Beirut: After Israeli Attacks Biggest Oil Catastrophe

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:17 am
Beirut: After Israeli Attacks Biggest Oil Catastrophe in Mediterranean Sea
Spill of 10,000 tons of fuel oil into the Mediterranean Sea

from Indymedia Beirut - 27.07.2006 02:41

At least 10,000 tons of heavy fuel oil have been spilled into the Lebanese sea, causing an environmental catastrophe with severe effects on health, biodiversity and tourism, environmentalists and the Environment Ministry said Wednesday. 15,000 tons are expected to leak into the Mediterranean from another tank that is still burning. Two weeks ago, Israeli bombs targeted the Jiyye power station, located on the coast 30 kilometers south of Beirut. Part of the oil in storage tanks has been burning ever since and the other part is leaking into the Mediterranean.

Continue to read:
http://beirut.indymedia.org/ar/2006/07/4803.shtml

Pics from the coast around Beirut:
http://beirutupdate.blogspot.com/2006/07/pics-of-environmental-damage-oil-slick.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 475 • Replies: 10
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:10 am
War has always been bad for the ecology and tourism.

Whats your point?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:16 am
Yeah. What's your point? You trying to say you don't enjoy needless human catastrophe?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:26 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Yeah. What's your point? You trying to say you don't enjoy needless human catastrophe?

No,I dont enjoy it.

But,when you are attempting to defeat an armed enemy,you destroy their sources of fuel,you destroy their means of getting resupplied,you destroy their means of moving around.

While is sad,its how war is fought.

If the Lebanese didnt want their infrastructure destroyed,they should have disarmed Hezbollah 6 years ago,like they agreed to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:39 pm
I always thiught you fought the enemy, instead of defenseless civilians in a war.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:55 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I always thiught you fought the enemy, instead of defenseless civilians in a war.

It is sad but the people fighting Israel use the same resources that the civilians use. To deny them to the enemy is to also deny them to the fighting force. Sad but true.

If the people fighting Israel were so worried about civilian deaths then they should leave the areas were the civilians are living and fight like men instead of hiding behind their families like the true chickens they are.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:56 pm
Sure, Baldimo. You are perfectly correct. Excuse me for making such witless comments.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 03:04 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

If Hezbollah was really concerned about fighting the Israeli military,then why are they wasting rockets on civilian areas?

Why are they not using those rockets to destroy the Israeli military?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 11:36 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

What would you suggest they do to fight them?
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 02:35 pm
Quote:
Excuse me for making such witless comments.

May I create a macro for that apology, edgar, so that you can save some keystrokes?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:26 pm
The thing is to make both sides quit fighting, no matter how many international troops have to pour in to accomplish it.
0 Replies