Do You Have Celebrity Exhaustion?

Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
Victoria (Adams) Beckham
plainoldme wrote:
material girl wrote:
Haha, cant say Ive looked at her enough to notice.Both her and hubby are Z list in my opinion.Cant see it lasting!

I had to refer to her as the former Posh Spice because I don't know her real name . . . or if she has one!

Victoria (Adams) Beckham...married to soccer phenom David Beckham
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:53 am
oops...a few more
Spike Lee

Jack Nicholson
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:06 am
ragman -- Nicolson really needs to not pretend he is still a leading man and play character roles.

material girl -- A local television station once did an "expose" on facials for teens, based on a psychologist's claim that having facials was forcing kids to grow up too fast. So, they interviewed a 14 y/o girl and a 13 y/o boy who liked facials and their moms. The girl's mother said the facials were something they could do together and was a bonding thing, while the boy's mom said it helped teach him about hygiene and grooming (he probably had skid marks on his underwear just weeks ago!). The kids said the facials cleared up their acne.

The reason I wrote this was in response to your comment about someone writing that the Spice Girls are responsible for teen pregnancy. This is just part of the -- if I may coin a word -- the celebritizing process. Someone, like the psychologist I cited above, thinks he isn't getting enough attention and so he says something to draw attention to him. Idiocy!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:21 am
Oh! C'mon Jack!
plainoldme wrote:
ragman -- Nicholson really needs to not pretend he is still a leading man and play character roles.

A perfect example of that over-exposure (both literally and figuratively) is with Nicholson in the movie "Something's Gotta Give" with Keaton. Thje same applies to Keaton, BTW. Oh! C'mon Jack!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:29 am
I pretty much ignore celeb-news at the moment. I am not interested in any of them, with one exception (because they are not generally all over the news and mostly keep quite private) - Sandra Bullock and Jessie James. I am quite charmed by their relationship. I have long been a Sandy fan and just think she is a person I would personally like to know, and I was charmed by Jessie speaking of her once on a show (can't remember what it was) and I realized he genuinely loved her and I loved him for that. Of course I wouldn't want too much exposure or news of them. A tid-bit here and there is fine. I can't think of anyone else that interests me in the slightest.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 09:26 am
Tara Palmer Tompkinson! So she messed up her nose by shovelling too much charly up it, so what, we supposed to feel sorry for her?

x
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 10:40 am
Tom Cruise.

He is insane. Really a great example of celebrity status taken to its full out conclusion. It's time for him to go away.

I avoid celebs as much as possible. So, anyone who gets enough exposure to be a celeb I would like 'to go away'. Some are much more tolerable than others though.

Who else should cease to exist:

Nicole Kidman

Avril Lavigne

John Travolta (let's add ALL Scientologists)

Oprah - I don't mind her, but her face is on everything now! I want to walk in a world without seeing the same faces over and over again.

Rachel Ray - what is up with that? She sucks and is annoying even to see once.

Oh yeah, that Dakota Fanning thing. She freaks me out. Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm
Amen to ALL that ... and a few more
flushd wrote:
Tom Cruise.

He is insane. Really a great example of celebrity status taken to its full out conclusion. It's time for him to go away.

I avoid celebs as much as possible. So, anyone who gets enough exposure to be a celeb I would like 'to go away'. Some are much more tolerable than others though.

Who else should cease to exist:

Nicole Kidman

Avril Lavigne

John Travolta (let's add ALL Scientologists)

Oprah - I don't mind her, but her face is on everything now! I want to walk in a world without seeing the same faces over and over again.

Rachel Ray - what is up with that? She sucks and is annoying even to see once.

Oh yeah, that Dakota Fanning thing. She freaks me out. Laughing

You got that ALL right.

Scientologist celebs give me a rash! So preachy and so holier-than-thou!

BTW, Rachel Ray (more perky than Mary-Lou Retton (sp?)) originated from up here in upstate NY. I'll tell you that If I were an up-and-coming media-type, I would want HER publicity agent. Man! Isn't she EVERYwhere? If people haven't heard of her yet, they WILL very soon. She's going full-time daily (I think) with her new talk-show around Sept 15th. At first, I thought I was neutral about her. Now I gotta flip the flipper as soon as I see her.

Afew more:

Tony Danza - no more need being said here.

