Endymion

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:22 am
There is one thing that we have to keep hold of on both sides of the pond....

There is one thing the honest citizens of Britain and America must safeguard at all costs...

One thing the bastards must never strip from us....

Can never vote to steal from us.....

And that is this...... our sense of humour/humor......

What makes the below humorous to me, is the irony of having the word
love in the title (not to mention the look of sincerity on Bush's face) :wink:

Bush Blair Endless Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nupdcGwIG-g
0 Replies

cumulus

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:01 am
I havn't read all of this Endymion but from what I can see it is turning into a well rounded documentary of your own feelings as well as a beautiful anti-war panegyric.

Well done, and thankyou for inviting me onto the thread.

Smile
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:48 pm
Thanks for posting cumulus -
And for your comments - I feel stupid calling any of my **** poetry - I don't think I have the vocab needed to make a good poet - but I do find creativity a good out-let for 'stuff' - that's true.

I've been working on my own (more rhyme than poem) response to Rupert Brooke's 'The Soldier' since talking about it the other day with you and Tino -
I may post that here later but for now, I have something to say about Mr Sean Penn.....
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:05 pm
I don't keep up with the celebrities (not having a television helps) - so I can't make comment on the actor Sean Penn - other than what I know about his acting - which isn't much.
I've seen him in two films that I recall - both about war, and both taken from a different perspective to the easy propaganda shite - such as Black Hawk Down.

The first was 'Casualties of War' the true story of an American soldier who witnessed a war crime perpetrated on a young Vietnamese villager, and the second was 'The Thin Red Line'. In both roles, I though Penn was very convincing.

In fact, he was so convincing in 'Casualties of War' that the character he portrayed prejudiced me against him (the man himself) to some extent.
Whenever I've heard his name mentioned I've seen him as that Sergeant ridiculing one of his men for refusing to rape a woman.
So, his written statement, to me, seems all the more powerful, because I associate it with 'Casualties of War' - which is actually, about right.

Wednesday, October 4th, 2006
'The Arrogant, the Misguided, and the Cowards'
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:28 pm
Wrote this on the spontaneous poetry thread the other night - thought I could do something with it.

Naked Emperor

It's a Melt Down
Dead Eyed
Cock 'n' Bull
Sorry Arsed
Mistake
The Naked Emperor
Is a Fake
Another Fruitcake
A Greedy Bastard
Full of Hate
Impeach the Goose
N Serve Him on a Paper Plate
It's Getting Late
And the World Won't Wait

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b5/Wehrmacht_20th_April_1939_Birthday_Parade.jpg/400px-Wehrmacht_20th_April_1939_Birthday_Parade.jpg
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:32 pm
http://www.hobotraveler.com/137hampi02/0053.JPG

Some Hindu swastikas - (just to counter the nazi one above)
0 Replies

cumulus

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:50 am
Thanks for posting the Sean Penn thing Endymion. This site can be very educational at times!

I havn't seen the films you mention and do still tend to associate Penn with his marriage to Madonna (because of which he was on the front pages of the tabloid newspapers alot in the 80s) when his acting career went off the rails for awhile; but I know how "corporate" the USA is by which I mean that very few people have alot of power in areas like the entertainment industry and they usually tend to be rabid right wingers(echoes of the McCarthy era) so what Sean has done here is very brave and true to himself.

Good for you, Sean!

Laughing
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:17 pm
Respectfully, in response to Rupert Brooke's 'The Soldier' and Wilfred Owen's [AN IMPERIAL ELEGY] (Fragment) )WWI Poetry)

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

The Soldier: Through history

If I should die think only this of me……….

That I agreed to DEFEND my Queen 'n' Country
Not to war aggressively
But to protect and keep men free
So who's the bigger fool? You or me?

If I should die think only this of me………..

That I died because the lunatics that be
Sent us on a mission
That spearheaded their great vision
Of global domination (hegemony)

If I should die think only this of me………..

I swore to serve my country honourably
Not to pillage oil for billions
Or segregate the millions
But to keep the peace and defend democracy

If I should die think only this of me………

I could not deny the illegality
Of several of my orders
Stepping over borders
Of criminal irregularity

If I should die think only this of me……..

