Coloring my hair for the first time

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:50 am
Tai Chi wrote:
I'm going to agree with shewolf on this one. I have lots of grey hair coming in too and the texture is definitely different. This means it will dye differently too so I'm not sure colouring it will solve that problem for you. I have never dyed my hair -- too afraid of a colour disaster and can't stand the thought of dark roots coming in. I did once cross my fingers and let my cousin (a qualified hairstylist) talk me in to highlights. My hair looked great. He chose really subtle colours and lightened the layers in such a way that when I decided to grow them out it wasn't obvious. Shewolf's right about it brightening up the face and the best part is that when you meet people they won't go into shock as they might if all your hair is a drastically different colour. Most people didn't even notice the highlights but I got compliments on how well I looked.

Now I'm scared again <sigh>.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:53 am
Montana- After reading the post about cancer, I did a bit of web surfing. For every article that stated a connection, there was another one that said that there is absolutely no proof. So we really don't know.

Years ago, they used to say that it was something in the dark colors that might cause cancer. So, the "jury is out".

I think that there are so many carcinogens that we ingest, breathe and touch nowadays, that we would have to live in a cave to avoid them!

BTW, I have been coloring my hair, on and off, ever since I started frosting it at age 15.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:56 am
squinney wrote:
That's exactly why I haven't done it yet. I always thought I would just let it do what nature intended. I have never colored my hair or done anything unnatural to it outside that one really dumb perm idea I had back in '79.

But, the hair with color is also getting dull.

Yeah, I hear ya. My hair is so fine and those curly greys, sticking out just don't look good, in my opinion.
I never colored my hair myself, but I did use to have it bleached by a hairdresser years ago and I was happy with it.
My hair is light enough that when I decided to grow it out, it wasn't too bad.
The one thing I dred is having to deal with the roots, though, but I'm not planning on making a drastic change in color, so I don't think it'll be too bad.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:04 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Montana-Clairol makes a product called, "Natural Instincts". It is a semi-permanent coloring, as it is supposed to last through 28 shampoos.

My suggestion is to get a color that is closest to your natural color. It will "sparkle" your own color, as well as cover the grey.

I was doing that for awhile. Then I got "brilliant" idea. My hair is medium brown and is just starting to get a bit of grey in it. I thought that if I used a medium blonde, it would cover the grey, and make my hair look "frosted", without doing anything to the darker hair.

Well................I was wrong. Even though the product is touted as semi-permanent, it did lighten the darker hair, do I ended up with "roots", which I did not want. I did not have that problem though when I used a shade close to my own coloring.

http://www.clairol.com/brand/naturalinstincts/palette.jsp?hf=

Awesome! I think I'm going to go this route. I don't think I'm quite ready to make a permanent change, so I think this is my best bet, as it'll wash out in a month.

Thanks Phoenix :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:05 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Montana- After reading the post about cancer, I did a bit of web surfing. For every article that stated a connection, there was another one that said that there is absolutely no proof. So we really don't know.

Years ago, they used to say that it was something in the dark colors that might cause cancer. So, the "jury is out".

I think that there are so many carcinogens that we ingest, breathe and touch nowadays, that we would have to live in a cave to avoid them!

BTW, I have been coloring my hair, on and off, ever since I started frosting it at age 15.

Yeah, I smoke, so worrying about hair color is the least of my worries Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:06 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Why the hell are you scared? Do you think your head is going to fall off?

Try facing a charging wild boar in your basement some time. Then tell me what scary is.

Laughing You're right, Gus. This is small peanuts compared to wild boars in the basement.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:08 am
Squinney
Maybe you could get the same stuff, so we're not stuck with it if it doesn't turn out the way we hoped :-D
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:09 am
Sometimes the results can be disastrous when a woman dyes her hair, but Gertrude experimented last summer and, frankly, I was so overcome with lust by her appearance that I nailed her minutes after this picture was taken...

http://www.polyesterexpress.com/pics/Sarah%20Having%20a%20Bad%20Hair%20Day.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:12 am
Gus- You have to understand how Montana is feeling. After all, for someone who has never colored her hair, it is a big step.

Think of it this way. How would YOU feel, sitting in a barber chair, the moment before you tell the barber to go ahead and give you that Mohawk that you have always wanted!!! Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:13 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Gus- You have to understand how Montana is feeling. After all, for someone who has never colored her hair, it is a big step.

