we say terrorists kill innocent people...

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:24 pm
oralloy wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
If the US government knew that the bombs could destroy everything within miles of its main target, and it knew that innocent people resided there…and the target was to level such area, knowing that it would destroy everything in the path of the explosions, the mission was to destroy everything within the rage of the bombs…which included civilians.

Balderdash!

Straw-man maker...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:36 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
If the US government knew that the bombs could destroy everything within miles of its main target, and it knew that innocent people resided there…and the target was to level such area, knowing that it would destroy everything in the path of the explosions, the mission was to destroy everything within the rage of the bombs…which included civilians.

Balderdash!

Straw-man maker...

Liar.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:34 pm
oralloy wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:

Balderdash!

Straw-man maker...

Liar.

If not, is it time for your pills?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
They could have just as easily shown Japan the power of the bomb by dropping it on say mount Fuji
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:15 pm
najmelliw wrote:
They could have just as easily shown Japan the power of the bomb by dropping it on say mount Fuji

Would that have demonstrated the bombs' power more effectively than the actual destruction of cities?

Would that have demonstrated the bombs' power as effectively than the actual destruction of cities?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:29 pm
oralloy wrote:
najmelliw wrote:

Would that have demonstrated the bombs' power more effectively than the actual destruction of cities?

Would that have demonstrated the bombs' power as effectively than the actual destruction of cities?

Let's see if you know anything about this matter...

how many A-bombs did the US drop in Japan?

How many A-bombs did the US actually had?

And why didn't Japan surrender when the US dropped the first bomb?

Let's see if you're not just BSing your way up to a good argument.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:29 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
oralloy wrote:
najmelliw wrote:

I have long ago established that I know much on this matter, and feel no need to jump through hoops at the request of someone who has already demonstrated profound ignorance and dishonesty in their posts about the subject.

My questions were directed at najmelliw.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:51 am
oralloy wrote:
najmelliw wrote:

Mount Fuji is a holy place to the Japanese. It is intrically entwined with the religion of Shintoism, which was up until that year the State Religion. Not just that, Shintoism was also the foundation of the power of the emperor, in so far that it clearly states that the emperor is divine by nature.
Striking at the core of this religion with such a powerful weapon would undoubtedly have demoralized vast quantities of Japanese soldiers, while,
at the same time, questioning the might of their millitary leader in name, the emperor.

Satisfied?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 05:44 am
oralloy wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
oralloy wrote:
najmelliw wrote:

I have long ago established that I know much on this matter, and feel no need to jump through hoops at the request of someone who has already demonstrated profound ignorance and dishonesty in their posts about the subject.

oralloy wrote:

You have established that you're capable of producing various numbers of straw-man arguments that you consider convincing.

Since you claim to posses a high degree of historical knowledge, you would have had no problems in answering those questions, instead of neglecting them completely…which is enough evidence that demonstrates your ignorance and dishonesty toward this argument (as you can see, I use the word "ignorance" and "dishonesty" properly, opposed to the collection of desperate nonsense you wrote above.)

oralloy wrote:

Learn how to take criticism from others…
This is an online forum and I have the right to answer and ask anybody any question, as long as such question remains within the scope of the argument.

And by the way, my questions were directed to YOU.

PS: grow up.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:18 pm
najmelliw wrote:
oralloy wrote:
najmelliw wrote:

Mount Fuji is a holy place to the Japanese. It is intrically entwined with the religion of Shintoism, which was up until that year the State Religion. Not just that, Shintoism was also the foundation of the power of the emperor, in so far that it clearly states that the emperor is divine by nature.
Striking at the core of this religion with such a powerful weapon would undoubtedly have demoralized vast quantities of Japanese soldiers, while,
at the same time, questioning the might of their millitary leader in name, the emperor.

Satisfied?

I was asking more about what on the mountain could be destroyed by the bomb to demonstrate its power.

Are you suggesting the bomb be dropped at a lower altitude where there is a forest so the felled trees would testify to its power?

If so, what would prevent the Japanese military from securing the area from the public and then denying the scale of the destruction?