My anger isn't with the military
It's with those we trusted most
On their hill they drink a toast
To the end of justice and of chivalry

If I should die think only this of me……..

I am but one who loves his country
And knows that we must never
Give up our values ever
Our compassion or our integrity

Endymion 2006
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:32 pm
This from San francisco today

http://worldcantwait.net/oct5/pic/ca/sfchronicleyelling.jpg

Wow - thankyou San Fracisco - for making my dawn! What a fantastic photograph....
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:45 am
http://tomdegan.blogspot.com/

CHAPLIN SPEAKS! (by Tom Degan)

Sixty-six years ago this month, Charlie Chaplin released what is, undoubtedly, his most controversial film. "The Great Dictator" depicted the story of two very different people (both played by Chaplin) who could be (but are not) identical twins: A timid little Jewish barber and Adenoid Hinkle, the dictator of a fictional country called Tomania. The film was a satirical attack on Adolf Hitler and the Nazi regime. Toward the movie's end, the two men are mistaken for one another and the little barber is taken to speak at a massive rally that the dictator had called for on the eve of the invasion of an entire continent. The speech he gives, which is really Chaplin's plea to the world for peace and understanding, still resonates all these decades later:

I'm sorry, but I don't want to be a emperor. That's not my buisness. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible - Jew, Gentile - black men - white.

We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other's happiness - not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone. And the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone.

The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way. Greed has poisoned men's souls - has barracaded the world with hate - has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. Machinery that gives us abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical; our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

The airplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these things cries out for the goodness in man - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all. Even now, my voice is reaching millions throughout the world - millions of despairing men, women and little children - victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me, I say: "Do not despair". The misery that has come upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Soldiers!!! Don't give yourselves to these brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle and use you as cannon fodder! Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! With the love of humanity in your hearts! Don't hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural!

Soldiers!!! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! In the seventeenth chapter of St. Luke it is written that the kingdom of God is within man - not in one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people, have the power! The power to create machines! The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful - to make this life a wonderful adventure! Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite! Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security.

By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfill that promise. They never will! Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfill that promise! Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerence. Let us fight for a world of reason - a world where science and progress will lead to the happiness of us all. Soldiers, in the name of democracy, let us unite!!!

Hannah, can you hear me? Wherever you are, look up! Look up, Hannah! The clouds are lifting! The sun is breaking through! We are coming out of the darkness and into the light! We are coming into a new world - a kindlier world, where men will rise above their hate, their greed and their brutality. Look up, Hannah! The soul of man has been given wings and at last he is beginnng to fly. He is flying into the rainbow - into the light of hope; Into the future, the glorious future, that belongs to you, to me - and to all of us. Look up, Hannah! Look up!

Charles Spencer Chaplin

http://www.charliechaplin.com/IMG/cache-87x120/arton98-87x120.png
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:53 am
cumulus wrote:
rabid right wingers(echoes of the McCarthy era)

Hi Cumulus - yes - and let us not forget Henry Kissinger who said:

"Depopulation should be the highest priority of foreign policy towards the Third World, because the U.S. economy will require large and increasing amounts of minerals from abroad, especially from less developed countries."

What an evil a-hole!

http://www.mickeyz.net/images/kissingernosepick.jpg

More of kissinger (and his nose picking nazis mentality) here:

http://www.mickeyz.net/news/mickeyz/fullarticle/henry_kissinger_assumes_the_missionary_position/
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:23 am
Charlie Chaplain's speech from The Dictator (previous page) has really got me thinking. Why did I not know about this? The man was born just up the road from me and I had no idea he was a great advocator of peace.

Or that he was on the FBI files

Or that McCarthy had him chucked out of the USA for being 'an enemy sympathiser'

Up there with John Lennon, then.... (Nixon wanted him chucked out - in a way I wish he'd succeeded - maybe JL would still be with us?)
0 Replies

cumulus

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:21 am
ENDYMION wrote:

Up there with John Lennon, then.... (Nixon wanted him chucked out - in a way I wish he'd succeeded - maybe JL would still be with us?)