Think of it this way. How would YOU feel, sitting in a barber chair, the moment before you tell the barber to go ahead and give you that Mohawk that you have always wanted!!! Laughing

Been there, done that.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:25 am
Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:27 am
I colored my hair once (about four years ago) with a semi-permanent color that was intended to cover some grey but match my natural brown. It didn't really work but the bit I splashed on my bathroom walls when applying the dye forced me to repaint my bathroom. I took it as a sign from above that I was meant to be my natural grey self.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:51 am
I'm gonna give it a try just to see if it works for me, as I'm not content with the grey and my hair could use more body & shine.

Wish me luck :-D
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:13 am
Good luck, Montana!

I've always liked my own hair color, brown with some red in it... and never did frost it or dye it, thinking I'd wait until it turned grey and maybe add one streak of color. It's been turning grey now for years and years, and years and years... (and lost the shine and much of the red). So, when I get to be about eighty, I'll suddenly try out strawberry blond...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:08 am
J_B wrote:
I colored my hair once (about four years ago) with a semi-permanent color that was intended to cover some grey but match my natural brown. It didn't really work but the bit I splashed on my bathroom walls when applying the dye forced me to repaint my bathroom. I took it as a sign from above that I was meant to be my natural grey self.

Ah, funny you should mention that. It is important that you cover the floor area around where you use the dye with newspapers, in case you spill some. When you comb the stuff thru your hair, do it slowly and gently, so you don't redecorate your walls.
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:51 am
montana and squinney...I've been coloring my own hair for years...so do you mind if I share a couple of techniques to make the process easy.

just "Ask Dr. Chai" :wink:

First time you're going to do this, you can use the bottle applicator, since you're doing your entire virgin head.....leave in the color at least 5 minutes longer than they tell you to....otherwise it might not get all the grey. remember though, if your ends are dry, they will pick up more color.

by the way montana...L'oreal is an excellent brand...if you pick up the L'oreal Feria brand, you've picked the best for both color and coverage of gray.

The tried and try directions below are for when you are re-doing your hair, but read them anyway for hints.

#1 - run out to a beauty supply store an buy a couple of cheap brushes that are used specifically to die hair.

#2 - take an old newspaper and line the bathroom flow with it, so no drips.

#3 - take off your bra and pants and put on an old t-shirt you can give to the cause...save it for all you future colorings.

#4 - mix up the solution in the bottle as they say, but then squeez some in a disposable bowl or any old one. Use the brush you bought to apply color.

#5 - lean over and part you hair down the middle, making sure to part WELL back on your crown.

CHAI TEA WARNING....The crown of your head is the easiest part to miss, and the most noticible if you miss it!!!!!! Make sure you get the root covered there!!

#6 dipping brush in bowl, don't be shy about getting enough dye on the roots. Don't be chintzy. after getting the roots covered in that section, working from back to front, part your hair just an eigth to a quarter inch over and work down the side of your head...repeat on other side.

#7 for the back of your head, it's really a world easier to get someone else to do it....montana, maybe a frenchman?

#8 besides the crown, make sure you get your hairline in the front and your "sideburns. if any gets on your skin, wipe off, and anyway, it'll get washed off by the 2nd shampoo.

#9 never mind what the box says about timing...leave in on your roots for 35 minutes, then you can use the rest of the dye in the applicator to do the rest of your hair, leaving that in 10 minutes...a total of 45.
0 Replies

squinney

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
Easy for you to say, Chia. Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
Chai Tea wrote:
...CHAI TEA WARNING....The crown of your head is the easiest part to miss, and the most noticible if you miss it!!!!!! Make sure you get the root covered there!!

#7 for the back of your head, it's really a world easier to get someone else to do it....montana, maybe a frenchman?

I started going to the salon to have my coloring done. 120.00 a pop but it's definitely worth it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 11:03 am
Ah, Chai Tea just talked me out of it... I'm sure I'd end up a mess, my house would be a mess, and my dog would have a new do....
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 12:35 pm
Ok, so I did the Clairol Natural Instincts and it did nothing to cover they grey <sigh>.

The color isn't bad, but not as nice as my natural color and I can't believe the grey is still there Sad

Now I wait 28 washes before I can do anything again, so it looks like I'm stuck with the grey for another month or until I find the guts to try a permanent color.

My hair is such a pain in the ass! Grrrrrrr!!!!!!
0 Replies