HD TV - Any Adopters?

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:05 pm
You say you get HBO and Showtime (correct?) in HD, yet HDTVoice users indicate that there is no Comcast HD service in the area, as does the link to ce.org. Something's not right here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:23 pm
Here's another link about Comcast in our area:

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4490

I say there's no HD on Comcast here.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:38 pm
Here's another county heard from: HD is broadcast over cable here in Orlando, Florida. There are currently 8 HD channels in addition to the 400+ digital channels: the local PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, WB, and one Showtime and one HBO channel, in addition to an extra channel of news from one of the networks.

The picture quality is remarkable, when the camera used is actually HD; for example, the Superbowl was broadcast using HD cameras but not entirely; it was jarring to switch from HD to regular feeds for some of the interviews and replay shots.

The cable company here is Bright House, formerly a licensee of Time Warner.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:51 am
I stand partially corrected. Let me ask this - does the HD feed over cable require any set top decoder box? It must require something because you have to use component video cables to get HD. Obviously, the cable company isn't gonna run monster cable all the way down the street.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 11:54 am
cjh, Like most things in life, we have differing degrees of satisfaction. We're happy with ours, so why are you so determined to downgrade what we enjoy? I will repeat: we are happy with the picture quality of our t.v.. I just don't understand what you're trying to prove! c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 11:56 am
If AT&T Broadband is misrepresenting their HD cable service, you should contact them - for crying out loud! c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:40 pm
HDTV is digital -- it either works or doesn't work. With cable, it has to be fiberoptic or they can't run that much digital signal on convention long lengths of cable. There are also optical boosters along the line of optical cable. The reason regular TV looks better is because of the digital signal. Our Time Warner cable recently started deliverying a digital signal from channels 2 through 13 and the picture is as good as HBO. They also will provide an HDTV box which will upgrade an HDTV ready TV without purchasing the add-on tuner. It has it's own HDTV programming guide and will automatically pick up the HDTV on any channel that is broadcasting both signals unless it's on the same bandwidth. Most cable has opted for seperate channels for the HDTV. It's all digital so the data is either received or not received -- the quality doesn't vary.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:43 pm
Well, the major variance is in rear projection TV which looses up to 20% of the resolution due to scattering of pixels. I think I mentioned that before -- the new rear projection TV's have no "non-glare" surface which makes them hard to see with direct reflection. They still have Fresnal type lenses on the screen to direct the picture in a wider range of viewing area. This is what effects the resolution. A direct view, a plasma, LCD or front projection looses none of the resolution.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 01:36 pm
LW, Is that what AT&T Broadband uses? c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:18 pm
c.i. I'm not trying to "downgrade what you enjoy", rather, I'm trying to determine if in fact you know what you are looking at. It appears that you do. It's a very difficult time to purchase a TV (words from the mouth of a TV salesmen - not me). My expertise lies in HD sets with set top satellite and antenna decoders, not cable. I know more than most salesmen because I've studied HD sets and satellite stuff for quite awhile. I once asked a girl if her store carried any DLP sets. I kid you not she said "What's DLP?".

For those who don't know, it's Digital Light Processing, and it uses a chip made by TI, which generates a signal which is projected via mirrors, like an RPTV. Philips is one manufaturer. The big advantage to these TV's is that they are slim and very light.

I guess what I'm saying is that I pretty much hate cable, but that comes in part from growing up in areas that had really shitty cable companies. I was strictly antenna until about four years ago when I switched to DirecTV.

Thanks to LW for confirming what I thought - there is a set top box required to receive HD signals over digital cable, however, the cable company will provide it for free. That's kewl.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 10:18 am
cjh and LW, Please contact San Jose Mercury News, because in today's paper, first page article, it says, "Comsat set to roll out high-detail TV format" with the sub-title, "COMPANY TO OFFER 800,000 HIGH-DEFINITION SIGNALS." The first sentence: "The Bay Area's largest cable TV provider will begin offering high-defintion programming........" Also, within the article, it claims that satellite is worse, because when it rains or is foggy, the signals can be scrambled. The balls in your court. I'd like to see a copy of your inquiry to the newspaper, please. c.i.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 07:57 pm
That is the situation here in Orlando. We do have a decoder box--the monthly charge is the same for a non-HDTV decoder box, a couple of bucks a month, but when we got ours there was a waiting list --took about a month. Now, they are plugging a new box with TIVO-like features, the ability to record programs in progress on an internal hard drive, or 2 programs at once, with I believe a 40+ hour capacity or more. They are claiming the monthly fee will be nominal, but as of yet are not advertising the actual amount. It will not record HD, but can be used on a High Def set. Or at least thats the information as I recall it....obviously the success of satellite has put some fear into their corporate hearts.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 09:42 am
When it rains heavily, like a T-storm, then you can lose your satellite signal. I'll give you that much. I'll have to seek out a copy of the Murky News. Rarely touch that ragsheet.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 09:43 am
By the way c.i., why are you so evasive as to the technical details of your setup? That was part of my original question.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 09:54 am
Gee, I thought I answered the 'technical' aspect of our set-up; Panasonic HDTV, and AT&T Broadband "Digital Platinum Bonus Service" which includes "Standard Cable, Digital Basic, Encore, STARZ!, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax. The Movie Channel, Premium Multiplexes, Two Digital Receivers, Two Digital Remote Controls, Digital Programming Access Fee for second outlet, and Three Bonus Choice Categories." c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 10:03 am
That's what I'm looking for - thanks c.i. Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:42 pm
c.i. I'm not trying to be a turd, I'm trying to help you. If Comcast is set to roll out some HD feeds, then good for you. I was just thumbing through a copy of Sound & Vision, and they list all of the places where HD is available over cable. The Bay Area isn't one of them, sorry to say.

The only way to get HD here is satellite or OTA. Of course, you could buy one of the new HD VCR's, but where are you going to get content? Definitely not at Blockbuster, those pinheads don't even rent widescreen DVD's.

Do you take S&V, Home Theater, or The Perfect Vision? You might consider it if you don't.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:00 pm
cjh, Hang it up! We're HAPPY with our reception. c.ii.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:11 am
OK, but you have an HD set and aren't displaying anything in HD. You'd be shocked at the difference.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:19 am
For those interested, Dish Network recently introduced their new "SuperDish", a small, 26" eliptical dish with three pickups, which will be capable of receiving up to 50 HD channels in addition to their regular resolution programming.

DirecTV already has had three pickup dishes available from multiple suppliers, buy they still only offer a few HD channels, such as Showtime, HBO, HDNET, ESPN-HD, and DISC-HD.
0 Replies