Fake News / Doctored Photos / How many stories are doctored?

okie

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:30 am
The Dan Rather fiasco drew attention to it. I will just post just a couple of examples, but there are many, including Reuters now being exposed as publishing doctored photos from Beirut.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004292.htm

http://sean.gleeson.us/2006/08/05/reuters-fake-news-photo

How many scumbags are there in the news media anyway? And can any story be believed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 14
No top replies

SierraSong

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:55 am
Al-Reuters has now pulled all Hajj's photos:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N07348592.htm

(NYTimes will hire him)
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:24 pm
I guess we could file this under "Fake News" ....

Sunday, July 23, 2006
Our very strange day with Hezbollah

Hezbollah invited us to come see them again; it's the second time in as many days. Yesterday, Anderson, photographer Neil Hallsworth and I drove to the southern suburbs of Beirut and waited at a predetermined meeting spot.

A few minutes passed, then an old, American-made sedan pulled up behind us. Two men jumped out of the car. Our fixer approached them and after an animated conversation, one of the Hezbollah men stuck his head in our car window and said in passable English, "We're very sorry to inconvenience you but there will be no tour today. There are Israeli drones overhead and it's not safe to be here. Please leave now." Those were easy orders to follow.

Today, we were told Hezbollah was again willing to take our team into their neighborhood. Meet them at the same spot, they said, at 11 a.m. and don't be late. We weren't. We waited. Then waited some more, and what follows is a log of a very strange day with Hezbollah.

10:40 a.m.: Our team of Anderson, Neil, producer Tommy Evans and I arrive at the site of a bridge that's been blown to pieces by Israeli bombs. It's the same spot we met our Hezbollah men yesterday. Next to the bridge there are two high-rise apartment buildings under construction. This is a poor neighborhood and new construction clearly doesn't come here often. The buildings are heavily damaged, though, and it seems unlikely they'll ever be completed.

10:50 a.m.: Our translator, Mira, is making a call to Hezbollah's office, making sure they know we've arrived. You don't have to spend much time in these neighborhoods to realize that you're an outsider ... and you're being watched. They tell us they know we're here.

11:05 a.m.: Hezbollah is late for our meeting. We're sitting still for 25 minutes in an area recently hit hard by Israeli jets, so it's no surprise the mood is tense. We're not talking much. A young couple passes by -- the boy is wearing jeans and short sleeves, the girl a head-scarf and a dress covering her body ankle to wrist. They nod politely and continue past us. They're holding hands. We're still waiting.

11:22 a.m.: A crowd of journalists is passing 200 yards behind us and we quickly realize we've been given bad information and that Hezbollah's tour has started without us. We turn our car around and try to catch up.

11:26 a.m.: It's not hard to spot 40 western journalists walking through a bombed-out area, and we've just now found the group. We also find out we missed some ground rules. We're pulling into a side street and two men dressed in black step out of a doorway with AK-47s. Neil has the camera on his shoulder and they immediately assume he's rolling. He's not, but they want to check the tape anyway. We show it to them and they let us pass. Hezbollah tour ground rule #1: Don't show the faces of anyone we don't want you to see or pictures of places you're not supposed to be. Now we know. We catch up to the group.

11:35 a.m.: We're standing on what used to be a residential street. It's now a mess of wires and rubble. Smoke is still rising off the debris. Bombs have smashed nearly a quarter mile of this area and there's virtually nothing left. There's a twisted tire from a children's bike here, some compact disks from someone's collection there. Anderson is doing a few stand-ups, but the Hezbollah representative leading the tour is telling us it's time to move on. We tell him we want to talk to some people who lived here, who witnessed what happened. "Not here," he says. "Maybe at our next stop."

12:05 p.m.: Our car is being led through back streets to a broken-down building with five ambulances parked in front. "These are the emergency workers who respond to casualty calls when Israel drops their bombs," the Hezbollah man says. "Take your pictures and talk to some of them if you'd like." We're growing tired of what is now obviously a dog-and-pony show, but we decide to play along, and approach one driver with a few questions. Anderson asks him what kind of casualties he's seeing, but before he can answer, the ambulance beside us turns on his siren and screeches out, followed by the next ambulance, then the next. It's a well coordinated and not-so-subtle piece of propaganda that might as well come with a soundtrack titled "Hezbollah Cares."

12:16 p.m.: We again ask the Hezbollah guy (he won't give us his name) when we can talk to some residents, but he brushes us off and tells us maybe at our next stop. He's now on his cell phone and it's not hard to imagine he's making sure all the props are in place before we move on. I wish I spoke Arabic. He opens our car door, slides in, and says he's riding with us. We're fine with it and offer him a bottle of water. "No thank you," he says in English. While we have his attention, Anderson asks him if we can talk to someone in Hezbollah's leadership. His answer is short: "Not while we're at war." He gets out of our car and onto the back of someone's motor scooter.

