Born in the wrong era

Atavistic

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 01:38 pm
Chivalry is dead......and women killed it.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 01:43 pm
Oh, and I definitely feel like a throwback to a different time, I just haven't figured out when.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 01:50 pm
Atavistic wrote:

And how, pray tell, is that?
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 02:23 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Atavistic wrote:

I have no desire to be chivalrous toward a woman that sleeps around. I have no desire to be chivalrous towards a woman who acts manly. You said yourself, you want to be treated like something special. You have to act like something special to be treated as such. In this gender-neutral society we have become, women have given up their dignity as women, in the name of "equality." Instead of embracing their femininity, they want to compete with men in everything. You can't be "one of the guys' and then expect to be treated like a lady. Chivalry is incompatible with a gender-neutral society.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 01:27 pm
Atavistic wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Atavistic wrote:

I have no desire to be chivalrous toward a woman that sleeps around. I have no desire to be chivalrous towards a woman who acts manly. You said yourself, you want to be treated like something special. You have to act like something special to be treated as such. In this gender-neutral society we have become, women have given up their dignity as women, in the name of "equality." Instead of embracing their femininity, they want to compete with men in everything. You can't be "one of the guys' and then expect to be treated like a lady. Chivalry is incompatible with a gender-neutral society.

Sounds like you're saying that you like women who are weak and vulnerable. I was weak and vulnerable many years ago and because of it, I was abused, so I had to give up that part, but I don't sleep around and I don't act like a guy.
I don't compete with men, but am insulted when I'm told something is a mans job.
I've noticed a huge difference in todays generation of women and I have to agree with you that many of the young women of today are doing lots of sleeping around and are not very feminine.
If I was a guy, this would turn me right off, but I don't see it as being the womans fault.
There was a time, years ago when I use to date, when a guy would expect me to have sex with him after taking me to a fancy restaurant and when I declined, I'd never hear from him again, so did you ever think that maybe our young women of today are simply giving men what they want.
This is what a lot of men wanted and now that they have it, they don't like it.
I was just taking with a guy friend at work about this the other day and he was in agreement with me on this.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 01:41 pm
I want to talk more about this chivalry issue, but don't want to impose on MG's thread, so I started a thread on the subject.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2205301#2205301
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 06:39 pm
Montana wrote:

Sounds like you're saying that you like women who are weak and vulnerable.

This is a common misconception. I don't view women as weak, but it is a fact that generally speaking, women are less strong than men. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but I am speaking in a general sense. My wife by the way, is not weak or vulnerable, but I still feel a deeply ingrained obligation to protect her. She is not weak, but she is not as strong as a man.

Quote:
I don't compete with men, but am insulted when I'm told something is a mans job.

I can understand that, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you are right. Again, generally speaking, women are not physically suited for jobs with hard physical labor, or jobs involving combat. You might not like this fact, but it's still a fact.

Quote:
I've noticed a huge difference in todays generation of women and I have to agree with you that many of the young women of today are doing lots of sleeping around and are not very feminine.
If I was a guy, this would turn me right off

I'm glad we agree on something. Very Happy

Quote:
... but I don't see it as being the womans fault.........
There was a time, years ago when I use to date, when a guy would expect me to have sex with him after taking me to a fancy restaurant and when I declined, I'd never hear from him again, so did you ever think that maybe our young women of today are simply giving men what they want.

Of course there is truth to what you say, but those women are still responsible for their actions. Nobody forced them to give up their values just to appease the guys. I can't speak for all guys, but I never seriously expected a woman to sleep with me on the first date, or simply because I took her to a nice restaurant. Sure when I was 18, I might have liked it, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against the woman for not doing it. If anything, I think most guys lose respect for a woman if she sleeps with him on the first date.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 06:53 pm
GreenWitch wrote:
I love studding history, especially the medieval period

Talk about a classic Freudian Slip. We could go in so many different directions with this one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 07:31 pm
Montana wrote:
Atavistic wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Atavistic wrote:

Sounds like you're saying that you like women who are weak and vulnerable. I was weak and vulnerable many years ago and because of it, I was abused, so I had to give up that part, but I don't sleep around and I don't act like a guy.
If I was a guy, this would turn me right off, but I don't see it as being the womans fault.
I was just taking with a guy friend at work about this the other day and he was in agreement with me on this.

Chivalry was based on the belief that women WERE weak and vulnerable, and the law and attitudes certainly kept us so.

Chivalry was what a few upper class women got instead of basic human rights...like the right to own property, to say no to sex with their husbands, to have a legal existence under the law (quite a recent invention for women, I assure you) etc etc.

I don't give a fabulous flying fukk if chivalry is dead...it was a swindle anyway, though it had some fun aspects, like courtly love....

Courtesy and care between equals is another thing altogether, and I think courtesy is a damn fine thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 08:00 pm
Amen.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:29 pm
dlowan wrote:

Chivalry was based on the belief that women WERE weak and vulnerable, and the law and attitudes certainly kept us so.

