication took place with the staff regarding any of this. They waited until our department lead was on vacation and picked two of my peers to choose who goes home. So when asked if I would go home early I said "No". I don't feel that I should take orders or answer to my peers. I work 4 days/week and this summer have been working 5days/week to cover vacations. So I feel that I've been available to my employers but they are not there for me. So I've been asking questions to try to understand this better...like what is our productivity, how is it determined and how do we improve it. Mind you that we are also available to work over time and on emergency call as well.
So now I think everyone is pissed at me for being vocal when all I want is to understand whats going on and how it will affect my future income.
Sooo, Sept. schedule came out with me working 5 days/week and now its changed to my regular 4 days/week. I feel that I'm being punished for speaking out. Like if they are saying"I'll show you for speaking up"
What do you think......Should I keep my mouth shut and not voice my opinions...Look for another job???? Question Question Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 954 • Replies: 13
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:48 am
Hm, you regularly work 4 days/week and due to staff vacation you
were pushed up to 5 days/week temporarily. In September your schedule
falls back to 4 days/week as usual. I don't think this was done intentially,
however if you need to work more hours, I would approach management
or look for another opportunity that gives you 40 hours per week.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:55 am
It's all a part of bushcos right wing conspiracy to reduce us to a feudal society. The only thing you can do to save yourself is to get out and campaign for Hillary immediately. vive La revolutiion and up the establishment!!!!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:08 pm
Thanks Bi-Polar, that was helpful.

Calamity Jane, Tension is very high in the dept. I've been there for 9 years and we all get along so well that our patients even comment. I'm frustrated because I really love my job and felt very fortunate to work with great people. But now we are all worried about who's turn is it to go home, comments are being made about sitting on our butts....We used to work so well together and now there is so much negative energy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:33 pm
Is someone asked to go home early every day, or is it when the work is done on certain days and there's no reason to have everyone stick around to cover the end of the shift?

I agree with C_Jane that the transition back to 4-days/week is easily explanable by the end of vacation season. I wouldn't take that as a slight. Are your peers all full-time or do they work less than 40 hours/week as well? It seems that there should be an equitable way for all of you to come to an agreement on who should leave early. Perhaps you could rotate it, or generate a calandar and everyone pick days to leave early (I'd volunteer for Fridays).

When does your dept lead return?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:38 pm
This has been pretty recent...just the past 2 weeks people are asked to go home early. In a hospital setting it is uncertain when more work will happen after most people are gone. I'm just worried that I have to come to work not knowing if I'll make a full days pay. Maybe I'm over-reacting since this is new and a change. I don't mind going home early on occassion but worry that this will become more frequent.
As far as going back to my usual 4 days...the schedule was up and visible with my working full time in Sept. and after I voiced my opinion it changed.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:39 pm
My lead is back from vacation.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 12:53 pm
Are you being asked to leave early more often than anyone else? Obviously, if the situation continues and you no longer have a job that allows you to pay your bills and provide for your family then you will have to look for something else. Either another part time job to fill the gap or a different job with more stability. If you love the job then I'd stick it out for a while to see how the dust settles.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:06 pm
I've always been pretty quiet and non-confrontational at work. I think my problem is that going through my divorce has made me a little more tough skinned and I voice my feelings more. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and waited to see how things went for the next couple of weeks. Sometimes I feel compelled to speak out. It's like I can't help it.
Anyway, I have been very stressed over the decline in my income since my husband left me. I supported him for the first 5 years of our marriage and after 15 years he leaves me. He makes 6 figures now and all I get is 2 years support. Just stressed about my future!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 02:10 pm
Martybarker--

Welcome to A2K.

Divorce is stressful in itself without extra stress from a job.

Is there someone in charge that you could go to and ask what is going on? Surely the hospital would rather that people were working with facts rather than rumors.

Is there a Personnel Director?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 02:29 pm
We are having a staff meeting in 2 weeks only because a few of us requested it. I'm just so frustrated right now. But as you read my frustrations are coming from many different directions.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:24 pm
marty--

Hang on.

Labor Day ends not only summer, but the confusion of summer vacations and summer irregularities.

This too shall pass.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:35 pm
Thanks Noddy,
You as well as others have given me great advice since I joined. I have no regrets chatting with you all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:37 pm
marty--

I'm glad you can enjoy yourself here. I remember being Single Again and it was no fun at all.
0 Replies