Question on what I can/can’t bring as carryon?

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 10:57 am
I will be flying with two small children next week (within the US). I fully understand and support anything that is not allowed to bring on board, but want to be prepared. If it was just me and not two little kids I would bring a book and that's it. However, to keep the kiddies quiet I do need to plan.

So, I'm set no liquids. But I am traveling a good distance 4 plus hours and am on flights with those pay for meals. I much rather bring some food on board myself rather than have to eat "airplane food" and be forced to pay whatever price they set (monopoly situation here). Anyone know what sorts of food would be o-k and not considered a liquid? I have heard of them not allowing lipstick (which I didn't know was a liquid). Are they denying food or simply anything liquid or what they consider liquid? Can I bring lollipops (I typically bring them to help with the air pressure)? Any other things you might think I would bring as contraband without realizing it - especially in light that I have two kids?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,361 • Replies: 12
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:19 am
Things to avoid:

Bolt-cutters

Radial saws

Inflated inner tubes

Radios tuned to The Voice of Al-Qaeda

Wonder Bread eaten into gun shapes

Days of the Week underpants
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:24 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Things to avoid:

Bolt-cutters

Radial saws

Inflated inner tubes

Radios tuned to The Voice of Al-Qaeda

Wonder Bread eaten into gun shapes

Days of the Week underpants

Thank you for your helpful contribution. My children typically play with the above objects - I guess we will have to pack them in our checked luggage. The underpants, however, are mine - I guess I need to check those as well.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:27 am
Linkat- I would check with your airline's website and/or the airport out of which you are flying. They should have a complete list.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:28 am
I'd be happy to check your underpants. Always glad to help out, that's me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:37 am
A United Airlines flight from London to Washington, D.C. was diverted to Logan International Airport after an unruly female passenger had to be restrained by passengers and was later arrested by State Police.

The woman, an unidentified US citizen, was carrying hand cream and matches on her when she disrupted the flight, a Transportation Security Administration spokesman said through a recorded announcement.

Hand creams are among items prohibited on all flights after British authorities said they disrupted a plot to blow up several international flights using liquids and gels. Matches are not a restricted item on airplanes, the TSA official said.

Well, apparantely I can bring matches, but not my underwear.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:55 am
What about edible underwear? Laughing
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 12:42 pm
I'd be happy to check those too.

What can I say? I'm a giver.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 12:52 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
What about edible underwear? Laughing

Depends is it liquid?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 01:07 pm
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2006/press_release_08132006.shtm

It's a moving target.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 01:59 pm
"The most significant changes to the security measures include mandatory shoe screening for all travelers and the admission of up to 4 oz. of non-prescription medicine."

Thanks ehBeth - now I will have to make sure I have a pedacure before leaving.

I wonder if I have a sandwich with mayo or peanut butter and jelly if that would be considered a gel or liquid?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:32 pm
Two of my co-workers are flying out today. They were told 'no toothpaste' in their carry-ons. As their trip is only for about 18 hours, they don't really have anything to check. One of them squeezed some toothpaste onto a piece of saran wrap and hopes they'll let her go with that.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:11 pm
Last time I flew (in June) from Toronto to Chicago, I had 4 lighters in my purse. They seem to multiply there. Despite the many signs approaching security, no one blinked at them.

Even stranger was the trekking stick I carried. It's metal and the bottom rubber cap snaps off to expose a steel spike (for hiking up soft ground, or so that the stick can be "planted" as a camera mount). Definitely more of a weapon than many of the things on the list. But again, not a blink.

<shrug>

Here's the link to prohibited items by the TSA
0 Replies