12:30 p.m.: We're now driving through a neighborhood that hasn't seen any bombing, but it's here we're told we can talk to some residents. Hezbollah guy takes us down to what amounts to a crude bomb shelter and tells us the people here live on this street but are afraid to sleep in their apartment. The concrete room is dimly lit and dank. Two people on plastic chairs are watching an Arabic news channel. One sits in the corner yelling angry epithets about Israel for the reporters. We wait for the media gaggle to leave, then introduce ourselves. They tell us they're a mother, her son and his wife. There's no way to know if it's true. The conversation follows a familiar pattern:

"Are you scared?"

"No!"

"Will you fight?"

"To the death!"

"Do you hate Israel?"

"Of course, and its mother America!"

We thank them for their insights and move back up to the street.

12:44 p.m.: We're back on the street and on cue, a Hezbollah resistance song is now blaring from an apartment. A young man on the porch dressed in black is giving us the victory sign. I look behind me and there's our Hezbollah guide encouraging the young man to lift his hands higher so our camera can see.

12:50 p.m.: Anderson is doing a few more stand-ups about our story that's quickly become less about Hezbollah and more about their crude propaganda machine when the "family" emerges from the bunker behind us and joins their friends in the street. They're laughing, talking loudly, and gesturing with their hands, mocking anger. I really should learn Arabic. Anderson does another stand-up about the group now standing behind us.

12:55 p.m.: We pile into our van and are now driving out of the Hezbollah-controlled neighborhood. It feels like we've just left a haunted house: Slightly frightening at first, but ridiculous by the end.

Posted By Charlie Moore, CNN Senior Producer: 11:11 AM ET

Link
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 03:04 pm
Re: Fake News / Doctored Photos / How many stories are docto
okie wrote:
The Dan Rather fiasco drew attention to it. I will just post just a couple of examples, but there are many, including Reuters now being exposed as publishing doctored photos from Beirut.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004292.htm

http://sean.gleeson.us/2006/08/05/reuters-fake-news-photo

How many scumbags are there in the news media anyway? And can any story be believed?

Now here's a hypocrite for ya!

Okie, why in the world are you leaping all over this when there is plenty of lying, numerous doctored stories, more than a couple of bought journalists emanating right from the WH?

Malkin is famous for doctored stories. David Neiwert, a Seattle journalist has chronicled her lies [in her book about Japanese internment] and made numerous attempts to discuss them with her. Malkin at first agreed then copped out, knowing that she'd be exposed for the righ wing shill that she is.

Quote:

malkin fact-check
1 Jun 2006 by David Neiwert - References
the stream of misinformation from michelle malkin is so endless these days that ... fortunately, we have malkin(s)watch, which does all the heavy lifting"

Quote:
For it is not too hard to trace the links and find out that Malkin has built a profitable career out of hewing to a specific ideology. She does not just use sloppy and biased research methods in her academic work, it seems like she is actually just paid to update the right-wing isolationist ideology by those who helped propagate it from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Now I'm not condoning this type of behavior but the crucial difference you're missing is that there is a substantial truth behind these stories, even if there is or was some doctored photos or documents.

Compare that to the completely doctored stories and lies coming from your government. That means that your government lies to you, on a regular basis, and here you are running interference for them.

Delusional hardly begins to describe this type of behavior.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 03:18 pm
Speaking of doctored photos from the Bush cabal:

http://www.slate.com/id/2132087/

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123054/2114261/2131358/051212_POL_VideoStilla.jpg

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123054/2114261/2131358/051212_pol_soldierTV_tn.jpg

Boy it sure is funny hearing the rightwingers froth at the mouth in their unrelenting hypocrisy.

Speaking of retreat and defeat, looks like we're gonna hear from Republicans before the mid-term elections about pulling our troops out of Iraq.

Hypocrites, all. No wonder America can't stand the Republican party right now.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 03:24 pm
I expected the answer of the liberal mindset. When the left does it, its okay, but when the right does it, its wrong. The end justifies the means.

Thats why I don't take much of the media very seriously anymore.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 03:31 pm
okie wrote:
I expected the answer of the liberal mindset. When the left does it, its okay, but when the right does it, its wrong. The end justifies the means.

Who on the left did this? It was a Lebanese freelance photographer who did this. He was stupid for doing it, and Reuters rightly dumped him.

Meanwhile, GOP.com proudly removed the Grinch and completely replaced it with their propogandist bullsh!t.

Apples and oranges. How sad that you felt the need to clump all on the left with this Lebanese freelancer. Besides, he sucked at Photoshop. I should know; I do it for a living.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 04:06 pm
Coulda fooled me, but I think the liberal wing leans more to pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel.