I read that John used to go to peace demonstrations and lend his weight to various political protests when he first settled in the US but that after he realised his citizenship was under threat he stood back from all that... so that's another reason why perhaps it would have been better if he had been chucked out because by letting him stay the powers that were actually won the day, they succeeded in muzzling him, in public at least.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:18 am
JOHN LENNON FBI Files

http://www.lennonfbifiles.com/images/fbi4sm.gif

"ARREST IF AT ALL POSSIBLE"
Acting FBI Director Gray received an airtel (HQ-24) from the New York FBI office, dated July 27, suggesting that it be "emphasized" to "local Law Enforcement Agencies" in Miami that Lennon should be "arrested if at all possible on possession of narcotics charg." The New York office provided a helpful explanation: "Local INS has very loose case in NY for deporting subject. . . . if LENNON were to be arrested . . . he would become more likely to be immediately deportable." This memo sounds like a proposal to set Lennon up for a drug bust. The ACLU cited this passage as evidence that the FBI was engaged in an "abuse of its authority in order to neutralize dissent."

http://www.lennonfbifiles.com/images/peel2sm.gif

THE "WANTED" POSTER
The FBI prepared a "wanted" style flyer for distribution to local law enforcement agencies in Miami to facilitate the arrest of Lennon (HQ-24 page 5). Although he had one of the most famous faces in the Western world at this point, the FBI apparently was not confident that local police would be able to recognize the ex-Beatle. The photo, however, is not of Lennon but rather David Peel, an East Village street singer who had become friends with Lennon and who had an album released on Apple records that year.

http://www.lennonfbifiles.com/images/fbi10sm.gif

"UNABLE TO MAKE A NARCOTICS CASE"
The urgent coded teletype sent to Acting Director Gray on May 18 by the New York FBI continues with a report on the previous day's immigration hearings (HQ-18 page 2). Exactly why this would be sent in code is a mystery - the same information had been reported widely in the day's newspapers and TV news shows.

The last four lines were withheld for fourteen years as confidential source information and released only in the 1997 settlement: they report that "New York police department . . . has been unable to make a narcotics case on the Lennons." This came after the FBI had been trying to orchestrate a drug bust to expedite Lennon's deportation at a time when, as this page reports, "appeals could go on for years."
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
250 People Arrested, 375 Acts of Protest, 1 Week
By Joshua Daniel Hershfield 9/29/06

In a week of fierce opposition to the Bush administration's policies and the War in Iraq, over 375 acts of civil disobedience and protest were staged all over the United States. Cities involved included Lincoln, Nebraska; Houston, Texas; Des Moines, Idaho; Cincinnati, Ohio; Little Rock, Arkansas; and Fayetteville, North Carolina - home to Fort Bragg.

Since last Thursday (9/21/06) over 250 people have been arrested for protest actions, and more than 500 anti-war groups have signed the "Declaration of Peace," a document demanding the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, the closure of bases, a peace process, and a shift of funding from military to human needs. The actions were largely organized by faith-based groups, though participants included immigrant organizations, women's rights groups, lawmakers, and military veterans.

"We are spending billions of dollars a week on the occupation of Iraq," said an activist in New York. "This money can be spent on health and education."

Rev. Lennox Yearwood of the Hip Hop Caucus, one of 34 people to be arrested at an action outside the White House, said, "As citizens and people of faith, we must be our country's conscience."

Over 100 Jewish, Christian, and Muslim religious leaders have planned other actions to prevent an attack on Iran, and signers of the "Declaration of Peace" are planning another round of civil disobedience.

It is actions such as these that can send a clear message to the rest of the world that we do not support this tyrannical administration, that we do not support this war, and we will put our bodies on the line to stop it in its tracks.

Since March 2003, over 100,000 Iraqi people have been killed by the United States military, and 2,500 US troops have died.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:04 pm
Friday Night Revolution

(Back in time)
Right, it's Friday night 21:15

Most Brits are probably out right now, either looking for entertainment, or finding it in front of their telly scoffing a take-away.
(sorry - that's a generalization…. but anyway…)

My television was retired about ten years ago. If I'd had a gun on me at the time, I would have 'done an Elvis' on the fuking thing.

Instead, it's a pile of rotten wood and rust standing in a shed out the back - and it probably has rats nesting in its innards.
Good luck to them. They can have it.

