we say terrorists kill innocent people...

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:22 am
that's alot like 'an eye for an eye'.

we all know what that leads to. It is a spiral of escalating violence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:26 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
I'd call babies and little kids with their arms and legs blown off innocent.

Yes. So it's kind of obvious that I'm not talking about them. :wink:

I am referring to the people who can vote and who can influence their society, either by ingenuity or sheer numbers. If those people don't give a damn about what happens elswhere in the world, are they innocent?

And we blow as many arms and legs off "innocent" babies and little kids as do the terrorists. (Not that that changes the equation!)

The difference is that we do not target them inentionally. Civilians have been getting killed in wars since wars began, but Islamic and Palestinian terrorists target them specifically. Anyone who does such a thing is deserving of execution for crimes against humanity.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:06 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

I am referring to the people who can vote and who can influence their society, either by ingenuity or sheer numbers. If those people don't give a damn about what happens elswhere in the world, are they innocent?

And we blow as many arms and legs off "innocent" babies and little kids as do the terrorists. (Not that that changes the equation!)

The difference is that we do not target them inentionally. Civilians have been getting killed in wars since wars began, but Islamic and Palestinian terrorists target them specifically. Anyone who does such a thing is deserving of execution for crimes against humanity.

What the fuk are you talking about???

Do you really think dropping a fukin' atom bomb in the middle of a city filled with men, women, children, and babies....WAS NOT INTENTIONAL???
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:28 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

What the fuk are you talking about???

Do you really think dropping a fukin' atom bomb in the middle of a city filled with men, women, children, and babies....WAS NOT INTENTIONAL???

It's a pity that you can't control yourself. It's no virtue in a debate to swear, and argue like a child. Yes, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the only times when we targetted civilians, and it was wrong, but it was also a long, long time ago. You, however used the present tense, and implied that we currently do it regularly:

Quote:
And we blow as many arms and legs off "innocent" babies and little kids as do the terrorists.

Indeed, the truth is that we do not now, as a matter of policy, intentionally target non-combatants, whereas it's pretty much a trademark for the Palestinians, who do it all the time. Apparently the difference between the unintended civilian casualties that have always happened in every war, and the deliberate targetting of non-combatants by the Palestinians is too subtle for you to perceive.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:55 pm
Brandon wrote:
Indeed, the truth is that we do not now, as a matter of policy, intentionally target non-combatants, whereas it's pretty much a trademark for the Palestinians, who do it all the time.

Where does the line go between warrior and non-combatant?

The guy shooting the rifle is a combatant.

What about the guy driving the car he shoots from?
The guy who sent them there in the first place?
The guys who decided it was neccesary?
The people in their network?
The people in interjecting networks?

Where would you draw the line?

A soldier is a combatant. But what about a medic?
I have very strong objections to calling an army medic a non combatant.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 01:17 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Indeed, the truth is that we do not now, as a matter of policy, intentionally target non-combatants, whereas it's pretty much a trademark for the Palestinians, who do it all the time.

When you show up in a marketplace and detonate a nail bomb, or firebomb a school bus, you're a murdering swine - period. Perhaps you're proud of yourself for trying to argue that such acts are understandable, but I wouldn't be.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 02:11 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's a pity that you can't control yourself.

I can control myself. It is a pity you cannot think.

Quote:

It's no virtue in a debate to swear, and argue like a child.

Bite me!

Quote:
Yes, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the only times when we targetted civilians, and it was wrong, but it was also a long, long time ago.

Do the names Dresden and Tokyo mean anything to you??? We fire bombed both cities while they were filled with "innocent" civilians. And we targeted many, many other cities also.

Wake the hell up.

Killing innocents...ON PURPOSE...is a part of war...and we have engaged in it regularly.

Quote:
You, however used the present tense, and implied that we currently do it regularly:

Gimme a fukin' break, will ya. We kill innocents over in Iraq all the goddam time.

Wake up!

Quote:
Quote:
And we blow as many arms and legs off "innocent" babies and little kids as do the terrorists.

Indeed, the truth is that we do not now, as a matter of policy, intentionally target non-combatants, whereas it's pretty much a trademark for the Palestinians, who do it all the time. Apparently the difference between the unintended civilian casualties that have always happened in every war, and the deliberate targetting of non-combatants by the Palestinians is too subtle for you to perceive.

Oh horseshyt.

I am as appalled by what some extremists do in this world as you are...and my indignation is every bit as great. But I don't post bullshyt trying to pretend that this kind of conduct is limited to "Palestinians" as you put it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 02:36 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's a pity that you can't control yourself.

I can control myself. It is a pity you cannot think.

