edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:13 pm
I am not indifferent, just filled with the gloom of futility.
Endymion

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:39 am
i must admit - i'm flagging
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 09:19 am
@Endymion,
One might think they would stop bringing babies into such a hellhole. Why would anybody wish to inflict such a life on their own kids totally baffles me.
Endymion

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:01 am
@spendius,

sex is something they CAN do. They can't go to the pub or to the cinema. They can't continue with their degrees. They can't continue with their jobs.
Food is a luxury. These people are traumatised. Is it any wonder that they have sex and make babies? what else could their lives possibly be FOR?
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:14 am
@Endymion,
So what else can the lives of their children be for except to gratify a momentary pang of lust.

An American lady wrote a book once about an animal which existed in permanent agonising pain which was only relieved by copulation. About 20 years ago. I didn't read it but I read a review of it.

Some animals stop breeding in captivity. I daresay, though I don't know, that some stop in difficult conditions.

Would you risk fathering a child if you lived in Gaza?
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:32 am

how can i say? I'm not a Palestinian. I know only a little bit about their culture.
But their life expectancy is much lower than ours - and utterly different
And its not simply about lust. It's about defiance, comfort, wishing for normality.
even around the bloodiest wars there have ever been... life goes on.
But aside from that, I think it is a human right to be able to have a child in peace.
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 02:33 pm
@Endymion,
We can all agree to that.

In a past set-to I saw an Arab woman screaming at Israeli soldiers that no matter how many they killed her side would make some more.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 05:10 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

Yes. Tell me something, edgar!
I have to switch off, the news gets so depressing.
Nothing like stating the obvious, but I simply cannot believe that we humans are still so primitive that we're still fighting wars to resolve conflicts in the 21st century.
This new century has been a huge bloody disappointment so far! Sad
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 08:27 am
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Yes. Tell me something, edgar!
I have to switch off, the news gets so depressing.
Nothing like stating the obvious, but I simply cannot believe that we humans are still so primitive that we're still fighting wars to resolve conflicts in the 21st century.
This new century has been a huge bloody disappointment so far! Sad

Thank you both for saying this.

Last night i heard that a second UN school, where hundreds of civilians were sheltering under the UN flag, was targeted by the Israelis.

At least 46 more innocent people have lost their lives and fifty more are injured and traumatised.

the Palestinian death toll is now reaching 700.
2 and a half, to 3 thousand injured.
i am so disappointed in the human race, i feel sick.

Right at the start of this, a Bosnian man send a message to the people of Gaza.. he said, "No one is coming to rescue you. You have to come to terms with that. They won't do a thing to stop you being slaughtered...so fight. Fight for your lives."

At the time, i told myself he was wrong... surely we had learned something from the Israeli attack on Lebanon?

Surely the world wouldn't stand by and watch the starving Gazans, a defenceless people, with the average age of 17 - get massacred by the 4th most powerful military in the world.

But Israel knew. Israel knew no one would step in to rescue Gaza. Because they remember that no one stepped in to rescue the Jews in Warsaw.
They know that the leaders of western society don't care a fig for human life that isn't culturally allied to them. Either those who died in Warsaw, fighting a superpower with home-made weapons... or those in Gaza dying now.

And we say we are the civilised ones.

Mads Gilbert, a Norwegian doctor in Gaza, tells Sky News that the number of civilians injured and killed in Gaza proves that Israel is deliberately attacking the population.

Quote:
“This is Dante’s Inferno, hell. There are injuries here you just don’t want to see in this world. Children coming in with their abdomens open and legs cut off. We just had a child and we had to amputate both legs and an arm. Their only crime is that they are civilians, Palestinians, living in Gaza. The bombing has to stop immediately. This cannot go on. Anyone who portrays this as a clean war against another army is lying. This is an all out war against the civilian population in Gaza. They cannot flee as other populations can in war time because Israel has them trapped in a cage. Israel is bombing one and a half million people trapped in a cage.”

Stop The War - Emergency Demonstration called
http://www.stopwar.org.uk/
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 09:58 am

Brown urged to 'condemn' Israel

Gordon Brown must "unambiguously condemn" Israel's actions in Gaza, Nick Clegg (Lib Dem leader) has said. He is the first senior UK politician to urge such action.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7815096.stm

Gaza: This is now full-blown crisis, says Red Cross

GAZA is now gripped by a "full-blown" humanitarian crisis, the International Red Cross said last night.
Pierre Kraehenbuehl, its head of operations, said the situation for civilians was "extreme and traumatic as a result of ten days of uninterrupted fighting".