And most journalists are a bunch of liberals. We know that from polling data.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 04:07 pm
okie wrote:

Just Faux "news", eh Okie? You obviously drink it in.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 05:15 pm
okie wrote:

No, that is your projection of a "liberal mindset".

When ANYONE does it is wrong.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 07:49 pm
Here is a prime example of the conservative mindset. The willingness to believe and trumpet any old thing, no matter how dishonest, to advance the cause.

Quote:

Endnotes in Coulter's latest book rife with distortions and falsehoods

On July 7, Media Matters for America asked Random House Inc. whether it would investigate charges of plagiarism lodged against right-wing pundit Ann Coulter's latest book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism (Crown Forum, June 2006). Steve Ross, senior vice president and publisher of Crown Publishing Group and publisher of the Crown Forum imprint -- divisions of Random House Inc. -- responded to Media Matters by stating that charges of plagiarism against Coulter were "trivial," "meritless," and "irresponsible," and defended Coulter's scholarship by stating that she "knows when attribution is appropriate, as underscored by the nineteen pages of hundreds of endnotes contained in Godless."

http://mediamatters.org/items/200608070002

Would that it were true. Alas, poor Ann doesn't have the faintest inkling of what scholarship is. Hers, like so many other conservatives, many can be found here at A2K, is a studied program of disception and lying.

Read on to see just how badly Ann distorts the truth. The godless liberals will be amazed at just how ballsy this liar is; the wingnuts here will find more talking points, more tales to weave, more lies to tell.

She obviously believes that "Dishonesty is next to godliness".

0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 08:56 am
okie wrote:
Coulda fooled me, but I think the liberal wing leans more to pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel.

And most journalists are a bunch of liberals. We know that from polling data.

If the liberal mindset includes finding out about the doctored picture, removing it and firing the freelance photographer, than I'm all for it. It was obviously a lack of oversight, as the photograph in question was so poorly manipulated.

So with that logic in mind, I guess the conservative mindset would be to use pictures of our troops in a recreational moment, and doctoring the images to promote their political agenda (i.e., replacing the Grinch with Republican propaganda).

You've outdone yourself on this one, Okie. Contgratulations.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 09:33 am
JTT wrote:
Here is a prime example of the conservative mindset. The willingness to believe and trumpet any old thing, no matter how dishonest, to advance the cause.

Quote:

Endnotes in Coulter's latest book rife with distortions and falsehoods

On July 7, Media Matters for America asked Random House Inc. whether it would investigate charges of plagiarism lodged against right-wing pundit Ann Coulter's latest book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism (Crown Forum, June 2006). Steve Ross, senior vice president and publisher of Crown Publishing Group and publisher of the Crown Forum imprint -- divisions of Random House Inc. -- responded to Media Matters by stating that charges of plagiarism against Coulter were "trivial," "meritless," and "irresponsible," and defended Coulter's scholarship by stating that she "knows when attribution is appropriate, as underscored by the nineteen pages of hundreds of endnotes contained in Godless."

Would that it were true. Alas, poor Ann doesn't have the faintest inkling of what scholarship is. Hers, like so many other conservatives, many can be found here at A2K, is a studied program of disception and lying.

Read on to see just how badly Ann distorts the truth. The godless liberals will be amazed at just how ballsy this liar is; the wingnuts here will find more talking points, more tales to weave, more lies to tell.

She obviously believes that "Dishonesty is next to godliness".

I think she should have fired her twin brother, Dan Coulter, who I believe was responsible for the horrific endnotes in her latest screed.

They do look so much alike...

http://files.photojerk.com/Dookiestix/dancoulter.jpg

Ahh, ya gotta love Photoshop. The trick is to avoid repeated patterns. Now if only Republican propogandists could figure out how to exploit our troops without it seeming so obvious.

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123054/2114261/2131358/051212_POL_VideoStilla.jpg

Maybe Okie knows why nobody fired those who exploited our troops in such a fashion for the GOP. My guess is that Bush probably gave them the Medal of Freedom isntead.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:28 pm
Poor Dan Rather is still trying to prove his National Guard story.

http://nymag.com/news/features/41283/

And this pathetic writing, apparently by Mary Mapes, that apparently is still at it, and still apparently believes her own fabrications.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-mapes/courage-for-dan-rather_b_65257.html

Yes, Dan, COURAGE! And Dan, blame it on Mapes, she said it was all true and authentic.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:49 pm
there we go again... dividing the world into liberals and conservatives as if nothing else existed. i'm sure it's the first thought on the journalist's mind: "I'm so liberal (or I'm so conservative), I will doctor these photos so that they look more liberal (or conservative)".... or what in the world is the point of bringing in those labels here? it's journalists who do that, not 'liberals' or 'conservatives'.
many people in many professions in this silly world cheat. are the bricklayers who put too much water into the cement mixture also 'liberals' or 'conservatives'?
0 Replies