the sources of happiness

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 07:27 am
although we are complex beings, and emotion is one of the most difficult to predict and classify, it has occured to me that there seem to be just a few basic underlying things that cause happiness.

here is my hasty attempt to categorize those sources:

- passion
- personal connection
- accomplishment
- exploration
- humor

you might add a 6th category for drugs, but even though that can be a big part of our lives it does not really count, because we already know that happiness is chemically induced and so finding chemicals that cut right to the chase is cheating Razz

it should be noted that these categories should be interpreted broadly, and from an emotional perspective. for instance, exploration could be exploration of a new land, of an old photograph collection, of a new field of science, etc. what i wanted to capture in this category was the sense of satisfying one's curiosity in some area.

by passion, i refer not only to direct stimulation but to the whole process of meeting someone new and getting to know them in a romantic way, the whole of which i thing is an emotional process dominated by pleasing hormones.

what do you think? can you think of examples of happiness that don't fit into these categories? is there a finite set of categories of things that can bring us happiness?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,345 • Replies: 32
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 07:29 am
Chocolate!

(it's a chemical thing too)

...and love!

x
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 07:31 am
Love

and

Creating.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 07:37 am
Creating is just a form of accomplishment

Love...yes I should have mentioned this because it is quite an important one. My thinking on this is that what we call love can really be broken into 2 parts; the passion part, which is how it starts, and then after that it would become just personal connection. That we may reserve a special level of attention for a few important people doesn't fundamentally change the emotional source of happiness, I think.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:31 am
Happiness is a transitory and relative state. It may result from any number of pleasurable conditions that cater to the ego's needs. As such, blind efforts to achieve and maintain happiness are also the source the source of suffering. Only when we move beyond the ego and unreasonable selfish desires is lasting "happiness" possible. Once we conditionally accept the conditions of perceptive reality, we can become content and suffering loses its power over us.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:42 am
stuh505 wrote:

Love...yes I should have mentioned this because it is quite an important one. My thinking on this is that what we call love can really be broken into 2 parts; the passion part, which is how it starts, and then after that it would become just personal connection. That we may reserve a special level of attention for a few important people doesn't fundamentally change the emotional source of happiness, I think.

Mostly I agree, but I wonder what "accomplishment" you are talking: The accomplishment of accomplishing, or the accomplishment of merely doing and struggling and venturing.
Personally speaking I place more emphasis on the latter

Love.
haha I read an article on National Geographic that two "love"s have their own different chemical sponsors.

Anyway, nice to meet you Stuh.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:45 am
Asherman wrote:
Happiness is a transitory and relative state. It may result from any number of pleasurable conditions that cater to the ego's needs. As such, blind efforts to achieve and maintain happiness are also the source the source of suffering. Only when we move beyond the ego and unreasonable selfish desires is lasting "happiness" possible. Once we conditionally accept the conditions of perceptive reality, we can become content and suffering loses its power over us.

Sounds like Epicurus Smile

So, you have reached that state?
0 Replies

Sweet Thistle Pie

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:51 am
I think your definition of the word passion is too narrow. I took it to mean the fire and enthusiasm of doing something that excites you, and as such, would be something that is integral in the pursuit of happiness.

I don't believe that romantic passion is a necessary proponent of happiness.
0 Replies

Sweet Thistle Pie

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:55 am
On second thought, forget all that ****. Good drugs. That's the ticket. Smile
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:56 am
yes, good drugs and chocolate

x
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:57 am
Asherman wrote:
Happiness is a transitory and relative state.

Transitory? I agree, although you seem to contradict yourself on this in the next few sentences.

Quote:
It may result from any number of pleasurable conditions that cater to the ego's needs.

Well this is quite a bold statement in which you basically claim to know much more about happiness than it is possible for you to know. If you consider the sources of happiness to be infinite, and wish to make your point, you must demonstrate it with some evidence or logical reasoning.