I think it is important to put medieval chivalry in it's proper context. Women WERE extremely vulnerable in those times. Everyday life was much more dangerous than in our relatively safe and civilized world today. You couldn't just call the police when some barbarian brute attacked you. Men were untamed and tended to take what they wanted.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:30 pm
dlowan wrote:
Montana wrote:
Atavistic wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Atavistic wrote:

Chivalry was what a few upper class women got instead of basic human rights...like the right to own property, to say no to sex with their husbands, to have a legal existence under the law (quite a recent invention for women, I assure you) etc etc.

I don't give a fabulous flying **** if chivalry is dead...it was a swindle anyway, though it had some fun aspects, like courtly love....

Courtesy and care between equals is another thing altogether, and I think courtesy is a damn fine thing.

I never looked at it that deeply and was just looking at those fun aspects, like the courtly love.

You know me well enough to know that I believe all men and women are equal and deserve to be treated as such.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 10:17 pm
Montana wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Montana wrote:
Atavistic wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Atavistic wrote:

I don't give a fabulous flying **** if chivalry is dead...it was a swindle anyway, though it had some fun aspects, like courtly love....

I never looked at it that deeply and was just looking at those fun aspects, like the courtly love.

You know me well enough to know that I believe all men and women are equal and deserve to be treated as such.

I haven't looked at the whole of the thread Montana.

However, I do have strong beliefs about chivalry, both the historic form, and the odd stuff that is talked about as chivalry today.

My belief is that, those women and men who yearn for chivalry are ACTUALLY yearning for the historical form, and women and men who moan about its loss are well advised to undersatnd its true nature.

If you want "chivalry" then you realistically also want few human rights, an aristocracy where aristocratic women get token crap instead of legal rights, and most women get sweet fuckk all, and less than that in spades, and a position of weakness and the grossest legal inferiority for women.

I suspect you just want certain courtesies that, frankly, repel me Montana, without the reality that gave them birth, because you have not understood it. I may well be wrong, though.

That is fine...but I suggest you look at the history of what you desire and think again.

Atavistic represents exactly this...so look well.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 10:40 pm
I'd choose to live in Vienna,anytime between 1880s and 1920s...although it was a time of turmoil. Or maybe because of that. The market crash, the revolt of a number of national minorities, the federation dreams, the war, the media boom, women rights... bloody exciting times.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 11:34 pm
It's a particularly hard fantasy for me to conjure..."What era would I prefer"? - I guess I'm too rooted in the reality that the chances for my prosperity and even survival are best right here, right now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 11:40 pm
I see your point. I think right now is pretty interesting too.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 03:55 am
dlowan wrote:
Montana wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Montana wrote:
Atavistic wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Atavistic wrote:

I haven't looked at the whole of the thread Montana.

However, I do have strong beliefs about chivalry, both the historic form, and the odd stuff that is talked about as chivalry today.

My belief is that, those women and men who yearn for chivalry are ACTUALLY yearning for the historical form, and women and men who moan about its loss are well advised to undersatnd its true nature.

If you want "chivalry" then you realistically also want few human rights, an aristocracy where aristocratic women get token crap instead of legal rights, and most women get sweet **** all, and less than that in spades, and a position of weakness and the grossest legal inferiority for women.

I suspect you just want certain courtesies that, frankly, repel me Montana, without the reality that gave them birth, because you have not understood it. I may well be wrong, though.

That is fine...but I suggest you look at the history of what you desire and think again.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 04:29 am
I call your rolling eyes and raise you.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Though quite why our differing opinions on a subject leads to exchanges of that unpleasant little emoticon I don't know.

I thought this place was largely about differing opinions.

nemmind.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:13 am
dlowan wrote:

You haven't the slightest clue what I represent since you don't know me. Perhaps your misguided feminism is clouding your mind. You are the exact type I am talking about. You would probably tell Montana that being feminine is some sort of weakness. That she needs to be manly and not let men do anything for her. God forbid, this could lead the man to think he is......superior! Shocked I see this obsessive quest for total equality as a type of pathlogical insecurity. Some people just can't stand the fact that people are different. dlowan, I bet you would support scientifically modifying humans to make them all one sex. Or perhaps you would like to make men capable of child-bearing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:41 am
Atavistic wrote:
dlowan wrote:

You haven't the slightest clue what I represent since you don't know me. Perhaps your misguided feminism is clouding your mind. You are the exact type I am talking about. You would probably tell Montana that being feminine is some sort of weakness. That she needs to be manly and not let men do anything for her. God forbid, this could lead the man to think he is......superior! Shocked I see this obsessive quest for total equality as a type of pathlogical insecurity. Some people just can't stand the fact that people are different. dlowan, I bet you would support scientifically modifying humans to make them all one sex. Or perhaps you would like to make men capable of child-bearing.

Take your stupid projections and move them elsewhere. They represent nothing but your particular set of fears and paranoias.

Your comments here certainly represent something of you, and that matches your name well.

The talk was of chivalry, you said women destroyed it, and I pointed out what a swindle it always was, as you made utterly manifest with your rantings about which women might or might not, in your view, warrant your posturings.

The obsessiveness is yours, as are your ridiculous projections about what you assume I might think. They appear to be the projections of a very insecure man.
0 Replies