I once shot a man just for snoring.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:32 pm
Squinney, I'm sure the cubs are cool. I don't usually worry about videos, etc. - still, I fear a culture of violence, not all so much for me, as for them and the community. Usually I don't fear all that re the telly... more from what is happening.

I can get to fearing tv stuff with the deprived kid who only sees this stuff and lives in a kind of isolation. I've lived near the real thing, feel for the kids. Check out murders in Venice in the last while.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:05 am
In other news, CJ's wife calls in firefighters when she's locked in her handcuffs....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:11 am
Quote:
Maybe we don't give them enough credit for knowing whats pretend and what's not.

Good food for thought there, squinney.

Frankly, I was surprised to see toy guns for sale but that is probably just because I have never looked for them.

I have entrusted Mr. B with gun education. He had the same fear I did - of Mo stumbling upon a gun in someone's house and not recognizing it as real. He has a "how to tell the difference" and "what to do if you spot a real gun somewhere" seminar scheduled for this weekend.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 04:42 pm
This thread brings back memories of my pink toy uzi I had when I was seven. Yes it was pink and yes it was an uzi, and made a ratta-tat-tat when I pulled back the trigger. I shot my neighbor as he drove by and he shot me back.

And my parents had guns in the house and we knew not to touch them. But we were actually afraid of our parents and afraid of what they would do to us if we touched the guns. My kids aren't afraid of me. So they're not allowed to have toy guns.

Well, ok, I made them each an old fashioned rubber band gun with a small 2x4 and a clothespin, but that was just to see if I still remembered how to make them. :wink:
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 04:49 pm
I didn't just play with a gun, I played with this:

http://www.smallwiener.com/Images/johnny_seven.jpg

And nowadays, I only occasionally have the impulse to climb up into a tower with a deer rifle.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 05:11 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
I didn't just play with a gun, I played with this:

http://www.smallwiener.com/Images/johnny_seven.jpg

And nowadays, I only occasionally have the impulse to climb up into a tower with a deer rifle.

that's why grand theft auto was invented
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 05:40 pm
I miss the old days, when I could shoot my brother with my trusty Mattel Fanner Fifty and never have to worry what my therapist might think about it 30 years later.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:03 pm
Yeah, I miss those days, too. Wish I could still shoot my brother sometimes.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:54 am
...and the occasional co-worker.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:02 am
When i was just a liddly, Davey Crockett was the big, splashy Disney movie promotion, and my first recollection of visiting a motion picture theater was for that movie--Fess Parker was A GIANT up on the Panavision, Technicolor screen.

I had a "coon-skin" hat, and a flintlock rifle and a flintlock pistol, and i was in seventh heaven. Somewhat later, while playing "cowboys and Indians" i was informed by the other guys that flintlocks could not fire more than once without being reloaded, and therefore, Charlie had "got me" and i was dead. I quickly switched to a cap pistol, and killed many of my little companions with glee. But i always wistfully recalled my flintlocks, and thought it wasn't fair that they not be allowed to fire 235,762 times without reloading, the way six-shooters could . . .
0 Replies