21:36

You're probably wondering WTF?
Right?
But being a TV abstainer is not easy - not in this world it isn't.
It's not something I talk about in public any more. I found that someone would ask me (say, in the pub) why it was that I didn't have a television - and I have to say, that they always seemed to ask this question kindly, gently, like they thought maybe I was epileptic or some such… but then, once I told them, honestly, why I don't watch television - well…

21:51

Even when I tried to tone down my reasons for throwing out my TV, people would slowly begin to transform in front of me. They would go from being
very slightly pushy, but genuinely interested - to something else. Indignation and outrage, sure - and sometimes it ended there, but on occasion I'd see a deeper, darker reaction - something like hatred, but that isn't it. Not really. It was weirder than that - like something out of The Invasion of The Body Snatchers - except that in this scenario,
They are Not the Alien - You Are.

Anyway, what ever that look meant it was a dead cold stare - utterly blanking.

I was a quick learner and soon stopped admitting I don't have a TV. (In fact, the licence people didn't believe me - and I'm still not sure they do. Maybe next time they write and ask me if I'm sure I haven't got a television I'll print this out and send it to them - but maybe not - couldn't be bothered - and anyway - they wouldn't get it. (The symbolism of sending it I mean, not the content - which neither of us is likely to get so I couldn't expect them to.)

Although I'm not taking this too seriously, and admit that I'm under the usual influence (if I wasn't I wouldn't be writing this, so there's no other way) - I do feel very passionate about the way society has been seduced into forgetting about their own lives and spirituality.
Raised to sit (for however many hours a day) quietly in their homes, with their backs to the world, staring at an electrical box. A box that dictates what they see on it and what they hear from it. They even pay for this.

Of course, I never said that in the pub - and anyway, it's not the only way I see it.
If people want to lie in bed with a telly at their feet for 24 hrs of the day - that's fine by me. What the fuk does it have to do with me?

What pisses me off, is what they get for their money - the motive behind 'television' the lack of research done on the phycological effects of people being spoon-fed a false reality over a long period of time (their whole life sometimes) by a machine.

A machine which can only deliver to the people whatever the fuk the guy the other end wants to stick to them. Of course, you need a lot of money and power to run a television studio or newspaper, which may explain why, when I try watching television, I suddenly see myself as some sort of pet waiting eagerly for a titbit and being really happy when something decent comes on, and taking comfort in seeing the same old faces…
and I feel uncomfortable about that, but I also feel patronised and insulted, which is worse. Then there is the bias news and lack of insight, lack of wisdom.
It makes me depressed and angry - so click - I turned off the voice.

23:02

As a peace demonstrator that has to swallow the lying cowardice of the British media every time I rally, I take some small comfort in knowing that I've already saved myself a thousand quid - because I was right not to trust them.

23:31 Cheers

Peace
Endy

spell checked 00:10
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:57 pm
I've been posting in this forum for over a year now. That's not long in comparison to some - but it is for me.
To stay around in one place.
Obviously I feel (mostly) comfortable about showing my stuff here - and thanks to many for that.

Here are two a2k poets that have inspired me recently and kindly given me permission to post some of their stuff on this thread.
All of it I relate to my feelings about world politics, and the personal guilt and frustration that I have to deal with because of it.
Some might not be written in that vein, but for some reason, it touches me that way.

They're all unedited 'spontaneous poems' and have no titles - so I decided to run them one after the other - a bit like music…..

edgarblythe

hang a lantern in these dead eyes
that i might witness war from the other side
see how the glow spots on the rise
a crater ringed by human matter undignified

put on my face the tears i cannot cry
place the childrens bodies on the slab beside me
someone may come to claim us by and by
i long please for the cool earth a box to hide me

love the animals who wont make war
who dont assault and will never preach
who eat what they need when hungry
who drift silently off when madmen screech

the wounded earth and slaughtered peoples
guilty of no wrongness except being if that be wrong
huddle together in mounds of dirt and bloodiness
and dont know who won the war or particularly care

shrill and hysterical
these putdowns of the war
whats wrong with peace lovers
dont they want a war miss scarlett
fiddle de dee

i see the soldiers
feel the boulders
bombs dislodge
thats my arm in the rubble
and my breath that bloody bubble
forgot to dodge