If the bomb were dropped at an altitude where there was only snow, the effects of the bomb would only be a few inches of melted snow. That would be unlikely to impress anyone.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:59 pm
I found the definition of terrorism oralloy had posted earlier quite interesting:

Quote:
"Terrorism is an anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action, employed by (semi-) clandestine individual, group or state actors, for idiosyncratic, criminal or political reasons, whereby - in contrast to assassination - the direct targets of violence are not the main targets. The immediate human victims of violence are generally chosen randomly (targets of opportunity) or selectively (representative or symbolic targets) from a target population, and serve as message generators. Threat- and violence-based communication processes between terrorist (organization), (imperilled) victims, and main targets are used to manipulate the main target (audience(s)), turning it into a target of terror, a target of demands, or a target of attention, depending on whether intimidation, coercion, or propaganda is primarily sought".

Now, re Hiroshima and Nagasaki, you said this:

oralloy wrote:
And more to the point, the primary goal was not to knock out those targets. The primary goal was to show Japan the power of the bombs. That required using the bomb on a large target.

and:

oralloy wrote:
Overall, the purpose was to shock the Japanese government with the huge power of the bomb and thus scare them into surrendering.

I you really believe that and think that the definition of terrorism you posted earlier is fairly accurate, I'd think you have to concede that the dropping of the a-bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki equals terrorism.

Let's have another look at the definition (and let me shorten it down a bit so I can show you what I'm talking about):

Terrorism is an anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action, employed by state actors for political reasons, whereby the direct targets of violence are not the main targets. The immediate human victims of violence are chosen randomly from a target population, and serve as message generators. Threat- and violence-based communication processes between terrorist organization, victims, and main targets are used to manipulate the main target audience, turning it into a target of terror.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:55 pm
old europe wrote:
I found the definition of terrorism oralloy had posted earlier quite interesting:

Quote:
"Terrorism is an anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action, employed by (semi-) clandestine individual, group or state actors, for idiosyncratic, criminal or political reasons, whereby - in contrast to assassination - the direct targets of violence are not the main targets. The immediate human victims of violence are generally chosen randomly (targets of opportunity) or selectively (representative or symbolic targets) from a target population, and serve as message generators. Threat- and violence-based communication processes between terrorist (organization), (imperilled) victims, and main targets are used to manipulate the main target (audience(s)), turning it into a target of terror, a target of demands, or a target of attention, depending on whether intimidation, coercion, or propaganda is primarily sought".

Now, re Hiroshima and Nagasaki, you said this:

oralloy wrote:
And more to the point, the primary goal was not to knock out those targets. The primary goal was to show Japan the power of the bombs. That required using the bomb on a large target.

and:

oralloy wrote:
Overall, the purpose was to shock the Japanese government with the huge power of the bomb and thus scare them into surrendering.

I you really believe that and think that the definition of terrorism you posted earlier is fairly accurate, I'd think you have to concede that the dropping of the a-bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki equals terrorism.

Note that the UN's definition refers to acts carried out by clandestine or semi-clandestine personnel. It doesn't refer to an overt military attack.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 10:20 pm
oralloy wrote:
Note that the UN's definition refers to acts carried out by clandestine or semi-clandestine personnel. It doesn't refer to an overt military attack.

Yes, the definition refers to clandestine or semi-clandestine state actors (among others). Now, given the secrecy of the Manhattan Project and the missions of the bomber crews who delivered the a-bombs, and given the fact that the existence of a device like a nuclear bomb was unknown at that point and that the USA did not announce its intentions to drop the bomb to Japan, an argument could be made that the attack involved indeed semi-clandestine state actors.

Apart from that, the rest of the definition still applies:

- it was an anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action
- it was employed by state actors for political reasons
- the direct targets of violence were not the main targets
- immediate human victims of the violence were chosen randomly
- the victims served as message generators to manipulate the target audience

But I'll concede that the attack should maybe rather be characterized as a war crime than as an act of terrorism.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:01 am
oralloy wrote:
najmelliw wrote:
oralloy wrote:
najmelliw wrote:

Satisfied?

