the sources of happiness

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:13 am
Re: the sources of happiness
stuh505 wrote:
although we are complex beings, and emotion is one of the most difficult to predict and classify, it has occured to me that there seem to be just a few basic underlying things that cause happiness.

here is my hasty attempt to categorize those sources:

- passion
- personal connection
- accomplishment
- exploration
- humor

you might add a 6th category for drugs, but even though that can be a big part of our lives it does not really count, because we already know that happiness is chemically induced and so finding chemicals that cut right to the chase is cheating Razz

it should be noted that these categories should be interpreted broadly, and from an emotional perspective. for instance, exploration could be exploration of a new land, of an old photograph collection, of a new field of science, etc. what i wanted to capture in this category was the sense of satisfying one's curiosity in some area.

by passion, i refer not only to direct stimulation but to the whole process of meeting someone new and getting to know them in a romantic way, the whole of which i thing is an emotional process dominated by pleasing hormones.

what do you think? can you think of examples of happiness that don't fit into these categories? is there a finite set of categories of things that can bring us happiness?

If you're a homeless person, living off of grabage and sleeping in cardboard boxes, happiness is a full meal ( home-cooked)
and a nice, warm, clean bed ...
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:23 am
Very Happy

awesome
0 Replies

pajamazzon

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 11:50 pm
i love chocolate too. I think self fulfillment is one source of happiness, and also contentment, which is basically hard to achieve nowaydays in this fast paced world Laughing
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 12:06 am
Quote:
If you're a homeless person, living off of grabage and sleeping in cardboard boxes, happiness is a full meal ( home-cooked)
and a nice, warm, clean bed ...

Ok, good point. This doesn't really fit into any of the categories I had thought of. Let me think about what is the actually causing you to be happy here...I think, it is satisfaction at being able to relax and feel some relief, something that a person feels that they deserve but were not getting. Perhaps we could say that, if there are sources of unhappiness, then abatement of those causes is equal to happiness. This would come back to the "happiness is relative" idea. Another way of looking at it is that the person has wanted to have these basic amenities for a while, and after finally getting them, they have accomplished a goal -- accomplishment / achievement, this was one of the things I listed already.

Quote:
I think self fulfillment is one source of happiness, and also contentment, which is basically hard to achieve nowaydays in this fast paced world Laughing

Be more specific please, I don't know what you're talking about.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:18 am
Now this is a topic I am interested in. Right now, anyways.

I don't think there are sources of happiness. Rather, there are certain conditions that need to met so that a person is able to experience enough happiness (full range of human experience). Happiness is essential. Too much grieve and sadness and we sink like a rock, don't move, don't accomplish, don't make connections. ..etc.

Some of those conditions, as far as I am concerned:
*good amount of Peace (internally especially, but externally as well)
*food, shelter, water, love: basic physical needs met
*Sanity ...though that is a form of Peace, if you like

The rest is gravy. Good health is nice.

I view Peace, Love, Personal connection as necessities of life. Not sources of happiness. We all know personal connection, love, accomplishment, etc...can be sources of woe if we are so inclined to approach them as such. Or if we can't 'feel' or 'connect' to it in any meaningful way.

I wonder where you would fit that deep sense of joy one sometimes get watching a child play, or an animal romp, or the sun rising?
There's no action going on with the person...just soaking up and able to experience life. Rather than being numb and hard.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:21 am
How about the source of happiness being "you"?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 08:23 am
Quote:
How about the source of happiness being "you"?

That's obvious but unhelpful. The reason I am thinking about this question is because achieving happiness is the ONLY thing one must accomplish to be satisfied with one's life. If there is anything that will degrade from the quality of one's life it will affect the person's happiness, so we only need to maximize happiness.

Therefore, if we can get a firm grasp on exactly what it is we do that causes these chemical reactions of happiness to occur in our brain consistently, we can tailor our lives to make them better. If I have a child, my behavior will serve as a role model and I will be in the unique position of guiding his values and beliefs. But what values and beliefs would be best to instill? I first must attempt to understand happiness so that I can answer that question.

Perhaps you find this ridiculous and think that I should just go with the flow, but I this is my natural thought process for everything.

Quote:
*Sanity ...though that is a form of Peace, if you like

Sanity is not required at all. People with Down's syndrome are very happy. I actually think that the more intelligent a person is the more troubled, mentally stressed, and self critical they are...making happiness much more difficult to acquire.

Quote:
The rest is gravy.

I don't agree at all. If I had only peace, basic needs met, and sanity I would be absolutely miserable. If I don't get the other needs I mentioned like exploration to satisfy my curiosity and keep me busy, and a regular sense of accomplishment, and laughing, I would probably just dwindle away to a worthless depressed nothing person.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 02:48 pm
stuh505 wrote:

Sanity is not required at all. People with Down's syndrome are very happy. I actually think that the more intelligent a person is the more troubled, mentally stressed, and self critical they are...making happiness much more difficult to acquire.

Quote:
The rest is gravy.

I don't agree at all. If I had only peace, basic needs met, and sanity I would be absolutely miserable. If I don't get the other needs I mentioned like exploration to satisfy my curiosity and keep me busy, and a regular sense of accomplishment, and laughing, I would probably just dwindle away to a worthless depressed nothing person.

Well, ok. Disagree if you like. I'd like to mention that I agree that your list are all good things, important to 'happiness'.

