The Amazing Race

husker

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:27 pm
The Amazing Race

12 Teams of 2 people, each with a pre-existing relationship, will set out on THE AMAZING RACE around the world to compete for one million dollars. Once again, this website will track the Teams' progress across the globe, chronicling dramatic conflicts and deepening friendships that develop between and within the Teams throughout the grueling competition. Here's your chance to meet each Team and find out what their relationship is like at the starting line of THE AMAZING RACE!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,446 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 11:38 pm
I watched that show for the first time tonight. I'm really loving all the beautiful scenery. Reminds me a lot of my visit to several countries located in the Alps.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:22 am
This show really requires speediness. Older folks or people who are out of shape are at a disadvantage.

I think there are some interesting couples this time. It's far too early to make predictions, but if I had to, I would guess that the couple who have been dating for 12 years and remain virgins get my vote. Why? They've got a lot of pent up energy. This could be a strong advantage.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:53 am
Agreed with all your points so far.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:56 am
Roberta wrote:
It's far too early to make predictions, but if I had to, I would guess that the couple who have been dating for 12 years and remain virgins get my vote. Why? They've got a lot of pent up energy. This could be a strong advantage.

I haven't watched the show at all, but this is completely cracking me up. Laughing
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:35 pm
The virgin team can't win, because they have no experience "scoring".

I was sorry to see the chubby team be the first team eliminated. I wanted them to go farther. More of us couch potatoes can empathize with them than with good-looking model types.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:01 pm
Equus wrote:
The virgin team can't win, because they have no experience "scoring".

I was sorry to see the chubby team be the first team eliminated. I wanted them to go farther. More of us couch potatoes can empathize with them than with good-looking model types.

It just touched my heart about his devotion to her!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:04 pm
Roberta wrote:
. . . I would guess that the couple who have been dating for 12 years and remain virgins get my vote. Why? They've got a lot of pent up energy. This could be a strong advantage.

Or, they could end up murdering one another . . .
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:37 pm
The chubby hubby was indeed loving and devoted. I found him touchingly sensitive.

Equus, No experience scoring? LOL.

Setanta, They could all end up killing each other. One of the joys of the show. These people know each other.

BTW, I loved when the son said that his father was his hero.

The NFL wives completely wasted that free pass or whatever it's called.

Teams I liked: The clowns, the air traffic controllers, the married gay couple, the father and son. Oooh. All men. The women participants so far remind me of the three skinnies on Survivor.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 03:27 am
I guess it's a lot harder than one might expect to match a mask to a photograph of a mask. At least for some folks.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 01:24 am
Am I the only one still watching?

The virgins are questioning their compatibility.

The models are close to having a physical altercation.

The clown are having fun.

The NFL wives are hanging tough.

The air-traffic controllers are gone.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:00 am
I watched it last night but am growing very bored with it. They aren't showing much of the scenery, mostly just the team members bickering and being very mean spirited to each other. It looks like they've resorted to Fear Factor type tactics for race obstacles to keep the audience's attention rather then spend the bucks on continuing the excellent camera work the first episode displayed.

Rather disappointing. Was looking forward to a quality show.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:04 am
I am enjoying it. Remember, the editors control what we see and hear, so they have the power to over-emphasize bickering and target in on one or two inconsequential issues.

My biggest problem is trying to remember the teams. CBS tries to slap labels on the teams to differentiate 'em; which unfortunately helps, but it serves to narrow competitors down to stereotypes.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:18 am
Butrflynet, Although I can understand why you're interested in seeing the scenery, I don't watch a show like this for the view. I'm more interested in the dynamics of the teams. And no one will be able to convince me that the animus between the two models is a result of editing.

I agree that the cow manure stunt was reminiscent of Fear Factor. And I was relieved to see that the eels could be moved by hand and not mouth. Gag.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:00 am
It has taken on a certain Fear Factor twist but, it was great to see the clowns go rushing in...I mean how else are you going to approach a 15 ft mound of manure?

Those models...my gosh...they're gonna end up throwing down, ripping clothes..all that...but, the ratings should be good when they do.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 12:34 am
Swimming through icy water and eating live octopi? This is On the Road with Fear Factor.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:47 am
Yes, I could do without the live octopi (octopusses? octopae?) and the manure in a previous episode. The freezing water thing this week didn't upset me too badly, but there wasn't much point to it. I prefer it when there is problem-solving involved, strategy, etc. I do like to see interesting places I'll probably never get a chance to visit.

I used to watch Fear Factor for the stunts and turn off the TV during the grossout segment. Now I'm finding it easier just not to turn it on in the first place. It isn't really fear factor anymore, it's gross-out factor.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:55 am
I usually don't mind the gross out stuff, but eating live things makes me uncomfortable. Especially when Reichen (coulda been Chip) said the the octopus was wrapping its tentacles around his teeth. Feh pooh, as my grandmother used to say.

BTW, glad the clowns are still in the race. Leaving them stranded without a taxi was low.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 12:09 pm
The clowns THOUGHT they'd been stranded without a taxi, but didn't it turn out the other team had waited for them after all? Then they split to separate taxis after they returned to Seoul.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 05:48 pm
I enjoyed the episodes through India and Malaysia. It sure gave quite a contrast from the living conditions of those folks compared to the spoiled and sometimes extremely rude people in the race.

I think the engaged couple is going to be extremely embarrassed to view their behavior now that the show has aired.

If you're interested in the social dynamics of these types of shows, you'd also find Fox's show Paradise Hotel rather interesting. It is a good insight into what happens in our society's schools. I'm seeing many of the same cliquish bullying and ostracizing techniques being used at the hotel.
0 Replies