It's getting hard to enjoy a movie these days.

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 06:52 am
A cut-and-paste from the "Lady in the Water" thread:

Good lord, what kind of management do they have in your theaters? There is one venue in the OC that attracts the opening day teeny bopper nut cases and that's referred to as "Big Newport," the largest screen on the West Coast in Fashion (Facist) Island, Newport Beach. Used to go with some friends that love to go to the opening day of a movie. There were giant baloons being tossed around, a lot of routy noise before the lights went down but as soon as the previews came on, it quited down. If it didn't, the manager actually stopped the film, came out into the auditorium and issued a warning about noise and letting other's enjoy the film. This included a statement that they would eject trouble-makers. The theater was silent through the rest of the movie, and if there was a peep out of any section of the audience, an usher began walking through with a flashlight, passing it over the section where the disturbance originated. That didn't happen often and I only remember one time when any attendees were ejected. Otherwise, the theater experience here has been very good at all the multiplexes, including the new Century facilities. Makes me curious about the areas y'all live in!

I think it's been about three time in my lifetime that I've actually reported, along with those around me, a disturbing attendee(s). In each case, the manager threw them out and refunded their ticket money.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:04 am
J_B wrote:
I stopped going to movie theatres when they started routinely showing commercials before the movie. At the cost of a movie ticket I certainly don't want to be shown commercials. Now I usually wait for the dvd release and get it through netflix.

You've been going to Regal Cinemas. When they bought Edwards Cinemas on the West Coast, they began those commercials. I haven't been in one since. I go to the Century multiplexes or Krikorean that are just a few minutes from the house. The Century is THX certified picture and sound quality, and the sound isn't overbearing because it's crystal clear and doesn't need decibels pounded into one's ear. The projectionists are obviously better trained than at Regal. Century has been opening up all over the country. Regal has always been the hukster, low quality theater chain and is likely to be the second chain to file for bankruptcy (they bought Edwards out of bankruptcy) if they keep up their policy of commercials and letting their theaters deteriorate. The last time I went to a Regal, we was "The Two Towers." The sound was cranked up way to high with a mediocre sound system that distorted. The screen was dirty, filled with streaks and the theater had a bad odor. So much for Regal.

Investing in a big screen and good sound system is worth it -- my home sound is better than at the theater and I can adjust the dynamic range if the sound engineers got crazy with the crash-bang noise in an action flick.
The LFE (Low Frequency Effect) sometimes overdrives my sub-woofer and rattles the nearby furniture so I quickly turn down the level. I consistently have company over to watch movies so it really is similar to the theater experience except that these are friends and family I actually like and they don't come over if they are ill and give me their flu bug. Can't say that for the theater where I believe most air-borne germs are passed around.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:25 am
Lightwizard wrote:

Good lord, what kind of management do they have in your theaters?

Apparently pretty poor management... and I;m right in the middle of writing them a letter to tell them about it. There is never any ushers or workers in the theater to monitor the crowd(although there are usually 3 or 4 standing around outside with sweepers just talking). I used to go to movies almost every week with my wife. It has gotten so bad that we probably only go once every 4 or 5 months. I can't stand watching a movie with a noisy audience.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:29 am
You're doing the right thing. I actually am friends with the Edwards as I did their lighting system in their private home (I guess I charged them too much as shortly after that, they filed bankruptcy! Very Happy ) I told Patty Edwards what schmucks Regal was and how their theaters are no longer enjoyable to attend. She listened attentively -- her and her husband are still on the board!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:58 am
Well I email the theater management yesterday and they replied with this:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write me regarding your recent visit to the South Shore Cinema. It is unfortunate that disrespectful patrons can ruin an enjoyable evening for others. It is further unsettling that you are repeatedly subjected to such behavior from other audience members.

I will speak with our ushers regarding their monitoring of the auditoriums. We do send ushers through theatres periodically, but often the offending behavior of some patrons ceases while our staff members are present. Furthermore, if we have ushers in the auditoriums too frequently we upset customers who feel as though they are being "watched" and are then unable to relax and sufficiently enjoy the show. We simply do not have the resources to have an usher in each auditorium at all times, but we do try to have them patrol theatres regularly where we anticipate a noisy crowd.

While I understand that it is an inconvenience to leave the theatre and ask for assistance in removing problem audience members from an usher or manager, it is most often the best way to remedy these problems. We can remove the offensive patrons from the theatre and allow our guests who display appropriate etiquette to enjoy the rest of the movie in a calming and pleasant environment.

I will be sending you a pair of "We're Sorry" passes which will admit you and a guest into any film of your choice at the South Shore Cinema. I do hope you find a use for them soon and find future visits more agreeable. Should you have any other concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at once.

Sincerely,

General Manager
South Shore Cinema

I replied and told him that I for one would welcome an increased patrol of ushers and that some people NEED to be watched. I also thanked him for the tickets and that I would let him know how it goes... we'll see.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:03 am
People ain't bad at the movies over here in Madtown.

