Coloring my hair for the first time

Bi-Polar Bear

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:55 am
Montana wrote:
Laughing

Hey Bear, did Squinney take the color plunge with me or did she chicken out?

she hadn't when I left the house to do a gig 7 hours ago.. she's asleep now....
0 Replies

Montana

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:58 am
I bet she didn't do it. We were suppose to be color sisters too Sad
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:09 am
My hair on my head is not turning grey but the hair around Mr. Big Bear is.... should I color?

PS the hair on my head, although not turning color is turning loose Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Montana

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:18 am
Well, I'm thinking no on the color for "Mr. Big Bear", but I bet Squinney might just enjoy a nice shade of pink or even purple.

Something to think about Cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:36 am
dadpad wrote:
My daughter gets hair dye everywhere when she does hers, and it doesnt come off the vanity unit or the wall.

Why cant you girls just be happy with what god gives you.

Well, for starters I don't believe in god, and for seconders I have been dying my hair just for fun and amusement ever since I can remember, and long before I got any grey.

For me it is like changing clothing colour.

It is personal decoration play.

Oy! I have a nice photo on my phone of me from today, complete with hair.....if I could just get unlazy and learn how to get it into my computer.....
0 Replies

squinney

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 04:42 am
Montana - I'm with you girlfriend. The instructions say you have to wash your hair, wait a day. Mine had hairspray, so couldn't skip that step. Will be colored by this evening.
0 Replies

Chai

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:17 pm
ahhh....I have just "rooted" myself and now have about 40 minutes to kill...

oh!

don't forget your eyebrows....apply with a q-tip.

yeah, hair coloring takes better on dirty hair.

I never worried about hairspray in it...dirty is dirty.
0 Replies

Eva

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 04:26 pm
Montana! You're finally ready to join the rest of us!

I've colored my hair since I was 15, too. Once, in my mid-20s, I let it grow out because I wanted to see if the natural color had changed any. No such luck. Went back to coloring it and haven't seen more than an inch of my natural (dull) color since. My hairstylist says it is light brownish with about 20% gray now. All I remember is that it was that color that looks dirty even when it's clean, and has no body or highlights.

I had very blonde hair as a child which got progressively darker as I got older. I still have the very fair complexion of a blonde, but the darker hair didn't look right with my skin color at all. I always looked tired or ill. My favorite natural shade was when I was 8 years old, so I took my 4th grade school picture to my hairstylist and told her to copy that. It looks right with my coloring now. I've told the stylist to let me know when it gets to 85-90% gray, and I'll let it grow out and see what I look like. I might like that. I just don't like the salt & pepper look. (I agree, Meryl's hair DID look fabulous!)

I did my own haircoloring at home for about 12 years until I happened to get a box with bad chemicals once and my hair turned green. Since then, I've left this job to the pros. Right now, my hair is a mixture of blonde-strawberry blonde-light brown similar to my avatar. I love it.

Something no one has mentioned about lightening hair...hair goes through a red stage on its way to blonde. Some people (like me) have a very long red stage...especially those with some red in their hair to begin with. I suspect, Montana, that you will need to leave the color on a little longer than recommended to get it to the blonde stage. Wipe the solution off a few strands after the time recommended on the box, and if it's still too red, just leave it on a little longer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 04:32 pm
Eva, your hair looked fabulous in Chicago...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:20 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

oh!

Dr. Chai, the box always says "Don't put it on your eyebrows, you fool! You'll go blind!" Well, my questions are, 1. Do Catholic nuns write the warnings on haircolor boxes? and 2. How long do you leave it on your brows? and 3. Why do they tell you not to? and 4. Can I screw it up? I've been nervous to try it.

Then also I have a q for you about how often you color your whole head. Did you say every four weeks you do the whole thing again? My color doesn't last long but I'm afraid my hair will completely dry up and break off if I do it more often than every six weeks like the instructions say.
0 Replies

Chai

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:59 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

oh!

Dr. Chai, the box always says "Don't put it on your eyebrows, you fool! You'll go blind!" Well, my questions are, 1. Do Catholic nuns write the warnings on haircolor boxes? and 2. How long do you leave it on your brows? and 3. Why do they tell you not to? and 4. Can I screw it up? I've been nervous to try it.

Then also I have a q for you about how often you color your whole head. Did you say every four weeks you do the whole thing again? My color doesn't last long but I'm afraid my hair will completely dry up and break off if I do it more often than every six weeks like the instructions say.

1. Yes....nunzilla is responsible for all the warnings.
http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/Pics/nunzilla.jpg

2.As soon as I finish my roots, I'll put it on, and leave it on all the way until I get in the shower...I wipe it off with a tissue before getting in the shower.

3. They tell you not to do that to cover their ass....they are afraid you'll be really stupid and gob on so much it'll drip in your eye. I'm sure that would sting like a son of a bitch, and who knows, if you ran around the house for 10 minutes like the little boy in Bad Santa when he cut his hand, I'm sure your eye would sustain some damage...just be careful. You're an artist, you shouldn't have a problem.
After I put in on my brow, I use my fingernail to wipe off the excess to make the brow shape.

4. what are you afraid of screwing up? seriously, as an artist you are more than capable. what you do all the time is much harder.
0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:17 pm
Eva wrote:
I did my own haircoloring at home for about 12 years until I happened to get a box with bad chemicals once and my hair turned green.

