Coloring my hair for the first time

Eva

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:42 am
So...what color are you now, Montana? Did you find one you like?
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:53 am
I'm still trying to find the right color by using temporary colors and so far I've tried 2, but haven't found it yet. My last color I went with a med blond, but since I have so much red in my hair, it came out a bit orangy, not bad though.
When this color has completely washed out, I'm going to try going with the red this time since it's so dominating. I picked out a Med Auburn brown for my next round and I'll let you know what happens.
I'm having fun with it in the mean time :-D
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:59 am
What brands are you trying?
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:59 am
Remember when Al Pacino had a gorgeous head of dark, thick hair? I did too. I just saw a shot of him this morning in the new "Oceans Eleven" movie and got quite a chuckle. Our hair color now is the same light, golden brown. For summer. Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:03 am
Chai wrote:
What brands are you trying?

Since I'm using temporary colors and my choices are limited, I've only tried Clairol 'Natural Instincts'.
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:04 am
eoe wrote:
Remember when Al Pacino had a gorgeous head of dark, thick hair? I did too. I just saw a shot of him this morning in the new "Oceans Eleven" movie and got quite a chuckle. Our hair color now is the same light, golden brown. For summer. Very Happy

Laughing I can picture it.
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:07 am
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8282/oceans2sd3.png

MR. PACINO AND ELLEN BARKIN
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:08 am
Laughing I'm hoping he goes back to black. This just doesn't do it for Al Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:10 am
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:13 am
Yeah, I guess age is the one thing we can't fight.
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:13 am
Problem is, is you're using temporary colors, you're not going to find the same depth and shade when you make the plunge to permanent.

Also....clairol sucks.

Try Feria...seriously, covers gray and gives a wonderful wonderful color and shine.
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:18 am
I was reading tips from the Loreal site and they're the ones who recommended trying temporary colors before taking the plunge, just to get an idea of the shade. I am so afrais of taking the plunge, but when I do, I've heard tons of good things about Loreal.
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:19 am
Is Feria a temp color, Chai?
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:53 am
Montana wrote:
I'm afraid so Victor :-D

I once worked with a guy who was in his early 20's every hair on his head turned white!
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:51 am
Montana wrote:
Is Feria a temp color, Chai?

Feria is a permanent coloring made by L'oreal....yeah, l'oreal products are good, and Feria is the best of them.

I'm all gray now, and when I tried Preference by L'oreal, the gray came through, like a ghost color.

With Feria, even though right on the box is says it's not meant for gray hair...I get 100% coverage. I go dark red, which is the hardest to keep, but it does pretty good....I think the browns and blondes would do really well.

They also make Garnier, which I used to use, but I like Feria better.

Personally, I believe they suggest you go with temp colors first to get you used to the idea of making a change. After a while of coloring with permanent colors, you get pretty casual about it. I mean, you're not freaked out about the changes from one brown from another, or blonde, red etc. as long as you're in the same neighborhood.

Like right now, I do have Garnier on my hair...because I found a box of it in my bathroom I'd bought like half a year ago on sale. So, I just used that. Not my favorite, but hey, I'll be redoing it in a couple weeks anyway. No biggie.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:39 pm
This reminds me of a Crash Test Dummies tune...

"Once there was a boy
who woke up with blue hair
to him it was a joy
Until he ran out into warm air -
He thought of how his friends would come to see
And would they laugh, or had he got some strange disease?"
0 Replies

Diane

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 01:58 pm
Late as usual, but this has been a fun read. I've colored my hair since I was about 15. Usually blonde, but sometimes red for the fun of it.

Now my hair is mostly grey with a large white streak on the left front. Before my hair had turned mostly grey, I would cover the white stread with vaseline to keep it from absorbing any color, and color the rest. Now I don't have to worry, I just use the palest ash blonde and do the whole head. No longer have to worry about roots as my hair is really short.

I think things like makeup and hair color, jewelry, etc. are all things that women have been doing since time immemorial. It isn't so much to do with a bad image, just the fun of experimenting.

Yesterday, our next door neighbor had her hair foiled and her make up done, all for the first time in her life--she is 54. Dys was sort of sad, saying that she was beautiful anyway and why did she think she needed to do anything to herself. I explained the difference between play and obsession. When I told my neighbor what he had said, she was touched at the his idea but knew that he just didn't understand.

If I ever get to nose rings or twenty neck bracelets, it's time to start worrying.
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 02:11 pm
Chai, Thanks for the advice. My mom swears by Loreal and I think I'll take your suggestion when I finally decide to make the drastic permanant change.
Right now I'm just playing with color to see which color works best with my hair. It'll at least give me an idea of what colors do what to my hair.
Hair dressers have told me not even to try to go in the blond direction unless I bleach first because I have too much red in my hair and we all know red and yellow make orange. I found that out after trying the med blond, but thankfully it didn't turn a dramatic orange.

I'm going to try out the box of med ash brown I have here next and maybe after that I'll be ready for the Loreal plunge.

CJ
Laughing

Diane, you can tell Dys that I said "girls just wanna have fun" :-D
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 02:17 pm
I got a nose ring. http://www.xs4all.nl/~ernstmul/images/yahoo/19.gif
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 8 Jun, 2007 02:29 pm
yeah, and you got a booger caught in it.
0 Replies