Nicole Kidman (the celeb ... not the actor) I'm not neutral about her TV over-exposure anymore. She's a good actor, but she's banned from my viewing unless she's in a decent movie.

Oprah - way over-exposed (and her friend Gail King and anything about their relationship)

John Travolta - exactly what you said about Tom Cruise applies here.

Did anyone mention Mel Gibson yet? Oh..he's the king of get-out-of-my-life both as an actor and a celeb and a civilian.

Charlie Sheen - badboys are boring when they self-destruct again and again...ad nauseum.

Oh...yeah... Nicolas Cage. I liked him in movies like 'Raising Arizona' and some comedies like 'Moonstruck' and a few more up until about 1999. Now his shelf life has ended for me - big time. Not sure his acting is anything more than luke-warm anyhow.

Some people might disagree with this but someone who DOESN'T belong on this list of overexposed (yet) is Ellen DeGeneres. somehwo she coems across to me as genuine and interesting and three-dimensional.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:15 pm
Laughing Hear, hear! Good stuff, ragman.

Tony Danza - no more needs to be said. <<<that made me laugh out loud.
Too true.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:23 pm
most young stars, lindsay lohan finally got her ass handed to her by the producer of her new movie, telling her take the job more seriuosly, stopp partying, show up on time or look for another job, that man is my hero, self absorbed stars need a good kick every now and then
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:30 am
Ragman wrote

Quote:
Scientologist celebs give me a rash! So preachy and so holier-than-thou!

Don't forget those pesky Kabbahlaists or whatever their called.

£20 for a bit of red string to tie round your wrist? Do me a favour.

x
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 04:27 am
mel gibson
Quote:
Did anyone mention Mel Gibson yet? Oh..he's the king of get-out-of-my-life both as an actor and a celeb and a civilian.

oh man...never thought my earlier comment on Mel Gibson was going to be prophetic (no pun intended)
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:44 am
Kerry Katona's new heartache / drug shame / boyfriend / engagement party / cheap dress / custody battle / boob op.....

anyone??? No????

x
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:54 am
I agree with the Scientologist/Kabbalists as overload. Who cares???!!!

Ragman -- I agree with you that Ellen DeGeneris does seem like a real person. Saw her on Letterman and she came across as simply nice. Rachel Draitch from SNL also comes across as nice in an interview. She's from Lexington, the next town over and is sometimes sited in the Walden Books there.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:56 am
What about politicians as celebrities? This is nothing new: during the English Renaissance, people wore lockets with the portrait of Liz I. While television increased their visibility, politicians in this country were always the source of hero worship as well as hatred.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:16 am
yes, i have celebrity exhaustion. i need more reality shows. Rolling Eyes

seriously, i hate celebrity reality shows, like Celebrity Poker Showdown. Razz
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:24 am
yitwal -- When I worked at WBUR (public radio station in Boston) as a temp in traffic, I remember putting the schedules into the engineers' room at the end of the day and hearing the guys -- off beat, young, educated, intellectual -- asking each other if any had ever watched Survivor. None had. I remarked that I accidentally saw a bit of while trying to find the program Whose Line is it Anyway?

They wanted to know what I thought about it. I said that I had seen men and women "challenged" with the task of moving mud from one place to another, using their bodies. They covered their hair with mud, stuffed it down their bathing suits, slathered it on their arms and legs.

What has that to do with survival and what was it other than sexual titillation and personal degradation? Nothing.

A couple of years later, the dumdums I worked with at a large retail store were all chomping at the bit to discuss this crap on the retail floor. What do customers think of that?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:38 am
good help is hard to find? on the other hand, if a customer is a regular viewer of the show being discussed, he or she might feel right at home. only reality show i've watched much is the apprentice, in which the contestants are supposedly successful entrepreneurs, and more often than not, i'm stunned at how clueless one can be while being highly successful in America.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 11:21 am
did we mention..
BTW, I agree with all that has been said he, so far.

And speaking of celebrities with a shelf-life issue....

Have we forget (or was it mentioned already) as the last reply prompted me: what about 'The Donald'?

Trump has long exceeded his shelf-life and, though fabulously successful in business, is beyond obnoxious.

BTW, I agree with all that has been said he, so far.

Plainoldme: you make me homesick for Boston 'burbs: I've been in that same Walden books many times, and used to listen to WBUR as a reg FM diet
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 11:24 am
i think it's trump's hair, ragman. people can't get enough of it. Razz
0 Replies