19
   

Coloring my hair for the first time

 
 
Montana
 
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 05:31 am
Shocked

The greys are beginning to take over my head, so it's time to color my hair Shocked

My hair is a light to med brown and I'm looking to go just a bit lighter, so I bought a box of Loreal golden blond.

Before I do this later today, I wanted to talk to you guys first to get your thoughts and suggestions.

I'm scared Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 13,883 • Replies: 250
Topic Closed
No top replies

 
Dizzy Delicious
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 05:58 am
Don't some hair dyes cause cancer?
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:01 am
That's the first I hear of that, so I have no idea.
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:03 am
Grey hair on a woman can be really sexy......

if you want to hide it, but dont want to do a full head color.. (?) maybe just do small segments on the top of your head where the grey is, and leave the rest your natural color..


or just stay cute as you are and own that sexy grey hair. Wink
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:09 am
on the cancer issue, I found this http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=4124

Shewolf
I hear ya, but I truly am ready for a change and the grey just clashes with my hair because my hair is so straight/fine and the grey is not straight/fine, so the grey is beginning to take over Confused

A part of me wants to do it, but another part of me doesn't <sigh>.
0 Replies
 
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:10 am
http://www.artechhairdesigners.com/images/artech-highlights.jpg

this might be more 'extreme' then you want, but this style is sort of what I was talking about.

Just do the sections that have the grey, maybe the entire crown of your head, and leave the back and base of your hair the natrual color.

Having your face framed with a shade lighter hair brightens your face, and according to stylists ( if they are telling the truth Laughing) make you appear younger.

Besides that, if you only do a small section of your head, it is easier to coat the color correctly by yourself, and if you dont like it, you only have a little to retouch instead of having to strip your whole head of color..
know what I mean??

If you can afford it, go to a salon and do it.
Have them use a color stripper on your hair.

Instead of the color depositing dyes like you get in the stores, the color stripper brings out natural colors in your hair so it doesnt ever turn brassy, dry your hair out, or leave you with uneven color.

Hair color in a box is a deposit color that may not always take to every type of hair. It can leave spots of too MUCH color, or not enough.
It washes off after a while and you dont always have the full color you might have had when it is first finished.

The bonus of deposit colors is that you can retouch them cheaper and when ever you want.
The down side being , they might not take as well as you want.


The bonus of color stripping is that it is always even and complete.
The down side, is that you have to go to a salon to have it redone.

My best friend is a hair stylist. 20 some years worth of practice.

She used to do my hair and used color strippers only..
Compared to the box colors I was using, the stripper was the perfect solution for me.... but i also had the conveince of getting her to do it at any time.
0 Replies
 
Dizzy Delicious
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:13 am
Bald is sexy, too.
0 Replies
 
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:14 am
Montana wrote:

Shewolf
I hear ya, but I truly am ready for a change and the grey just clashes with my hair because my hair is so straight/fine and the grey is not straight/fine, so the grey is beginning to take over Confused


I hear ya.

Im starting to pop some greys here and there in small patches.

My hair is spiral curly, but the hair itself is baby fine.
The grey patches are thicker then my "colored' hair and comes out straight against my curly stuff..

I wish it would just look and behave like the rest of it. I would love it then..
But for now, I can hide it with rubber bands.. or just let it be because it isnt THAT noticeable yet..
0 Replies
 
Dizzy Delicious
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:16 am
Dizzy Delicious wrote:
Bald is sexy, too.


On men and women! Laughing
0 Replies
 
squinney
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:20 am
I've had a box of color in my bathroom closet for months. Just too scared to do it.

If I took shewolf's approach, I'd look hilarious. Too much gray for that method. Will just have to do the whole shibang.

Okay, Montana. I will if you will.

Today.

Let's do it. We'll be sisters in color.

Ready....?
0 Replies
 
Dizzy Delicious
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:22 am
Why can't humans grow old gracefully? Is hair color that important?

You won't think so, at your hour of death, unless the angel of death works for Revlon. Shocked
0 Replies
 
Tai Chi
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:23 am
I'm going to agree with shewolf on this one. I have lots of grey hair coming in too and the texture is definitely different. This means it will dye differently too so I'm not sure colouring it will solve that problem for you. I have never dyed my hair -- too afraid of a colour disaster and can't stand the thought of dark roots coming in. I did once cross my fingers and let my cousin (a qualified hairstylist) talk me in to highlights. My hair looked great. He chose really subtle colours and lightened the layers in such a way that when I decided to grow them out it wasn't obvious. Shewolf's right about it brightening up the face and the best part is that when you meet people they won't go into shock as they might if all your hair is a drastically different colour. Most people didn't even notice the highlights but I got compliments on how well I looked.
0 Replies
 
squinney
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:28 am
That's exactly why I haven't done it yet. I always thought I would just let it do what nature intended. I have never colored my hair or done anything unnatural to it outside that one really dumb perm idea I had back in '79.