He said Red Cross staff in Gaza had described Monday as "the most frightening of all to date" on account of the ground offensive Israel had launched.
http://news.scotsman.com/world/Gaza-This-is-now-fullblown.4849365.jp

Israeli strike on United Nations-run school in Gaza

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01217/wounded-girl_1217070i.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/4142658/Israeli-strike-on-United-Nations-run-school-in-Gaza.html?image=4

She is no soldier

She is no soldier
the girl with the traumatised eyes
she is only roses
and wears her favourite pink
to feel human in the face of death
How she prolongs my pain
While war as terror
born from blood-lust
sinks forever in her gaze

Endymion 2009

my first poem of 2009 here on the revolution thread...with its big fat O beside it. I don't know if having an O marked for the thread means less people are likely to open it - but i would guess so. shame. i feel i've failed big time...failed those who matter most - like the doctor in the post above... i feel bad for not getting his words out to more people.

sometimes i ask myself what the **** i think i'm doing this for.
Truth is, i don't really have an answer.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 05:10 pm

as i see it - i'm very sorry that Jewish people were treated in such a cruel and sickening way by the Nazis, but standing by and watching the destruction of another race of people does not honour those who died back then

By ignoring international laws and by behaving mercilessly, the Israelis do themselves a great disservice.

Israel May Face Charges for War Crime

by Mel Frykberg
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/01/07-1
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 05:34 pm
just got to get away from it for a while
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 08:10 pm
Published on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 by TruthDig.com

Israeli Voices for Peace

by Amy Goodman

Israel’s assault on Gaza, by air, sea and now land, has killed (at the time of this writing) more than 600 Palestinians, with more than 2,700 injured. Ten Israelis have been killed, three of them Israeli soldiers killed by friendly fire. Beyond the deaths and injuries, the people of Gaza are suffering a dire humanitarian crisis that is dismissed by the Israeli government. There is, however, Israeli opposition to the military assault.

Israeli professor Neve Gordon is chair of the department of politics and government at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in southern Israel, the region most impacted by the Hamas rockets.

Speaking over the phone from Beersheba, Gordon said: “We just had a rocket about an hour ago not far from our house. My two children have been sleeping in a bomb shelter for the past week. And yet, I think what Israel is doing is outrageous. ... The problem is that most Israelis say Israel left the Gaza Strip three years ago and Hamas is still shooting rockets at us. They forget the details. The detail is that Israel maintains sovereignty. The detail is that the Palestinians live in a cage. The detail is that they don’t get basic foodstuff, that they don’t get electricity, that they don’t get water. And when you forget those kinds of details, all you say is, ‘Why are they still shooting at us?’ That’s what the media here has been pumping them with, then you think this war is rational. If you look at what’s been going on in the Gaza Strip in the past three years and you see what Israel has been doing to the Palestinians, you would think that the Palestinian resistance is rational. And that’s what’s missing in the mainstream media here.”

Gordon attended a large peace march last weekend in Tel Aviv with more than 10,000 other Israelis. Longtime Israeli peace activist Uri Avnery was there. He called the invasion “a criminal war, because, on top of everything else it is openly and shamelessly part of Ehud Barak’s and Tzipi Livni’s election campaign. I accuse Ehud Barak of exploiting the IDF [Israel Defense Forces] soldiers in order to get more Knesset seats. I accuse Tzipi Livni of advocating mutual slaughter in order to become prime minister.” Israel’s elections will be in February.

The assault strengthens right-wing Likud Party leader and former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a foremost hawk and leading candidate for prime minister. While Netanyahu fully supports the attack on Gaza, his nephew, Jonathan Ben-Artzi, is an Israeli conscientious objector who was court-martialed and imprisoned for a year and a half. He spoke to me from Providence, R.I., where he is a student at Brown University.

“I’m speaking ... not as anyone’s nephew but ... as an Israeli, trying to speak out to Americans to tell them you don’t have to support Israel blindly. Not everything that Israel does is holy ... sometimes you have to speak firmly to Israel and tell us, tell our government, stop doing this.”

