HD TV - Any Adopters?

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 05:12 pm
Any A2Kers using true HD yet? What's your setup, how much HD programming do you receive, and how?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,161 • Replies: 49
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 06:03 pm
cjh, We live in the same area. All HDTV programs indicate which programs are high definition. I think it's about 15-20 percent of all programs. However, there is a clear advantage to having HDTV, because the other programs also look sharper. c.i.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 06:27 pm
I am soooo close to being there...

The audio went out on my current TV so I have to play everything through teh surround sound system right now. It isn't a big problem but it is an annoyance.

So I've been looking at wide-screen HDTV units. I just haven't found anything that strikes my fancy yet.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:16 pm
fishin, It depends on how fancy you wanna get. The choices are enormous, and varied in sizes and bells and whistles. I'm looking at a 20" flat screen with VCR and disc player combo. The Toshiba looks pretty good, but I'm gonna comb the net to see if I can get it cheaper than the $500 sticker price at Frys. c.i.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:21 pm
Belive me c.i. - I know! lol I've looked at a hunderd or so models. Every time I get the urge to actually buy one they come out with something with more bells and whistles.

I'm looking at something in the 47"-55" range but the picture quality on the smaller CRT units is still a lot better than the projection units. The LCD panels would be the way to go but I'm not willing to pay that kind of money yet.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:37 pm
There are advantages and disadvantages to flat panel t.v.'s. I read someplace that after the t.v. gets a little old, it starts to imprint the image on the screen. We have a 17" LCD in our bedroom, because we have a king size bed in it, and space is at a premium. I'm looking at larger screens even though I know of its faults. We have a 36" Panasonic projection HDTV in our family room. It's a great t.v., and many people have commented about the quality of the picture. When I purchased it, I paid $4 grand for it, but I know the price has come down to about $3 grand. We're happy with it. BTW, there's a method to pick the correct size t.v.; the screen size is determined by how far you'll be sitting back from the t.v. c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:30 am
This TV recently received a great review in The Perfect Vision. TPV is rather odd in that they don't even try to renew your subscription - you have to seek them out. Anyway, I've seen this TV for $1699 at Fry's/Circuit City and these days you can negotiate - throw in the stand and delivery for free - usually they'll go for it.

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=701340&catky=

Any 4:3 format non-HD TV these days is a waste of money, IMO.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:02 pm
cjh, This is the one we have: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005BIDG/qid=1054267181/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/002-9663162-7822424?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282
A refurb one is $2,400. I think I saw new one's sellint at $3,000.
c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:10 am
C.i., what are you using for HD decoding? How many local channels can you get in HD? (I know you are in my area). Do you also have satellite, or still using cable?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:44 am
cjh, It's a HDTV so no decoding is necessary. I noticed that some t.v.'s are "HD ready." I'm not sure what that means. We're still on cable. We looked into satellite, but they charge a buck here and a buck there, and before you're through, it ends up close to $100/month. The 'basic' service runs about $40/month. It's not so much that local channels are on HD; they all come in clear except chan 7 (my wife says the color is off). c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:54 am
No it isn't c.i, it is only "HD ready". I can give you some rather detailed information if you'd like, but you might get angry with me. Cable, for example, offers NO HD content, they are in fact the biggest impediment to the HD industry. Most HD content is actually broadcast and requires a roof UHF antenna. You need an HD decoder to see true HD broadcasts, such as the Sony SAT-HD200. These will set you back about $700, but you can get a cheaper one for around $400.

I have not yet purchased any HD equipment, as I'm waiting for prices to fall and for my current set to completely die, but I've done some detailed research on the subject.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:02 am
And by the way, I have DirecTV, basic service with the addition of local channels (all of them, even ones I can barely recieve on my rather large rooftop antenna). It costs me $39/month. No, I don't get HBO or any of the premium movie channels, and I don't care. There's a Blockbuster on every corner. DirecTV is the absolute best thing going - cable is shaking in their jackets.

The thing about getting your local channels via sattelite is that they are all digital quality - great picture, much better than cable or antenna. Some of them haven't quite got their feed into sattelite perfected yet, but they're still better than the alternative.

Currently there are only about three channels available over sattelite broadcast in HD. HBO, Showtime, and HDNet (Mark Cuban's network, channel 199). ESPN is supposed to go to HD this fall, and a couple others will be added. As I said before, the best true HD content is broadcast over the airwaves and must be picked up via antenna. The Bay Area is supposed to have more HD broadcast than anywhere else in the country - that is why I asked you (c.i.) how much HD you were getting.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:25 am
cjh, Sorry, but you're wrong; We have AT&T Broadband service with "Digital Gold Packag." which includes "Standard Cable & Expanded Basic." c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:38 am
How am I wrong? The TV you linked to is, like most, "HD Ready". It cannot display in 1080i without an HD decoder.

What HD content is AT&T BB offering?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:46 am
By the way c.i., digital cable is not in HD. You've bought that hook, line, and sinker. But you do get high speed Internet access along with your cable.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:47 am
Told ya I'd make you mad.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:53 am
I did a little research on AT&T Broadband and found out they are actually offering some HD content, in some markets, to my surprise. I know very little about this as it is rarely talked about in the high end mags like TPV and Home Theatre. They always use satellite or antenna to get HD feeds. Always.

Anyway, this link shows that as of March 13, there is no HD content being distributed on cable in the Bay Area.

http://www.ce.org/publications/books_references/dtv_guide/listings/HDTV_Broadcasters_March_14_2003.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:58 am
ci, follow this link - I hope it works for you as I am a member of that site. It uses the same base software as A2K but looks a little different. You should sign up for it anyway, since you have an HD Ready TV.

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1636&highlight=at%26t+broadband
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:59 am
cjh, Thanks for the link. All the local stations come in pretty clear with AT&T Broadband. What's more important is that all the movie stations comes in on HD. I don't watch all that much t.v., but my wife does. c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 12:02 pm
Note that OTA in HD lingo means "off the air", and refers to broadcast signals. I find this a misnomer, but that's what it means, I suppose to differentiate from satellite signals.

Again, I'm sure you probably like your high speed Internet connection, but cable, no matter how it's marketed, sucks compared to satellite and a good antenna when it comes to HD.
0 Replies