But, the hair with color is also getting dull.
0 Replies
 
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:33 am
Dizzy Delicious wrote:

You won't think so, at your hour of death, unless the angel of death works for Revlon. Shocked


Laughing Laughing

In hollywood, he does!!
0 Replies
 
Tai Chi
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:39 am
I'm at a point where I think the problem with grey hair is not having enough. It's when you just have a few coming in that you feel it looks dull and start feeling old. I want enough that I have lots of silver coming in. Some women have gorgeous salt and pepper hair and the silver strands look like guard hairs almost (shewolf might like that). What is it about hair that we're never happy?
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:39 am
Montana-Clairol makes a product called, "Natural Instincts". It is a semi-permanent coloring, as it is supposed to last through 28 shampoos.

My suggestion is to get a color that is closest to your natural color. It will "sparkle" your own color, as well as cover the grey.

I was doing that for awhile. Then I got "brilliant" idea. My hair is medium brown and is just starting to get a bit of grey in it. I thought that if I used a medium blonde, it would cover the grey, and make my hair look "frosted", without doing anything to the darker hair.

Well................I was wrong. Even though the product is touted as semi-permanent, it did lighten the darker hair, do I ended up with "roots", which I did not want. I did not have that problem though when I used a shade close to my own coloring.


http://www.clairol.com/brand/naturalinstincts/palette.jsp?hf=
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:39 am
shewolfnm wrote:
http://www.artechhairdesigners.com/images/artech-highlights.jpg

this might be more 'extreme' then you want, but this style is sort of what I was talking about.

Just do the sections that have the grey, maybe the entire crown of your head, and leave the back and base of your hair the natrual color.

Having your face framed with a shade lighter hair brightens your face, and according to stylists ( if they are telling the truth Laughing) make you appear younger.

Besides that, if you only do a small section of your head, it is easier to coat the color correctly by yourself, and if you dont like it, you only have a little to retouch instead of having to strip your whole head of color..
know what I mean??

If you can afford it, go to a salon and do it.
Have them use a color stripper on your hair.

Instead of the color depositing dyes like you get in the stores, the color stripper brings out natural colors in your hair so it doesnt ever turn brassy, dry your hair out, or leave you with uneven color.

Hair color in a box is a deposit color that may not always take to every type of hair. It can leave spots of too MUCH color, or not enough.
It washes off after a while and you dont always have the full color you might have had when it is first finished.

The bonus of deposit colors is that you can retouch them cheaper and when ever you want.
The down side being , they might not take as well as you want.


The bonus of color stripping is that it is always even and complete.
The down side, is that you have to go to a salon to have it redone.

My best friend is a hair stylist. 20 some years worth of practice.

She used to do my hair and used color strippers only..
Compared to the box colors I was using, the stripper was the perfect solution for me.... but i also had the conveince of getting her to do it at any time.


That's cool, but just a bit too extreme for me. I think I'd rather have my hair all the same color.
This is something I would have done when I was younger, but as I get older, I lose a bit of my balls Laughing
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:46 am
squinney wrote:
I've had a box of color in my bathroom closet for months. Just too scared to do it.

If I took shewolf's approach, I'd look hilarious. Too much gray for that method. Will just have to do the whole shibang.

Okay, Montana. I will if you will.

Today.

Let's do it. We'll be sisters in color.

Ready....?


Oh cool, I've got a color sister :-D

I opened the box yesterday and was ready to do it, but it says I need 2 boxes for long hair, so I have to run out and get another one.

I'm ready, though, but scared to death Laughing

I'll let you know when I have the other box and am ready to take the plunge ;-)

We can do it, sis ;-)
0 Replies
 
Montana
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:49 am
Dizzy Delicious wrote:
Why can't humans grow old gracefully? Is hair color that important?

You won't think so, at your hour of death, unless the angel of death works for Revlon. Shocked


Did you read the link I added regarding cancer? The risk factor is very low and there's no proof that connects the two.
0 Replies
 
gustavratzenhofer
 
  1  
Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:49 am
Why the hell are you scared? Do you think your head is going to fall off?

Try facing a charging wild boar in your basement some time. Then tell me what scary is.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Coloring my hair for the first time
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/24/2020 at 04:25:51