I was asking more about what on the mountain could be destroyed by the bomb to demonstrate its power.

Are you suggesting the bomb be dropped at a lower altitude where there is a forest so the felled trees would testify to its power?

If so, what would prevent the Japanese military from securing the area from the public and then denying the scale of the destruction?

If the bomb were dropped at an altitude where there was only snow, the effects of the bomb would only be a few inches of melted snow. That would be unlikely to impress anyone.

There are shrines on the mountain, which would be destroyed. I very much doubt the destruction of the Abomb on a mountain would result in merely a few inches of metled snow, oralloy. Not if you consider the devastating effect on the cities. Anyways, the impact of an atomic bomb is clearly visible for anyony surrounding it. Warding of the mountain with soldiers in order to prevent civilians from approaching it, would in itself be a powerful statement that something terrible had happened.
Not just that, but the American government could easily point out to the Japanese that they had more bombs of that type, and would not be shy to use the next batch on cities if surrender was not discussed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:54 am
old europe wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Yes, the definition refers to clandestine or semi-clandestine state actors (among others). Now, given the secrecy of the Manhattan Project and the missions of the bomber crews who delivered the a-bombs, and given the fact that the existence of a device like a nuclear bomb was unknown at that point and that the USA did not announce its intentions to drop the bomb to Japan, an argument could be made that the attack involved indeed semi-clandestine state actors.

I don't think a large (for its time) warplane would count as clandestine.

old europe wrote:
Apart from that, the rest of the definition still applies:

- immediate human victims of the violence were chosen randomly

They weren't chosen randomly. We intentionally chose Hiroshima for its concentration of military activity. We chose the outskirts of Nagasaki because of the concentration of war industries there.

Also, I don't think the definition was thinking of "attacks on soldiers and arms factories" when it talked of victims.

old europe wrote:
But I'll concede that the attack should maybe rather be characterized as a war crime than as an act of terrorism.

Yes. Indiscriminate bombing in a population center is a war crime.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:55 am
najmelliw wrote:
There are shrines on the mountain, which would be destroyed.

Were any of them several miles in diameter to show the destructive power of the bomb?

najmelliw wrote:
I very much doubt the destruction of the Abomb on a mountain would result in merely a few inches of metled snow, oralloy. Not if you consider the devastating effect on the cities.

Why? What else is it going to do to the snow?

najmelliw wrote:
Anyways, the impact of an atomic bomb is clearly visible for anyony surrounding it.

What would they see? A bright flash and a distant explosion?

najmelliw wrote:
Warding of the mountain with soldiers in order to prevent civilians from approaching it, would in itself be a powerful statement that something terrible had happened.

But it would allow the true scale of the destruction to be kept secret.

If your proposal was to set it off on the part with no trees, there would be no need for any secrecy though. A little bit of melted snow wouldn't be all that impressive, if it were even noticeable.

najmelliw wrote:
Not just that, but the American government could easily point out to the Japanese that they had more bombs of that type, and would not be shy to use the next batch on cities if surrender was not discussed.

I'm not sure how that alters the effectiveness of Mount Fuji at demonstrating the power of the bomb.

Anyway, that is exactly what we told them after the Hiroshima bombing.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 04:35 am
old europe wrote:

...and that the USA did not announce its intentions to drop the bomb to Japan...

Just for the record, the US sort of announced its intentions, although not the methods, in the Potsdam Declaration.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 05:11 am
oralloy wrote:
I don't think a large (for its time) warplane would count as clandestine.

I guess that depends on your perspective. At the time of the attack, it was unknown that a nuclear bomb existed. The Manhattan Project had been kept secret. Nobody could have anticipated what the bomber was carrying, or that a single airplane could pose a danger for a city the size of Hiroshima anyway. Eyewitnesses which had seen the plane later mentioned that they had assumed it was a reconnaissance aircraft. The United States had not warned Japan about the attack, and the population was completely unaware of the risk of an attack (unlike in Dresden, for example).