It is also entirely unclear that happiness is only achievable by satisfying one's ego. Many of the broad categories I have already described are counterexamples to the general principle you have so casually put forth as though it were fact...

Quote:
As such, blind efforts to achieve and maintain happiness are also the source the source of suffering.

I am not sure what specific examples you are thinking of, but I must vehemently disagree about this statement in general. I believe that people are very much capable of consciously guiding their own happiness by seeking out their own sources of happiness. If we can go beyond that, and recognize with greater precision what makes us individually happy, we will become even more capable of satisfying ourselves.

Quote:
Only when we move beyond the ego and unreasonable selfish desires is lasting "happiness" possible. Once we conditionally accept the conditions of perceptive reality, we can become content and suffering loses its power over us.

Already in the same paragraph you stated that satisfying our egos would bring us temporary happiness. Now you state that only by depriving our egos of satisfaction can we attain lasting happiness. These two statements are not logical contradictions, but for them both to be true necessarily implies that there are two separate deep mechanisms for happiness...and I see no evidence whatsoever to support the truth of that. I find it much more reasonable to believe that happiness is chemically induced and that the same fundamental things will always cause those reactions to occur.

Furthermore, you have already stated that happiness is relative. If I take your meaning correctly, then I do agree on this point, and furthermore conclude that it contradicts the previous point I was arguing, making the notion of "lasting happiness" impossible! If indeed happiness is relative, how could we possibly maintain a state of prolonged happiness? Would the relative nature of happiness, over time, degrade that sensation of happiness until it literally was no more? A drug addict who attempts to maintain prolonged happiness soon becomes accustomed to it, and it becomes more and more difficult to feel happiness at all. If happiness is relative, it is necessary to have sadness to appreciate it.

Sadness is, furthermore, a natural part of life that we should not attempt to exempt ourselves from completely.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:57 am
http://crusades.boisestate.edu/pics/crusades/128.jpg

This was the painting of an aging crusader returning home. What did he get? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. No glory. No fortune. No eternity of life. No cleaning of "sins". Then what's the value of him? The movableness and his life itself insists he must have a certain amount of value. Then I suspect it may lies in this soldier's life of battling, struggling, fighting for what he thinks to be right, in every sword he possessed, in every footprint he stamped down, in every view he beheld along the journey. Thus when looking back, one may not be able to say "I have done that", but rather, raised his stubborn head, wistfully as well as triumphantly:"I have gone through that."

That's my view of "accomplishment"
0 Replies

Sweet Thistle Pie

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:59 am
smorgs wrote:
yes, good drugs and chocolate

x

I'm allergic to chocolate. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:05 am
I'm longing to see Asherman's response

(I suspect it's actually more a difference between generations rather than beliefs.)
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:06 am
Or perhaps, J-B, he feels the weight of guilt upon his shoulders for all the innocents he has so ruthlessly invaded, slaughtered raped and pillaged in the name of the Pope.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:17 am
Yes. I am just taking it subjectively in line with my thoughts and feelings. Actually another fact is this warrior was very very sad. He didn't realize his value as a living being as I said he should realize.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:42 am
I would add love and luck to your list, Stuh (where have you been all
these months?)

Without a certain amount of luck your opportunities to accomplish what
you've set out to do, might not be as readily available. There are many
brilliant people out there who are just waiting for their lucky moment,
some forever.

And love - without love in your corner, everything else has no meaning.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 10:13 am
Hey Jane,

I took a long break from forums and concentrated on being productive in my real life! Now I'm in a new place (Raleigh) and starting a new life (entering a PhD program).

Love was mentioned, and I commented on that already.

As for luck, well luck itself does not make one happy, although things that happen luckily can. I think the interpersonal aspects of that are covered but perhaps not the materialistic ones.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 10:46 am
PhD in Philoshopy?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:04 am
Haha no, I hate philosophy! It's the debate part I like. No, it'll be in computer science.
0 Replies