Gideon Levy is a Jewish journalist with the Israeli newspaper Haaretz. He told me: “I think that Israel had this legitimacy to protect its citizens in the southern part of Israel ... but this doing something does not mean this brutal and violent operation. ... I believe we could have got to a new truce without this bloodshed. Immediately to send dozens of jets to bomb a total helpless civilian society with hundreds of bombs"just today, they were burying five sisters. I mean, this is unheard of. This cannot go on like this.”

But it is. The United Nations Relief and Works Agency, UNRWA, in Gaza opened up schools to provide shelter, since Gazans, trapped in this narrow strip of land, have no place to flee. Christopher Gunness of UNRWA told me that the agency provided the coordinates of the schools to the Israeli military. Nevertheless, at least two schools have been hit by Israeli strikes in the past 24 hours. Three people were killed at the Asma elementary school. More than 30 are reported dead and more than 55 injured at the al-Fakhura school in the Jabaliya refugee camp in Gaza.
While Israeli planes drop pamphlets urging Palestinians to leave, the 1.5 million residents of the Gaza Strip, perhaps the most densely populated place on Earth, have no place to run, no place to hide. Calls for an immediate cease-fire are ignored by Israel and blocked by the U.S. government. It is not clear what the Obama administration will do"but the people of Gaza can’t wait until the inauguration. There must be a cease-fire now. And that’s just the beginning.

Denis Moynihan contributed research to this column
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 07:52 pm
The situation In Gaza
http://able2know.org/topic/127812-4#post-3535644

'Waterboarding IS Torture'
" Attorney General-nominee Eric Holder Jr.

In Britain the Foreign Secretary, David Miliband calls 'war on terror' a mistake

The foreign secretary, David Miliband, today argues that the use of the "war on terror" as a western rallying cry since the September 11 attacks has been a mistake that may have caused "more harm than good".

In an article in today's Guardian, five days before the Bush administration leaves the White House, Miliband delivers a comprehensive critique of its defining mission, saying the war on terror was misconceived and that the west cannot "kill its way" out of the threats it faces.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jan/15/war-on-terror-miliband

I wish i could celebrate this good news. And celebrate the end of Bush. I wish a thousand people were not dead in Gaza - then i would be celebrating just a little. It's been a long time coming.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 05:54 am
OMG- STUDENTS ARE REVOLTING ! Laughing
(from the Independent)

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00128/10625073_128620t.jpg
Oxford students demand the university condemns Israel's attack on Gaza

Students are revolting: The spirit of '68 is reawakening

Campus sit-ins began as a response to the Gaza attacks, but unrest is already spilling over to other issues. Emily Dugan reports
Sunday, 8 February 2009

They are the iPod generation of students: politically apathetic, absorbed by selfish consumerism, dedicated to a few years of hedonism before they land a lucrative job in the City. Not any more. A seismic change is taking place in British universities.

Around the UK, thousands of students have occupied lecture theatres, offices and other buildings at more than 20 universities in sit-down protests. It seems that the spirit of 1968 has returned to the campus.

While it was the situation in Gaza that triggered this mass protest, the beginnings of political enthusiasm have already spread to other issues.

John Rose, one of the original London School of Economics (LSE) students to mount the barricades alongside Tariq Ali in 1968, spent last week giving lectures on the situation in Gaza at 12 of the occupations.

"This is something different to anything we've seen for a long time," he said. "There is genuine fury at what Israel did.

"I think it's highly likely that this year will see more student action. What's interesting is the nervousness of vice chancellors and their willingness to concede demands; it indicates this is something that could well turn into [another] '68."

Beginning with a 24-hour occupation at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) on 13 January, the sit-ins spread across the country. Now occupations have been held at the LSE, Essex, King's College London, Birmingham, Sussex, Warwick, Manchester Metropolitan, Oxford, Leeds, Cambridge, Sheffield Hallam, Bradford, Nottingham, Queen Mary, Manchester, Strathclyde, Newcastle, Kingston, Goldsmiths and Glasgow.

Among the demands of students are disinvestment in the arms trade; the promise to provide scholarships for Palestinian students; a pledge to send books and unused computers to Palestine; and to condemn Israeli attacks on Gaza.