dont weep for me
weep for politics
religion
businessmen
murderers
military men
flags and parade marshalls

one day go to market
next supply collateral damage

blessed are the bombs
with which we instill gratitude and democracy
hallowed are the tombs
in which we bury the lives of millions without mercy
may the wisdom of goons
guide us through our divisions in times of uncertainty
surely peace will bloom
and we will sit atop the dung hill for ever in wealthy poverty

i wrote home
said mother i love you
and brother too
i telegraphed it
still of the night
cars in the headlights
home
home
rattled and went
wheels
stilled in ruts
and grass
door unlocked
i saw their ghosts
i swear i did

look at life as you would a flower blossom
it blooms and then its gone
beautiful for a time perhaps
bound to disintegrate to the elements
if thats not enough
perhaps we want too much

the more honor you heap on bush
the moroner you get

son they'll make you fodder
for their never ending war
they wont even stutter
to demand your life end more

your ideal of justice
they will wave it to the side
hiding neath the auspice
of nationalistic pride

no loyal opposition
can survive without a fight
idyllic supposition
gonna bend before their might

take it into the street
and to the government halls
and demand a ballot sheet
that no politician soils

in the course of human events
dross got to be swept away
when they play games with your sense
dont be treated that a-way

the ghosts of the flowers
dot your memory in our absense
the leaves of the hours
hang their shadows over the fence
in shapes of tears

oh dark angel of the field of loss
where shall i plant this dangling cross
where slant the ague with sorrow drenched
where slam the rainbow like a fist thats clenched
or splay this heart of fears

iraq
you break
bushs balls in the pocket

here the worms rarely creep
where the victims barely sleep
and yet the raven squawk from the power line
summons pure devils for on the soul to dine
capitol sermons drone
mark the sonorous tone
and yet the raven squawk from the line on high
calls to question these big words that only lie

swivel
swivel softly
pure angel
tell all the vandals
to love

promise them no rewards
lift not their burden
tell them simply
to love

Bawb

The rain is falling on the moor,
That peacefulness that I adore,
Weeks to months, and months to years,
Could never wash away the tears,

To the barrow downs I go,
Weary as I walk,
When I talk my voice is low,
More and more distraught,

Getting even colder still,
Wish I was back home,
I wish I wasn't even here,
Need to find where I belong,

When they step all over me,
Please let them be,
They know not what they do,

When they spit in my face,
And call me a disgrace,
They know not what they do,

But their time is running out,
They don't have a clue,
Dont just stand about,
Their is work to do,

Listen to the cosmic night,
The black abyss,
Absence of light,
Listen to the cosmic night,
It will guide us home,

Look for the saving light,
The stars aligned,
The moon so bright
Look for the saving light,
To find where we belong,

Please read the ancient text,
I need to find out very soon,
I need to know what happens next,

Please read the ancient lore,
I'd like to know,
Let us hear more,

American idealogy,
So called land of the free,
Based on false theology,
And the truth that we flee,

From the constitution,
From the words that they swore,
Just false retribution,
That we can't take anymore,

The tongues of men,
Have risen again,
To break this sweet tranquility,
If we don't fight back,
They will win,
To threaten our stability,

And still they carry on,
With fake hate in their hearts,
To the capital of Iran,
Connecting bombshell parts,

The death toll is rising,
Nothing left to destroy,
No hope for an uprising,
Only more soldiers to deploy,

As I run,
Through the trees,
With swaying grass,
Up to my knees,
As I'm stalked,
By things so grim,
Can't just walk,
I'll be caught again,

Torture now legalized,
Theocracy underway,
Fascist dictator,
America now "freedomized",
Running for president, traitors,
That peoples votes no longer sway,

Hear the sound, U.S. demise,
Revolution getting near,
If we don't, please give rise,
The president as his great disguise,
To our new dictator, king of fear,

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 09:27 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:11 pm
David Blunkett, the UK's former home secretary, has said that during the 2003 invasion of Iraq he suggested to Tony Blair that Britain's military should bomb Aljazeera's television transmitter in Baghdad.

Aljazeera television said on Thursday that Blunkett's claims - made in an interview with Britain's Channel 4 television to be aired on Monday - support its belief that the US and Britain deliberately bombed its Baghdad offices during the war.

