What would you pack?

Terry

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:42 am
What comforts of home do you miss most when traveling? Suppose that you could have any one thing regardless of size and weight. What would you take?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,164 • Replies: 33
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 02:51 am
squinney
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:16 am
The world. It's big and heavy, but I never travel without it.

Oops, sorry, ... my towel. Never leave home without a good towel! Wait, that can't be right, must be from a book or somebody...

Uh, ... Bill Gates' credit card?

No, no, seriously. My girlfriend. Travelling is so much better when... um, you can, um, ... share it.

Wrong answer?! Well, how about a map? Tourbook? Passport? My piano, what?!?

Oh! Oh! You're gonna think I'm joking, but I'm not. I have this stick. It's just a piece of driftwood, a branch about 10 inches long that I've carried around my backpack for years. It's gone everywhere with me. It's ... well, it's from home.

------------
Don't need much else, ... even at home I'm a tourist.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 04:45 am
If cost and space were not a consideration, I would love to take my whole house. I remember reading that some ultra wealthy people have identical clothing, appliances, amenities etc. in all of their homes. In that way you don't have to pack at all, and everything is there, as you want it. Oh well, back to reality!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:36 am
Once upon a time it woulda been the piano, but, really, there's nothing I miss when I'm traveling. Miss the kitchen in places where the food's really bad, but a campstove takes care of that...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:36 am
My pets
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:00 am
My kitchen -- and my pets.

Oh...that's two.

Well, I gotta think about it some more.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:05 am
You need your kitchen and your pets at the same time?

See, this is why I will not buy sausage in New Jersey.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:34 pm
I'm a good Aussie - I always travel with Vegemite! And some photos.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:37 pm
He just smiled and handed me a Vegemite sandwich . . .

The name alone is enough to put me off my feed . . .

Heat, i'm always packin' heat . . .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 02:25 pm
Terry, I leave behind the comforts of home to experience another culture and country. To mingle with them, see how they live, eat and drink their food, walk their streets, talk with them, and come home with a new friend in a far away place. I just want to take the practical, necessary stuff like cameras, clothes and toiletries. That's enough for me. c.i.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 06:49 pm
My pillow - I have spent many sleepless nights trying to sleep on one that is 6 inches too thick and/or as hard as a brick.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:28 pm
Something to read, I hate to be trapped without something to read. At my most middleclassist, I demand a booklite with battery, except that I hate those.
So, a small flashlight that works.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:48 pm
It's got to be my own bed! Nothing feels as good when you return home!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:51 pm
But my bed is a very good option. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:13 pm
my drawing materials and a 16x 20' pad of smooth Bristol. This is essential for me. All the rest, with the exceptiuon of about 3 changes of clothing and soap and dentifrice, can be bought, I even buy really cheap cameras where Im going. I must have lost 10 good cameras in different parts of the world.
Nothing sparks up a conversation (even if the language barrier is sky-high) like someone doing sketching en plein aire.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:05 pm
My crafts. I always need to be doing something with my hands. I'm funny that way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:13 pm
I agree with the drawing pad, but mine could be smaller. Absolutely must have a notepad and pencils and pens.

My business partner and I go to lunch, we can hardly talk without a pencil or pen and at least a napkin.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:05 am
I always bring a small tablet and pen with me. You should see my notes on my trip to Peru and Ecuador. If I didn't take notes, I wouldn't remember anything. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 03:23 am
Terry

One of the adventures & joys of travel are leaving the familiar behind & coping without home comforts ....
BUT, having said this, I would definitely take some good reading matter (which I often don't get the chance to indulge in at home Sad ) & if travelling to places where good, clean water is a problem, I've found a boiling/element thingo (bought in Java) a real blessing when in need of a cup of coffee/tea while staying in budget accomodation.
0 Replies