wine basics for amateur

dov1953

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 02:11 pm
Rolling Eyes I don't want to know much; I'm a virgin when it comes to the finer points of wine even though I am 49 years old. I just want to know the following about "historic" wines. The best wines I hear are French, and I've heard that old wine is the best. On movies and TV I have heard of very valuable wine dating from about the time of Napoleon. Are there actually drinkable super-valuable wines that are older; say about 1700 or 1600? Why would someone save these wines for hundreds of years but not other wines? Can you tell by taste if a wine is one of the best in the world, or is it really just a matter of pretention and rarity? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,609 • Replies: 1
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 04:32 pm
dov, you should post this in Food and Drink, or perhaps I can start a tutorial/question-answer type thing....hmmm...sounds like a good idea. Ultimately, don't fall for the hype or the snobbery. A good wine is the wine you like to drink. Most wines these days are made in a "New World" style, i.e., drinkable immediately, because that is what the public wants. Serious collectors have different goals, so they get into some of that over the top crap. All you can tell from the taste of a bottle of wine is if it is mediocre, good, great or horrible for it's grape varietal, region and producer. There is no such thing as a "greatest wine in the world" except in one's own mind.
0 Replies