Coloring my hair for the first time

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:15 pm
Great advice, everyone.

I actually intended to lighten my hair just one stage lighter, but it ended up coming out just a tad bit darker, although Phoenix says that the color will soften after a few washes, so it'll probebly end up being my origional color by Tues.
My natural hair is such a light brown that it could be considered a dark blond and what I'm aiming for is a med blond.

Jes
I was looking at the Loreal colors today and I was looking at the med golden blond and if my next attempt at the temporary color doesn't take care of the grey, I think I'm going to head for the Loreal.
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:38 pm
It shouldn't stain your sink osso, I put a piece of newpaper under the bowl, but sometimes a drop gets in the sink..it just wipes up. If it did stain, bleach would take it out.

It won't stain your shower, as it'll be running off too quickly down the drain. I've never had a problem. The first couple times you might feel awkward, but soon enough you get your own system.

I don't do it nekkid because I'm red, and that will actually stain the skin...

That's neat jespah, seeing the colors....I used to be 67-Cardinal, or 66-Ruby Fusion, depending on my mood.

Lately, I've gotten a little tired of that much red, and have switched to 56-Brilliant Bordeaux. It's got enough rich brown to keep me happy, and enough rich auburn for the red my husband likes.

OH! That's another thing...Once you discover the color you like, if you have to buy another brand, you can pretty much go by the number. If I bought Garnier, I could just buy their 66....basically the same thing.

The higher the number, the lighter the color.

I bought one of Feria's "Power Reds" once....when I mixed it up in the bowl....it was EXACTLY the color of Dorothy's Red Shoes in the Wizard of Oz, complete with sparkles Shocked Shocked Shocked

I held my breath and put it on....didn't end up being much different than Ruby Fusion, but harder to rinse out, so I never tried it again.

That's the funny thing about dying your hair...at first you're afraid, thinking "OMG, what will it turn out like"....after a while, you're like "Oh, what the hell, let's give this one a whirl"

here we go...found a good picture...I've been the first 3 reds on the bottom row, right now I'm the 3rd one down the row, 56.

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/681/feriared3dr.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:44 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Do you do the roots thing at the back of your head, as Chai was describing early on? Am not clear if you do that all over the scalp or mostly at the top...

Oh, I do the roots only 2 weeks after coloring the roots and hair.

I only do the roots on the front of my head, from the crown to the forhead, and down the side of my head. The roots in the back don't show on me, because my hair is shoulder length, and it just covers it up.

My husband comes in and does the roots in the back when I'm doing the whole thing, takes him less than 10 minutes, and he actually enjoys doing it.
I think next time I'll try to do it myself.

Doing the roots is just a nice pick me up, kinda freshens you up.
0 Replies

dadpad

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:47 pm
My daughter gets hair dye everywhere when she does hers, and it doesnt come off the vanity unit or the wall.

Why cant you girls just be happy with what god gives you.
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:50 pm
dadpad wrote:
My daughter gets hair dye everywhere when she does hers, and it doesnt come off the vanity unit or the wall.

What does she do? Fling her head around in an epileptic seizure?

Ya just gotta be a little careful...does she place newspaper down?

jeez...these kids.
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:53 pm
dadpad wrote:

'Cause what God gave me turned grey before I was a quarter-century old. :wink:

Here's m'shade: http://i16.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/9f/40/93_2.JPG
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:55 pm
I have natural red highlights in my hair and for some reason, I never liked it, even though I liked my natural color.
The color I put in it today added some bronze to the mix, which looks ok, but I really want to go lighter with my hair.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:56 pm
dadpad wrote:

I'm 42 and still single, that's why Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:57 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
dadpad wrote:

What does she do? Fling her head around in an epileptic seizure?

Ya just gotta be a little careful...does she place newspaper down?

jeez...these kids.

Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:58 pm
jespah wrote:
dadpad wrote:

'Cause what God gave me turned grey before I was a quarter-century old. :wink:

Here's m'shade: http://i16.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/9f/40/93_2.JPG

That's the color I'm aiming for, except a bit darker.
0 Replies

dadpad

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:09 pm
I could wade in here with a diatribe about female body image and unrealistic expectations created by marketing gurus who's only goal is the holy dollar.

But I won't.

You're all old enough and smart enough to be able to see what you are doing to the next generation.

Double standards?
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:17 pm
dadpad wrote:
I could wade in here with a diatribe about female body image and unrealistic expectations created by marketing gurus who's only goal is the holy dollar.

But I won't.

You're all old enough and smart enough to be able to see what you are doing to the next generation.

Double standards?

you're funny....

no one here has an unrealistic expectation of what dying their hair will do for them dadpad....we know it's not going to turn us into supermodels.

Really, it's no different than polishing our nails...I never try to hide the fact I dye my hair, I don't think it's a color that you would find very often in nature anyway.

Changing my hair color is like changing my shoes....different mood, different color.

What "us girls" are talking about her is primping. It's like discussing what perfume we like, or how much we love wearing green because it brings out the colors of our eyes.

Really dad pad...this is just Girl Talk.

you wouldn't understand.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:21 pm
Dadpad
The thing is that when we women start to age and the grey makes us look even older, it helps lift our spirits if we can look just a bit younger for a while longer.

I am one of the fortunate ones who looks younger than I am, but those damn greys give me away and since I tend to be attracted to younger men, I've gotta tame my hair to match the younger looking me :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:26 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
dadpad wrote:

But I won't.

Double standards?

you're funny....

no one here has an unrealistic expectation of what dying their hair will do for them dadpad....we know it's not going to turn us into supermodels.

Really, it's no different than polishing our nails...I never try to hide the fact I dye my hair, I don't think it's a color that you would find very often in nature anyway.

Changing my hair color is like changing my shoes....different mood, different color.

What "us girls" are talking about her is primping. It's like discussing what perfume we like, or how much we love wearing green because it brings out the colors of our eyes.

Really dad pad...this is just Girl Talk.

you wouldn't understand.

Exactly! I don't see many women who don't color their hair these days, even the ones who don't need it.

Whatever makes you happy shouldn't be a problem for anyone else unless it effects them and hair color doesn't hurt anyone :-D
0 Replies

dadpad

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:30 pm
I take it back.

Perhaps your not smart enough to see what you are doing to the next generation.

I'm out of here.
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:36 pm
Dadpad
My mother was coloring her hair before I was born and I don't see what that has to do with the next generation.

The way you're talking, you would think we were all here talking about what the best drugs were.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Sat 5 Aug, 2006 11:14 pm
I've been dying my hair since i was 15 as well. Now is the first time that I'm actually trying the opposite! i cut my hair short to see what my real hair looks like. i got no grey yet, so i figured it's now or never. as soon as the grey appears, it's back to coloring!

porcelain sink won't stain, plastic bath tub will, or might. i guess it depends. i have never been too careful, after a few years, i would essentially squirt a good palmsize dollop of coloring on my hair and work it in with my hands as if i would a shampoo. no mess, no lengthy parting, and combing and whatnot. took literally a few seconds each time, wait 30 minutes, rinse, go. i can't be bothered. if you put enough lotion on your forehead, no stains on your skin either. i've had all colors from the blondest blonde through reds and browns (even green) to blackest black. and some disasters, but hey. nothing more color wouldn't fix. Plus, it's just hair. it grows. meh. be adventurous, it's worth it.
0 Replies

Montana

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:28 am
Thanks Dag, I needed that :-D

Every time I look in the mirror, the more I like the color and am just wishing that it had covered the grey.
It is less noticable, though :-D
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:30 am
My daughter recently died her hair.... pink. So should she have been thinking about what she was doing to the previous generation? Because squinney about ****. Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:35 am
Laughing

Hey Bear, did Squinney take the color plunge with me or did she chicken out?
0 Replies