Technology has set these actions apart from those of previous generations, allowing a national momentum to grow with incredible speed. Through the linking up of internet blogs, news of successes spread quickly and protests grew nationwide.

Just three weeks after the first sit-in at SOAS, students gathered yesterday at Birkbeck College to draw up a national strategy. The meeting featured speeches from leaders in the Stop the War movement, such as Tony Benn, George Galloway MP and Jeremy Corbyn MP. There has also been an Early Day Motion tabled in Parliament in support of campus activism.

At the end of the month students from across the country will gather for a national demonstration calling for the abolition of tuition fees, an event that organisers say has rocketed in size following the success of the occupations over Gaza.

Vice chancellors and principals have been brought to the negotiating table and " in the majority of universities " bowed to at least one of the demands. The students' success means that now there is a new round of protests. On Wednesday two new occupations began at Strathclyde and Manchester universities, and on Friday night students at the University of Glasgow also launched a sit-in.

Emily Dreyfus, a 21-year-old political activist in her third year of reading classics at Oxford, was one of around 80 students to occupy the historic Bodleian library building in the city and demand that the university issue a statement condemning the Gaza attacks and disinvest from the arms trade. She said: "I found Oxford politically very dead when I arrived, but it's completely different now. There seem to be more and more people talking about politics, which is so exciting. It's really been aided by the communication tools we've got, things like Facebook."

Wes Streeting, the president of the National Union of Students, said: "What we've seen over the Gaza issue is a resurgence of a particular type of protest: the occupation. It's a long time since we've seen student occupations on such a scale. It's about time we got the student movement going again and had an impact."

Establishments that have not previously been known for their activism have also become involved. Fran Legg was one of several students to set up the first Stop the War Coalition at Queen Mary, a research-focused university in London, a month ago. Now they are inundated with interest.

"Action on this scale among students hasn't been seen since the Sixties and Seventies," she said.

"This is going to go down in history as a new round of student mobilisation and it will set a precedent. Gaza is the main issue at the moment, but we're looking beyond the occupation; we're viewing it as a springboard for other protests and to set up a committee to make sure the university only invests ethically."

As the first generation of students to pay substantial direct fees to universities, their negotiating power has also been strengthened. Their concern over their college's investments have been given new legitimacy because it is partly their money.

Ms Legg said: "For the first time, you've got students getting principals to the negotiation table, saying they don't want their tuition fees funding war. Everybody wants to know where their money is going."

The activist: 'Students will see they can take action'

Katan Alder, 22, student leader speaking from the occupation at Manchester University

"We've been occupying the university since Wednesday. More than 500 people came to an emergency Students' Union meeting and we took the vice chancellor's administration block that afternoon. Israel's assault on Gaza made people angry, and we heard about the occupations at other universities through blogs. This is the biggest student campaign we've had and it's also the most wide-reaching. We'll stay until the university lets us meet with the vice chancellor. I think students will see they can take action on more issues, such as the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and the education system; the Government's refusal to stop the marketisation of education has provoked a lot of anger."

The '68 veteran: 'It changed our lives'

John Rose, 63, former student organiser at the London School of Economics in 1968; now a lecturer and author on the Middle East

"I arrived at the LSE in '66 as an extremely naive liberal student and I left in '69 as a revolutionary socialist. It changed our lives. I was one of the student organisers with Tariq Ali and attended all the demonstrations and occupations. We did think a revolution was coming; we thought mass action of students might overthrow capitalism and bring genuine equality. It took us some time to realise that wasn't going to happen.

"It wasn't just about rioting and having fun, it was political argument that probed all the assumptions about the world. It was a highly intense period and the memory stays powerfully with anyone involved; it's the memory of those times that has kept me going.

"It was a feeling of fantastic elation: we began to realise that mass action could change things. Once it started, we developed a taste for it and began to consider mass activity as a way of doing politics, which is what's happening now. People are fed up with bankers, politicians and elite institutions. Hundreds of us thought the revolution was coming in '69, but maybe the revolution is coming now."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/students-are-revolting-the-spirit-of-68-is-reawakening-1604043.html
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 06:00 am

Student occupations for Gaza (Britain)

http://delicious.com/tag/BritishproGazastudentoccupations
(on going)

http://stopwar.org.uk/images/stories/gaza_college_occupation.jpg

And in the States

Hampshire College becomes first college in U.S. to divest from Israeli Occupation

Hampshire College in Amherst, MA, has become the first of any college or university in the U.S. to divest from companies on the grounds of their involvement in the Israeli occupation of Palestine.

http://bdsmovement.net/?q=node/301

http://prometheus.scp.rochester.edu/ursds/blog
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 06:44 pm
March 19th 2009

Today is the 6th year Anniversary of the invasion of Iraq.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/92/3568/400/293-2%5B1%5D.jpg

What can i say?

