Greens Showing a Little Common Sense

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 07:29 pm
patiodog wrote:
Um, not to quibble, but when exactly were those days of freedom and justice?

You remember, it was just a couple a years ago . . . maybe you was outta town then, huh?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 07:55 pm
NeoGuin - With respect, been there, read that and moved on. FAIR's position seems to be that they don't like the freedom of a private media and so they want government to control all information, as if that would result in a better product. (Where in the world has that been true?)

You might try http://www.mediaresearch.org for an alternate take on the question of media bias.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 08:08 pm
Greens
I watch c-span and Comedy Central.
Let the people speak their own words.
I don't need an interpreter.
On CC, I watch The Daily Show.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:02 pm
Me too, jeanbean. And the comic strips sometimes seem to offer almost the only freedom of choice of expressions.

Back to the Greens, for a moment. A third party needs a legitimate platform and viable candidates. Ross Perot was tempting until he got rather strange. It seems to me that in some ways where we're at with the democratic party right now is sort of like where we're at with the public education system right. Both need some sincere backing and encouragement. Tearing down and crying woe is just not going to do it.

There is an axiom that says "act as if." Maybe that's something we should be thinking about. Acting as if something is happening occasionally takes the form of making it happen.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 02:34 am
SCRAT:

Or is it that they see the media as being too driven by corporate and advertising pressure?

Anyhow, what happens when corporate power becomes so great that they control the government.

I'll show you what I think:

http://www.geocities.com/eradicate_98/New_Patriot/Index.htm
Check Out:

http://www.buzzflash.com

http://www.commondreams.org

http://www.kpfa.org (Real Audio Required)

and

http://www.wbai.org (Real Audio Required)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 05:24 am
"It seems to me that in some ways where we're at with the democratic party right now is sort of like where we're at with the public education system right. Both need some sincere backing and encouragement. Tearing down and crying woe is just not going to do it.

"There is an axiom that says "act as if." Maybe that's something we should be thinking about. Acting as if something is happening occasionally takes the form of making it happen."

Mamajuana: My problem is a total lack of loyalty to institutions, as such. If public schools or the Democratic party aren't working, my view is that children's education and good government are more important than maintaining old tools which once worked very well -- if they aren't working well anymore. In the case of these institutions, I think what will take place is evolution, not revolution. Better schools will evolve if we are unabashedly and intelligently critical; the same with the opposition party. Both institutions are getting the message; they will either change as needed or be changed.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:00 pm
Yep, tartarin, that's what I meant. This act as if thing should be applied not to the holding on of old schedules we have grown beyond, but looking at newer ones and acting on them. We've been down that school and education road often enough. I'm talking here about public institutions that have some basic good, and are for the public, and I think the public should recognize this and then start working with what they have. In schools today, for instance, computers are an accepted tool of the learning experience, and should be taught that way, without ever sacrificing the human brain and its powers. And with the democratic party. There are some good, thinking people, and we should be encouraging and start thinking in a winning way. As with most things, when you think you are a loser, quite often that is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:24 pm
Tartarin wrote:
If public schools or the Democratic party aren't working, my view is that children's education and good government are more important than maintaining old tools which once worked very well -- if they aren't working well anymore. In the case of these institutions, I think what will take place is evolution, not revolution. Better schools will evolve if we are unabashedly and intelligently critical; the same with the opposition party. Both institutions are getting the message; they will either change as needed or be changed.

Excellent comments! Cool
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:37 pm
Mama:

The problem is that one part of the "Thinkers" in the party is to get "Back to basics" and away from trying to get cozier with corporate america.

As for schools--I think there's a problem the the theocrats refuse to look at and too many democrats deny!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:59 pm
Neo - I think we've got lots of problems. But I do believe in the power of positive thinking, and I don't honestly think we've been thinking positively. We will never have a perfect candidate. But there are a number on board now who really aren't half bad. And even half bad beats what we're living with right now. And we have to define "back to basics."

Now, could you expound a little on the last part? That was a provocative sentence about the schools - and sounds interesting.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:30 am
I shall, but not at this time.
0 Replies