US Bulldozes Iraqi Historic District

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 12:56 pm
Quote:
US Bulldozes Iraqi Historic District

US occupation forces had demolished a thousand-year old historic district dating back to the First Abbasi Period (762-833 C.E.) in the city of al-Qa'im near the Iraq- Syria border, turning it into a soccer field.

A soccer field?!?

1,000-year old historic district bulldozed for a soccer field?!?

But remember, they only hate us because we are free!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 411 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 01:11 pm
Pitiful situation, indeed.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:50 am
Quote:
it was fenced off with signs posted warning against going inside because it was a Historic Islamic Heritage District.

I guess they weren't using it anyway, except to hide insurgents.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 02:35 pm
paull

Quote:
I guess...

Oh great, i love playing guessing games.

Errr, i guess you use tweezers to masterbate...
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:42 pm
I suppose if I used "tweezers" and "masturbate" in close proximity you could guess that.

"fenced off with signs posted warning against going inside", which was posted here, is what got me going. There is a discernable difference to those who can read AND reason.

Here is another one: "It wouldn't surprise me" if the signs were there to keep people from having 1000 year old walls collapse on them.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:10 am
Hey f4f do you remember when the Taliban blew up some old Buddhist statues in 2000? What was your opinion then? Where you just as mad or did you careless because it wasn't the US doing it?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:30 am
Baldimo wrote:
Hey f4f do you remember when the Taliban blew up some old Buddhist statues in 2000? What was your opinion then? Where you just as mad or did you careless because it wasn't the US doing it?

To be honest, it wasn't "some old Buddha statues" but a World Heritage Site, the the world's tallest standing Buddha.

I suppose, everyone who knew about the historic and cultural value (besides the religious importance) protested in the one or other way.

I suppose, you have donated as well as others for the reconstruction/conservation.

The 'football-field'-affair: I remember having read that in some history magazine a couple of months ago. At least, it was the same story ... and I signed a protest against that :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:39 am
I doubt we are hearing the full story in this edited-for-liberal-consumption piece. Perhaps some substantiated links can be found with the rest of the story?

Where's Paul Harvey dammit!?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:16 am
It's on rense.com for crying out loud. The article doesn't even approach the point of needing to be fact-checked until it's hosted by a more reputable site.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:19 am
Ticomaya wrote:
It's on rense.com for crying out loud. The article doesn't even approach the point of needing to be fact-checked until it's hosted by a more reputable site.

There had been some posts about that on some history site some time ago - I'm trying to refind that - where the announcement was posted as well as a resolution to stop it.
0 Replies