Saying the warplane was not clandestine would almost amount to saying that a suicide bomber on a bus doesn't count as clandestine, because, after all, people would have seen him board the bus and could therefore anticipate an attack.

Only the circumstance that the attack occured while the USA was officially at war with Japan makes it a war crime rather than a terrorist attack.

oralloy wrote:
Also, I don't think the definition was thinking of "attacks on soldiers and arms factories" when it talked of victims.

That would be an interesting question. In that case, the attack on the USS Cole would obviously not count as a terrorist attack, but rather as a military operation.

However, the difference is of course, as you already mentioned, that striking military facilities was in no way the prime target of the attacks. The primary target was terrorizing Japan into an unconditional surrender, and the USA willingly accepted that a far greater number of civilians than of military personnel would be killed in the attack. The point about the unconditional surrender is important, as diplomatic approaches at that time had shown that Japan would have been willing to discuss a surrender, but on the condition of the retention of the institution of the emperor.

It can therefore be said that the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki served exclusively political reasons.

Ironically, the US later agreed that Japan could retain the monarchy.

oralloy wrote:
Yes. Indiscriminate bombing in a population center is a war crime.

We are in agreement there.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 05:20 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:

...and that the USA did not announce its intentions to drop the bomb to Japan...

Just for the record, the US sort of announced its intentions, although not the methods, in the Potsdam Declaration.

Yes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 04:23 pm
old europe wrote:
The United States had not warned Japan about the attack, and the population was completely unaware of the risk of an attack (unlike in Dresden, for example).

Quote:
From: https://www.cia.gov/csi/studies/vol46no3/article07.html

https://www.cia.gov/csi/studies/vol46no3/graphics/Graphic4front.jpg

Front side of OWI notice #2106, dubbed the "LeMay bombing leaflet," which was delivered to Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and 33 other Japanese cities on 1 August 1945. The Japanese text on the reverse side of the leaflet carried the following warning: "Read this carefully as it may save your life or the life of a relative or friend. In the next few days, some or all of the cities named on the reverse side will be destroyed by American bombs. These cities contain military installations and workshops or factories which produce military goods. We are determined to destroy all of the tools of the military clique which they are using to prolong this useless war. But, unfortunately, bombs have no eyes. So, in accordance with America's humanitarian policies, the American Air Force, which does not wish to injure innocent people, now gives you warning to evacuate the cities named and save your lives. America is not fighting the Japanese people but is fighting the military clique which has enslaved the Japanese people. The peace which America will bring will free the people from the oppression of the military clique and mean the emergence of a new and better Japan. You can restore peace by demanding new and good leaders who will end the war. We cannot promise that only these cities will be among those attacked but some or all of them will be, so heed this warning and evacuate these cities immediately." (See Richard S. R. Hubert, "The OWI Saipan Operation," Official Report to US Information Service, Washington, DC 1946.)

old europe wrote:
oralloy wrote:

That would be an interesting question. In that case, the attack on the USS Cole would obviously not count as a terrorist attack, but rather as a military operation.

Yes, but a military operation carried out by unlawful (no uniform) combatants.

old europe wrote:
However, the difference is of course, as you already mentioned, that striking military facilities was in no way the prime target of the attacks. The primary target was terrorizing Japan into an unconditional surrender, and the USA willingly accepted that a far greater number of civilians than of military personnel would be killed in the attack. The point about the unconditional surrender is important, as diplomatic approaches at that time had shown that Japan would have been willing to discuss a surrender, but on the condition of the retention of the institution of the emperor.

The military faction of Japan's government was insisting that the surrender terms include:

a) No occupation of Japan

b) Japan be in charge of standing down their troops and bringing them home

c) Japan be in control of any war crimes trials for Japanese soldiers or officials.

They only backed down when the Emperor ordered them to on August 10.

old europe wrote:
Ironically, the US later agreed that Japan could retain the monarchy.

Yes, but without the guarantee that the Japanese were asking for in the surrender terms.
0 Replies