Quote:

It's no virtue in a debate to swear, and argue like a child.

Bite me!

Quote:
Yes, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the only times when we targetted civilians, and it was wrong, but it was also a long, long time ago.

Do the names Dresden and Tokyo mean anything to you??? We fire bombed both cities while they were filled with "innocent" civilians. And we targeted many, many other cities also.

Wake the hell up.

Killing innocents...ON PURPOSE...is a part of war...and we have engaged in it regularly.

Quote:
You, however used the present tense, and implied that we currently do it regularly:

Gimme a fukin' break, will ya. We kill innocents over in Iraq all the goddam time.

Wake up!

Quote:
Quote:

Oh horseshyt.

I am as appalled by what some extremists do in this world as you are...and my indignation is every bit as great. But I don't post bullshyt trying to pretend that this kind of conduct is limited to "Palestinians" as you put it.

Well, if you're okay with your childish behavior then proceed. I'm sure it gives your case a lot more credibility.

No, in fact we do not now deliberately target non-combatants as the intended victims of an attack. If you disagree, just give me one counter-example, and don't give me something from decades ago. The Palestinians and the various Islamic terrorists, on the other hand, do it very frequently.

Even if you manage to find one or two cases in modern times, and I'm waiting for you to find even one, they do it all the time. It's their trademark. I know you hate America, but you don't have the facts on your side.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Well, if you're okay with your childish behavior then proceed. I'm sure it gives your case a lot more credibility.

Thank you. I will...and, like you, I'm sure it does.

Quote:
No, in fact we do not now deliberately target non-combatants as the intended victims of an attack. If you disagree, just give me one counter-example, and don't give me something from decades ago. The Palestinians and the various Islamic terrorists, on the other hand, do it very frequently.

Re-read what I've written so far...and do it this time with your head outside your ass.

If we deliberately target an area where there are non-combatants (AND WE HAVE TO TARGET AREAS WHERE THERE ARE NON-COMBATANTS, FOR CRISSAKE)...

...we are deliberately targeting non-combatants.

If you are saying that we do NOT deliberately target areas where there are non-combatants...re-read the sentence dealing with where your head should be (or should not be) while reading and posting.

Quote:
Even if you manage to find one or two cases in modern times

Ahhh...so World War II is not "modern times" for you.

Jeez, the price one pays for engaging children in conversation.

Quote:
..., and I'm waiting for you to find even one, they do it all the time. It's their trademark.

Stop waiting. I've already done it. You musta been sleeping.

Quote:
I know you hate America...

Yeah, you phony patriots on the lunatic right fringe always think people who don't knee-jerk toe the conservative line must "hate America."

You bunch of pathetic hypocrites get off on that.

Fact is, I love my country...and the rest of humanity....every bit as much as you guys pretend to do so.

One of the reasons I want so much to have you people relegated back to the sewers where you belong, as a matter of fact, is because I love my country and want to stop it being soiled by the lunatic right fringe.

Quote:
... but you don't have the facts on your side.

The facts are on my side...even if you are too close minded to recognize it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:11 pm
Like Frank, I, too, love America. Perhaps more than most people do. Which is precisely why I abhor, detest and hate the current administration in Washington. Talk about un-American. You've just described Cheney and half of Bush's cabinet. These dudes have made the country I love look like something which it isn't meant to be and was never meant to be -- an aggressive, slobbering bully, an imperialist superpower, ready to step on anyone that gets in its way. That isn't America. That's the Bush vision of America.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:18 pm
brandon wrote:
When you show up in a marketplace and detonate a nail bomb, or firebomb a school bus, you're a murdering swine - period. Perhaps you're proud of yourself for trying to argue that such acts are understandable, but I wouldn't be.

I think you're too emotional about the issue to have an open mind on it.

I'm saying that these acts, in all their horror, are provoked by something. No one blows himself up on a whim.
What makes a suicidebomber so angry that he goes such extremes?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:05 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

It's a given in labelling humanity that no term is an absolute. There is not just Black and White, there is a whole gray spectrum in between.
Combatant and non-combatant are terms that 'suffer' from this as well.
There is no clear line dividing combatants from no-combatants for whole groups of people.
For instance the medics. Non-Combatants? Aye. They are there on the battlefield trying to alleviate pain and misery, and do not participate in fights. Combatants? They are enlisted in the army, and largely through their efforts soldiers otherwise disabled can fight again.
But even if we COULD clearly seperate the jobs into combatant and non-combatant, this does NOT necessarily mean it applies to any given situation. Say someone bombs a pub which is a known recreational spot for soldiers of duty. Are those soldiers that die in the attack combatants? Or non-combatants?