I totally disagree with your accessment of Sanity, though.
First of all, your example of a person with Down's syndrom in relation to sanity is poor.
A person with Down's syndrom is not necessarily insane, though they might be. But having Down's syndrom does not mean you are insane.
It means you have Down's syndrom, which you might want to do a bit of research on.

Secondly, not all people with Down's syndrom are happy. They are no different from the rest of us: some are happy, some are not, good days and bad days.

Actually, you mentioning that example only makes me feel more strongly that Sanity is important to happiness. And Peace.

I've seen absolutely miserable people, from all levels of ability and/or disability. At least in my experience, that has nothing to do with it.

Like I mentioned earlier, my list was more about pre-conditions for long lasting happiness.

It's hard to be happy when you are out of your mind, or going through a strong manic/paranoid cycle. I've never seen anyone do it. I've seen wicked humor, plodding along until it passes, enduring. Not what one would call 'happiness'.
Just my observations.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 04:11 pm
Quote:
I totally disagree with your accessment of Sanity, though.
First of all, your example of a person with Down's syndrom in relation to sanity is poor.
A person with Down's syndrom is not necessarily insane, though they might be. But having Down's syndrom does not mean you are insane.
It means you have Down's syndrom, which you might want to do a bit of research on.

Ok, I will humor you. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Down's syndrome:

Quote:
Individuals with Down syndrome have lower than average cognitive ability, normally ranging from mild to moderate retardation. Some individuals may have overall average intelligence, but generally will present with some amount of developmental disability such as a tendency toward concrete thinking or naivete. There is also a small number of individuals with Down syndrome with severe to profound mental retardation. The incidence of Down syndrome is estimated at 1 per 800 to 1 per 1000 births.

I didn't say people with Down's syndrome were insane (which carries a much stronger connotation than just being not sane). I mentioned that people with Down's syndrome could often be very happy, which carried with it the implication that I did not consider people with Down's syndrome to be sane.

Sanity is described in the dictionary as "soundness of mindd, judgement or reason." Therefore, people with Down's syndrome are generally not sane.

Quote:
Secondly, not all people with Down's syndrom are happy. They are no different from the rest of us: some are happy, some are not, good days and bad days.

Well, you didn't say that saneness could contribute to happiness, you just said that "Rather, there are certain conditions that need to met so that a person is able to experience enough happiness" which implies that ONLY sane people can be happy. We only need 1 counterexample person with Down's syndrome to see that's not right...

Thinking about this more, I also don't feel that love is a necessary to be happy. I think that a lack of human connection can prevent happiness, but simple casual friendships without love I think can be sufficient, at least for myself.

Quote:
I've seen absolutely miserable people, from all levels of ability and/or disability. At least in my experience, that has nothing to do with it.

So, then, you don't think sanity is a requirement for happiness? This seems to contradict what you said earlier. Or maybe you are making a distinction between temporary and long-lasting happiness.

Personally I don't think there is ANYTHING that can cause long-lasting happiness. I think that we need constant happiness-stimulation to remain happy for long periods, so if something were to provide long lasting happiness it would have to keep on acting rather than being an "impulse" force.

Quote:

It's hard to be happy when you are out of your mind, or going through a strong manic/paranoid cycle. I've never seen anyone do it. I've seen wicked humor, plodding along until it passes, enduring. Not what one would call 'happiness'.
Just my observations.

Yeah, ok, so maybe we should just say "insanity is a source for unhappiness" rather than saying that "sanity is a requirement for happiness"
0 Replies

A black man

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 03:36 am
In my opinion i don't think anyone in this world is happy,even if our life is perfect we always will envy something or someone else, the queen for example may not be happy because she lives such a public life but someone else may not be happ because they live such a private life, it is incredibly hard to be happy, as humans we always want more, we don't want to stop we want to keep getting better, we never get satisfaction. All life is like this we always want something better, if we were happy with ourselves we would not continue to get better. There is something embedded into us that makes us want to strive for the better that is why so little people are happy
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:20 am
A black man wrote:
In my opinion i don't think anyone in this world is happy,even if our life is perfect we always will envy something or someone else, the queen for example may not be happy because she lives such a public life but someone else may not be happ because they live such a private life, it is incredibly hard to be happy, as humans we always want more, we don't want to stop we want to keep getting better, we never get satisfaction. All life is like this we always want something better, if we were happy with ourselves we would not continue to get better. There is something embedded into us that makes us want to strive for the better that is why so little people are happy

I pretty much agree with you. Little things can make us happy, but nothing by itself makes us happy for a long time...you need to keep getting happiness stimulation from new things to remain happy. Is that what you mean?
0 Replies

A black man

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 06:26 pm
What i mean is that it is extremely hard for us to be happy, our race is never satisfied e.g if a homeless person got a meal he would be happy for a little while but then he sees some people going into a 5 star restaurant, he is not satisfied he wants to make his life better and go eat in that 5 star restaurant. there is always something in our lives that we want to change, and we won't be happy until that is changed, sometimes it will never change and we will never be happy. It is nearly impossible to be happy as a whole there is always something else we want.

This is natural though, if the human race was content with what it had accomplished we would never advance we would stagnate...our race sontinues to advance in many ways because we are not satisfied, we want more. A content and happy world would really be a sad sad place.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 07:02 pm
Listening.
0 Replies