Shocked wtf?

The chief of Britain's army says that the presence of British troops in Iraq is exacerbating the security situation on the ground and they should, therefore, be withdrawn soon.

General Sir Richard Dannatt also said in an interview with the Daily Mail newspaper on Friday that Britain's Iraq venture was aggravating the security threat elsewhere in the world.

....Putting himself directly at odds with Tony Blair, the British prime minister, and George Bush, the US president, the general criticised the post-invasion planning by the US-led coalition.

"I think history will show that the planning for what happened after the initial successful war fighting phase was poor, probably based more on optimism than sound planning."

Shocked

Rights groups have criticised the UK after it published a report in which it condemned Hezbollah attacks on Israel, but did not mention Israel's military actions in Lebanon.

http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/rdonlyres/54F64321-8641-4514-AC73-ED4E2E66C1AB/142015/9EC93ABA675042A8AC1EB22E643F10FB.jpg

Rights groups said the omission was "inexusable"

I'm not really shocked -nothing my Government or the British press did could shock me now.

General Sir Richard Dannatt on the other hand - that is a severe blow to Blair and I have to say - many have been asking for a long time now, how much longer this farce would be allowed to go on, before the military decided to stand by its men, and not by its obedience to Government - which cannot be right, if it turns out that your leaders are damaging not only their own country, but the world's interests.

Busy fondling their self-esteem
12 Oct 2006
John Pilger

As the news reveals a study that puts civilian deaths in Iraq at 655,000, John Pilger recalls the words of a song by the great Chilean balladeer, Victor Jara, to describe those who see themselves as rational and liberal are, in fact, complicit in an unrecognised crime.

The great Chilean balladeer Victor Jara, who was tortured to death by the regime of General Pinochet 33 years ago, wrote a song that mocks those who see themselves as rational and liberal, yet so often retreat into the arms of authority, no matter its dishonesty and brutality to others. He sang:

Come on over here
where the sun is nice and warm.
Yes, you, who have the habit
of jumping from one side to the other...
[Over there] you're nothing at all,
Neither fish nor fowl,
You're too busy fondling...
Your own self-esteem.

The past few weeks have seen a fiesta of these rational, liberal people who dominate British mainstream politics. For them, the most basic forms of morality and shame, the kind you learn as a child, have no place in public life. On 27 September, the Guardian published a front-page photograph of Tony Blair, a prima facie war criminal, his arms outstretched, his grin fixed. Beside this was a headline, "Charm and eloquence. But a missed chance". Beneath this, Polly Toynbee wrote: "There were some damp eyes dabbed with hankies and men blowing noses. 'Don't go,' someone said."

Consider such vomit against the facts of Blair's actual crime - the unprovoked invasion of a defenceless country, justified by lies now voluminously documented, and causing the violent deaths of tens of thousands of innocent men, women and children. The word "crime" is verboten among those about whom Victor Jara sang. To spell out the truth would illuminate the collusion of an entire political class.

Instead, the shameless neither-fish-nor-fowl tribunes speak and write incessantly of a "mistake", a "blunder", even a Shakespearean tragedy (for the war criminal, not his victims). From their studios and editorial offices, they declare the mendacious and dishonest banalities of their unclad emperor "brilliant". Al-Qaeda, said Blair in his speech to the Labour party conference, "killed 3,000 people including over 60 British on the streets of New York before war in Afghanistan or Iraq was even thought of". The breath is swept away by this one statement. Half a million infants lie dead, according to Unicef, as a result of the Anglo-American siege of Iraq during the 1990s. For Blair and his rational, liberal, neither-fish-nor-fowl court, these children never lived and never died. Clearly, the Emperor Tony was a leader for his time and, above all, clubbable, whatever the "mistakes" he had made in Iraq.

A parallel world of truth and lies, morality and immorality dominates how the crime in Iraq is presented to us. In recent months, the invaders have vanished. The US, having murdered and cluster-bombed and napalmed and phosphorus-bombed, is now a wise referee between, even a protector of, "warring tribes". The buzzword is "sectarianism", blurring the truth that most of the attacks by the resistance are against the foreign military occupiers: on average, one every 15 minutes. That the majority of Iraqis, Sunni and Shia, are united in their demand that US and British forces get out of their country now is of no interest. Has journalism ever been so voluntarily appropriated by black propaganda?

