Left and Right

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 08:59 pm
Is the current setup of the American government really ideal? I realize that democracy is all about checks and balances, but it seems to me that all we have is two opposing groups that do nothing but bicker and undermine each other. They both claim to desire a united America where opposing views balance each other out, but it seems to me like each respective party wants nothing more than the elimination of the opposition, and the complete triumph of their own party. I see much of this polarism on here. People talk of us and them. Like one party is good and the other one is evil. Do those of you who hold a firm loyalty to a particular party or ideology desire the eventual vanquishment of your opposition?

How long can this dualism go on for? Is this an ideal situation that should be maintained indefinitely? Or is it only a matter of time before something has to give?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 462 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:40 pm
It may not be an ideal form of government, but we've been plugging along with it for well over 2 Centuries now, even through a Civil War (still by a large margin in terms of American dead and wounded the bloodiest conflict in which this nation ever has been engaged), and we're pretty used to it.

Perhaps Thomas Jefferson, commenting on the then-novel "American Experiment" of Democracy, said it best:

"Democracy is the worst possible form of government ... save all the rest."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:55 pm
I don't think there is any other way.

Certainly this time is not unique in American history. We had the struggle to end slavery. We had turmoil over labor unions. We had murderous opposition to civil rights for African Americans. We had a heated, often hate-filled struggle over the Vietnam war.

In each of these cases, Americans of conscience were compelled to stand up for what they believed in, in spite of opposition from perhaps equally as sincere foes.

Freedom of speech as part of an impassioned public debate has always involved anger and even hate.

Look at the current issues we are facing. They are not easy and they are not things that you can believe in without strong feelings.

There are issues that I feel very strongly about. These include the use of torture, the governments ability to spy on citizens, and a war that is killing thousands.

Democracy means struggling for what you believe. We have a democratic system that lets us avoid armed conflict with each other, but make no mistake this is a fight.

And with issues this pressing, there is no other way.
0 Replies