Millions of Iraqis are dead or destitute- Thousands of soldiers have lost their lives. Hundreds of thousands of people are traumatised, disfigured, disabled, damaged.

Two articles I've read today bring us full circle.

The first is about a 6 year old boy named Harb, Arabic for "war."
He was born six years ago today - taking his first breath in Baghdad just before it all kicked off. The poor little chap has known nothing else but war, and has been a witness to both bombs and the execution of a man by the side of the road.

read here
http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_11937058

Knowing as i do that the suicide rate among soldiers and ex-soldiers has 'sky-rocketed' and that both US and UK servicemen in dire need of mental health care are being denied, i greatly admire the fortitude and determination (not to mention the rest) with which IVAW (Iraq Vets Against war) have committed themselves to speaking out.

Here's what i found on their site today

IVAW Attends First Iraqi Labor Conference - Iraqi Unions Announce New Confederation

At the first International Labor Conference ever held in Iraq, three of the country’s major labor organizations announced the formation of a new labor confederation.

At the close of the two day meeting of Iraqi unions with their international allies, Iraq’s powerful Federation of Oil Unions, the nationwide Electricity Association and the General Federation of Workers Councils and Unions signed an agreement to create a new labor confederation, a step toward unifying the Iraqi labor movement as an advocate for the interests of Iraqi workers.
The conference, held on March 13-14 in Erbil in the Kurdish Region of Iraq, drew more than 200 delegates from unions and federations across Iraq and solidarity delegations from the U.S., the United Kingdom, South Africa, Japan, Australia, and Iran.

A dramatic moment in the conference occurred when T.J. Buonomo, a former U.S. Military intelligence officer, and Aaron Hughes, a former U.S. Army sergeant, took the stage to deliver their remarks. It was the first time that veterans of the U.S. military had returned to publicly acknowledge crimes committed against the Iraqi people and to apologize for their role in the economic and military occupation of Iraq. They said they were not there to ask forgiveness, but rather to take responsibility and to demonstrate their solidarity with the Iraqi people. They denounced the manipulation of intelligence, bribing of Iraqi journalists, the torture of Iraqi prisoners, the suppression of worker rights, and attempts by the U.S. government and multinational corporations to control Iraqi oil. The response was immediate, powerful, and heartfelt. One Iraqi union leader who had been considered a staunch nationalist rushed the stage to embrace the veterans. Another proclaimed that their statements had removed a great wall between the Iraqi and American people. The veterans received a standing ovation.

For more
http://ivaw.org/

Images from earlier on in Iraq
http://iraqprofile.blogspot.com/2005/02/occupation.html

i know i keep going on about this site at 'texans for peace'
http://www.texansforpeace.org/endthewar/olderIraqis.htm
but they are to be commended for their work on putting together one of the best collection of photographs from the Iraq war.

i won't leave you with a war image (although there are plenty) - but with this one.

http://www.texansforpeace.org/endthewar/Graphicsendthewar/photosofIraqis/CelebratingEidBaghdad100108.jpg

Iraqi children celebrate Eid in Baghdad, Iraq, Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2008.

Over a million Iraqis have died - and their country is crushed and destroyed in so many different ways, on so ,any levels. They are now a nation of widows and orphans. I'm not a believer - but i hope for better for them

6 Years

let it end

recommended reading

The Desecration of Iraq's Art Treasures
Iraq's Broken Culture
http://www.counterpunch.org/sanborn03192009.html

0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 11:00 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/22/gordon-brown-terrorism

UN-*******-BELIEVABLE

read the comments Mr Brown - and see if you can understand what the real problem is

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 08:41 am
@Endymion,
About normal, for modern day politics. Dangerously stupid, but normal.
Endymion

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 02:06 pm
@edgarblythe,

They closed down the comments after page ten
1 days worth of British public outrage
(it's a story in itself)