The confidence in the Blair regime that this propaganda will see them right (if not re-elected) is expressed in striking ways. The former Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, the epitome of neither-fish-nor-fowl, who supported a piratical attack on a Muslim country, now aims his liberal, rational remarks at the most vulnerable community in Britain, fully aware that the racist subtext of his words will be understood in "Middle England" and hopefully further what is left of his contemptible career. It was Straw who let Pinochet escape justice for fraudulent reasons of ill-health. Victor Jara's song is an ode to Straw, and to the authoritarian, twice "retired" David Blunkett, now elevated by the Guardian as "one of the most brilliant, natural politicians", on a mission to ensure that a higher form of corruption, mass murder, does not blight "Tony's legacy".

The Tory leader, David Cameron, the former public relations man for the asset-stripper Michael Green, will follow this legacy, should he become prime minister. Standing on the Bournemouth seafront with his family, including three young children, he emphasised his support for the crime against the Iraqi people, whose children, says Unicef, are now dying faster under Blair and Bush than under Saddam Hussein.

The lunatic is on the grass
The lunatic is on the grass
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep the loonies on the path

The lunatic is in the hall
The lunatics are in my hall
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

The lunatic is in my head
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me till Im sane
You lock the door
And throw away the key
Theres someone in my head but its not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
Beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All thats to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

There is no dark side of the moon really. matter of fact its all dark.

Pink Floyd - Brain Damage and Eclipse lyrics

Strange that it is often the warriors of the world who end up saving the world - not by fighting, but by refusing to engage in moronic acts of war.
The Russian nuclear sub captain who refused an order to fire nuclear weapons on the US fleet during the Cuban missile crisis (after coming under attack himself) springs to mind.

Saved the God Damn world - and I don't even know his name.

General Dannatt I shall not be forgetting. How f...ing right he is! If Bush does enough to provoke Iran - our lads are dead out there - and for what? Why?
Iraq is FUBAR and we don't want to admit it - but the longer we stay, the greater becomes our guilt and the more we will have to pay for our mistakes, our naivety and stupidity.

Bush must and will be stopped. Who knows? Perhaps a US Naval Officer will save the world this time - because if the US do bomb Persia, we (Brits and Americans) will loose everything. I'm convinced of this, because I believe that in the end the nazis war mongers always loose. But it will not just be us that pay the price - many will die around the world - and for many reasons.

As an Englishman, I have learned something quite profound because of all this - and that is a better understanding of how the Germans came to be sucked into one megalomaniac's fantasy and how dearly they paid for believing in him .... 1939 and on the brink.

If you have a religion, please
Pray for Peace,

Endy
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:18 pm
Wednesday, October 11th, 2006
Vote the Bastards Out!

I was at a concert this weekend in California to raise money for the National Veterans Foundation. I'm an Air Force veteran, and I have great respect for the military. I like to support the soldiers whenever I can. But I don't support this war in Iraq.

I was against the war before it started. I always thought it was a terrible decision, badly thought out, badly planned, and then horribly executed.

I want to see our troops come home right away, and so do most Americans. Unfortunately, too many politicians in both parties refuse to listen.

So when will the troops come home? When we won't put up with it anymore--when we change our government. And how will we do that? By voting the bastards out! On November 7th, you should vote for anyone who's against the war and vote against anyone who's for the war. It's that simple.

When I wrote the song "Whatever Happened to Peace on Earth" (LYRICS) at Christmastime in 2003, a lot of people were for the war, a lot of people didn't know the facts or the truth. But people are waking up now. They're learning that they were lied to about the war. They're feeling lied to about this Mark Foley scandal in terms of who knew what and when. They're questioning the leadership in this country.

And that gives us new possibilities for November 7th. If we all go out and vote for peace candidates and get our friends to vote, and if our votes are really counted, it's no contest. There'll be a change in the Congress, and then we'll just have to keep building so we can get a president who won't send our soldiers to fight a war based on lies.

We should have thrown the bastards out years ago. Let's do it now! Give Peace A VOTE!

Willie Nelson

http://www.michaelmoore.com/mustread/index.php?id=742
0 Replies