Got any photos of that event that you'd like to share with us? Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 08:33 pm
thanks for the answers, Chai, your wisdom is boundless! I'm going to give the brows a whirl next time I do my hair.

Now, what about how often? I'll look back and double check, but I think you did say you do your roots every two weeks and your whole head two weeks after that? I've been wishing I could do it more often but worried about drying my hair out too much.
0 Replies

Eva

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:16 pm
Reyn wrote:
Eva wrote:
I did my own haircoloring at home for about 12 years until I happened to get a box with bad chemicals once and my hair turned green.

Got any photos of that event that you'd like to share with us? Laughing

Um...uh.....NO.
I would have used bodily force on anyone who came near me with a camera at that point.

ossobuco wrote:
Eva, your hair looked fabulous in Chicago...

Thank you! I hope you agree that it suits my complexion. IMO, blonde eyebrows and eyelashes look really stupid with brown hair.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:19 pm
Perfetto.
0 Replies

Montana

Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:05 am
squinney wrote:
Montana - I'm with you girlfriend. The instructions say you have to wash your hair, wait a day. Mine had hairspray, so couldn't skip that step. Will be colored by this evening.

Tap....tap.....tap.....

Waiting for results :-)
0 Replies

Montana

Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:07 am
Phoenix
When I washed my hair today, it did soften the color like you said and it looks pretty nice, although I regret that I didn't leave it in a bit longer to cover the grey.

I'll let you know how my next attempt goes ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:08 am
Chai Tea wrote:

oh!

Fortunately, my eyebrows are lighter than my natural color, so I won't need to do that :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:10 am
Eva wrote:
Montana! You're finally ready to join the rest of us!

I've colored my hair since I was 15, too. Once, in my mid-20s, I let it grow out because I wanted to see if the natural color had changed any. No such luck. Went back to coloring it and haven't seen more than an inch of my natural (dull) color since. My hairstylist says it is light brownish with about 20% gray now. All I remember is that it was that color that looks dirty even when it's clean, and has no body or highlights.

I had very blonde hair as a child which got progressively darker as I got older. I still have the very fair complexion of a blonde, but the darker hair didn't look right with my skin color at all. I always looked tired or ill. My favorite natural shade was when I was 8 years old, so I took my 4th grade school picture to my hairstylist and told her to copy that. It looks right with my coloring now. I've told the stylist to let me know when it gets to 85-90% gray, and I'll let it grow out and see what I look like. I might like that. I just don't like the salt & pepper look. (I agree, Meryl's hair DID look fabulous!)

I did my own haircoloring at home for about 12 years until I happened to get a box with bad chemicals once and my hair turned green. Since then, I've left this job to the pros. Right now, my hair is a mixture of blonde-strawberry blonde-light brown similar to my avatar. I love it.

Something no one has mentioned about lightening hair...hair goes through a red stage on its way to blonde. Some people (like me) have a very long red stage...especially those with some red in their hair to begin with. I suspect, Montana, that you will need to leave the color on a little longer than recommended to get it to the blonde stage. Wipe the solution off a few strands after the time recommended on the box, and if it's still too red, just leave it on a little longer.

I would sooooooo love to have it done at the hair dresser, but my budget just won't let me go there.

You do have beautiful hair, Eva :-D
0 Replies

Chai

Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:50 am
cyphercat wrote:
thanks for the answers, Chai, your wisdom is boundless! I'm going to give the brows a whirl next time I do my hair.

Now, what about how often? I'll look back and double check, but I think you did say you do your roots every two weeks and your whole head two weeks after that? I've been wishing I could do it more often but worried about drying my hair out too much.

ok to be clear(er)

On the weeks I do my entire head... I apply the color to the roots ALL over my head, using the bowl/brush technique. apply to eyebrows
I wait 35 minutes....
Then, I put on the gloves that come in the box and squeeze the rest of the color on my hair from the bottle and distribute with the gloves....it's like...squeeze some on hair, rub around....bend over....squeeze more on underside of hair, rub around....squeeze some on other areas, rub around....etc. I don't comb it through...just make sure is distributed well. I'll "comb" it through with my gloved fingers some.
I wait 10 more minutes, wipe off brows...wash hair.

The tube of conditioner that comes with it? I'll put on quite a bit when I do the whole head...but honestly, the tube lasts me the entire month, I wash my hair every other day, and use some every time. Off the subject, but I even use it on my legs to shave them, just a little, so much better than any shave cream.

Then, 2 weeks later, I open a new box...pour some developer into a bowl, pour some color in, mix with brush, apply to roots in front half of head (don't even put gloves on)...I tightly seal the 2 bottles and use the rest in 2 weeks....at that time I mix it all together in the bottle, and do roots and rest of head.

Coloring your hair actually is good for it...

Not to sound vain, but my hair is one of my best features, and it's in great shape. It's not dry at all.

Then again, I never blow dry it. I do use hot rollers, but not too hot.

The last time I got my hair cut I had a new stylist. While she was cutting I did ask her..."does my hair feel dry"

she was like...."sha..No!"

Laughing I keep imaging dadpad reading all this, shaking his head...

bet he doesn't complain when he looking at a girl with a stable in her middle Cool

honestly, it's all just upkeep.
0 Replies