Targetting civilians in a war is a most regrettable, but very effective, tactic. Spread enough terror, threaten with more, and panic will simply paralyze regions economically and socially. Since it's effective, it will always be used. It's laudable to try and control this by making international rules, but it's ultimately useless, since it's not in the advantage of the most powerfull to limit their options.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:54 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Re-read what I've written so far...and do it this time with your head outside your ass.

If we deliberately target an area where there are non-combatants (AND WE HAVE TO TARGET AREAS WHERE THERE ARE NON-COMBATANTS, FOR CRISSAKE)...

...we are deliberately targeting non-combatants.

If you are saying that we do NOT deliberately target areas where there are non-combatants...re-read the sentence dealing with where your head should be (or should not be) while reading and posting.

Every army in every large war in history has targeted areas that may contain non-combatants. The Palestinian representatives aim at the non-combatants as the primary intended target. The former is common to all nations and wars, the latter is the act of murdering swine.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
..., and I'm waiting for you to find even one, they do it all the time. It's their trademark.

Stop waiting. I've already done it. You musta been sleeping.

Okay, let's say I was sleeping. Please remind me of this alleged example of a time during the past 20 years when the US has ordered the deliberate targetting of non-combatants as the primary intended target. The Palestinians do it constantly.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:56 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
brandon wrote:

I'm saying that these acts, in all their horror, are provoked by something. No one blows himself up on a whim.

What makes a serial killer so angry that he murders people? My primary concern is to take out the trash, not to analyze it. That is, at most, a lesser concern.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:57 pm
najmelliw wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:

It's a given in labelling humanity that no term is an absolute. There is not just Black and White, there is a whole gray spectrum in between.
Combatant and non-combatant are terms that 'suffer' from this as well.
There is no clear line dividing combatants from no-combatants for whole groups of people.
For instance the medics. Non-Combatants? Aye. They are there on the battlefield trying to alleviate pain and misery, and do not participate in fights. Combatants? They are enlisted in the army, and largely through their efforts soldiers otherwise disabled can fight again.
But even if we COULD clearly seperate the jobs into combatant and non-combatant, this does NOT necessarily mean it applies to any given situation. Say someone bombs a pub which is a known recreational spot for soldiers of duty. Are those soldiers that die in the attack combatants? Or non-combatants?

Targetting civilians in a war is a most regrettable, but very effective, tactic. Spread enough terror, threaten with more, and panic will simply paralyze regions economically and socially. Since it's effective, it will always be used. It's laudable to try and control this by making international rules, but it's ultimately useless, since it's not in the advantage of the most powerfull to limit their options.

I'm just saying that it's not to be confused morally with the universal practice of unintentionally killing civilians in a war zone.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:55 pm
I gotta agree with Brandon on these points. Makes alot of sense Brandon.

I think you get your points across quite well.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:00 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
brandon wrote:

What makes a serial killer so angry that he murders people? My primary concern is to take out the trash, not to analyze it. That is, at most, a lesser concern.

Is anger the only reason a suicide bomber might murder people?

How about virgins in paradise and a handsome stash of loot left for the family? You speak as though anger is the only reason they do this.

Do you know what $30,000 is to the average Palestinian family?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:27 am
Anger isn't the only reason someone might kill someone else.

And I'd like to point out that I do not agree with suicide bombing and whatnot... however...

A while ago, Christians killed thousands and thousands of people to "save" them from eternal damnation. I can't really see any difference between them and the terrorists today.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 02:07 am
Bartikus wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
brandon wrote:

Is anger the only reason a suicide bomber might murder people?

How about virgins in paradise and a handsome stash of loot left for the family? You speak as though anger is the only reason they do this.

Do you know what $30,000 is to the average Palestinian family?

No, that's what the other guy said. I was just answering him.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 03:40 am
Even with millitary operations, I doubt whether the deaths of civilians are as unintentional as they are often portrayed. See my previous post.
Wars can be fought with only minimal civilian death. The moment weapons are deployed which deliver damage to large areas, and the targets hold concentrations of civilians, it becomes obvious civilians will be hurt or killed. Knowing this, and performing the operation regardless, implies IMHO the deaths cannot be called unintentional.
That is not to say this is on par with terrorists firebombing busses with school children of course.

Somebody mentioned that 'a handsome stash of loot' could be considered a reason for terrorists to do what they do. This sounds quite cynical and subjective. I'd say that if someone decides to blow himself up in a suicide attack, he'd want his family provided for at least. After all, he is bound to leave the family with one provider less.
Virgins in paradise? Yes, religious motivations are there as well. But then again, if those were lacking, it's highly doubtful they would get ANYONE to do these things.
0 Replies