Course, the movies still suck.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:11 am
Why are you going to see bad movies? There are now user reviews as well as critical reviews on line. They are seldom wrong, unless it's an actor or director you happen to admire. Of course, I admire Kevin Spacey but sitting through some of his films has been an uninspiring experience. Still will watch "L A Confidential" just for his performance.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:30 am
Because it's summer in the midwest and we don't have air conditioning. Usually just go to matinees, and go to bargain theaters (we've got two here) a lot, so the whole shebang for two people only costs a few bucks.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:10 am
So you go to the theater to get cooled off and carry an airsick bag for the movie. Laughing There's also free chewing gum at the bargain theaters! Wonderful!
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:13 am
I like this discussion about rude behavior and agree that when it's a problem, it's a real problem. Nonetheless, I recall touring a children's theater production and having a reverse problem from rudeness, call it "overpoliteness". One of our plays was for a large group of kids at a private summer camp. After the kids got seated, the camp director proceeded to tell the kids that they had better be respectful to the play and the players and he didn't want to hear a peep or a squeek out of them. The actors did all they could to point up the humor in the play, but
it was a tepid responce.

Back to rudeness:

Someone pointed out that the rude members of movie audiences are not just young people but older members as well. A agree and not just older, but welll-dressed, successful preople as well. For example, there was an actor in a production on Broadway who stepped out of character and walked directly to the front of the stage and said, "Will the gentleman in the third row let us know when he is through talking on his cell phone so we can proceed with the play." Audiences in New York pay over a hundred dollars a ticket for some shows. Wouldn't that be justified homocide?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:26 am
I believe that was Kevin Spacey but don't remember the play. May have been "The Iceman Cometh."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:25 am
jp wrote:
I will be sending you a pair of "We're Sorry" passes which will admit you and a guest into any film of your choice at the South Shore Cinema. I do hope you find a use for them soon and find future visits more agreeable.

Strongly-Worded Letters often result in Free Stuff...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:36 am
Lightwizard wrote:
J_B wrote:
I stopped going to movie theatres when they started routinely showing commercials before the movie. At the cost of a movie ticket I certainly don't want to be shown commercials. Now I usually wait for the dvd release and get it through netflix.

You've been going to Regal Cinemas...

Bingo! The only other group nearby is a small AMC theatre inside a mall that is usually overrun with teenagers (I live in the sticks). Netflix works for me.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:05 am
I find it very disheartening that an increasing number of people behave inconsiderately in general, from pushing and shoving on/off trains or not getting out of peoples way, to shouting and yelling and disturbing other patrons when they are paying for a service/entertainment that requires some semblance of quiet in order to enjoy it.

I once had to ask a couple of people to stop talking throughout a city-tour as I could not hear the tour-guide and had paid good money for the trip. I just don't understand why I constantly have to do this with people. Why are people so unaware they are being selfish? Have manners become a thing of the past? And it's not just young people. The people I had to ask to keep quiet were business men in their forties. They were totally unconcerned with anybody else within earshot and I noticed everyone giving them reproving looks. I was also pushed violently by an elderly Chinese woman this morning who dive-bombed a seat directly in front of me when it became vacant. I told her it would have been better to politely request the seat rather than injure me to get it. I've also had to deal with extremely noisy neighbours who have no consideration of people having to work the next day or families trying to get children to sleep, when they start their pounding music at midnight and continue until dawn. Apparently it is nice to be a college student with odd hours and have absolutely no consideration that other people live on the other side of their paper-thin apartment walls.

I am, frankly, quite tired of the disrespect that has become the 'norm' these days and I get so frustrated that I have to ask people to refrain from doing obnoxious things that I feel like giving up and going off to live on an island, only coming back when I want to shop, eat out, and can stand being around hoardes of other people.

I know there are lots of you around who think just like me on this subject. Can you all move in around me?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:13 am
AMC theaters are notorious for deteriorating projection screens, screachy, distorted outdated sound and practically no usher presence. Wouldn't set foot in one -- as bad as the old United Artist theaters. How can they dare charge full admission for such trashy venues? It's Century except for the convenience of Krikorean being close to me near Knott's Berry Farm (so we can go have their famous chicken dinner before or after a show -- well, except there is a Claim Jumper nearby if I want to pig out on ribs, and take half the meal home).
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:04 pm
Heeven wrote:
I've also had to deal with extremely noisy neighbours who have no consideration of people having to work the next day or families trying to get children to sleep, when they start their pounding music at midnight and continue until dawn. Apparently it is nice to be a college student with odd hours and have absolutely no consideration that other people live on the other side of their paper-thin apartment walls.

complain to the landlord.
repeat often, especially at night (they hate to be bothered at night).
we had awful neighbors next door a few years ago, and this was the only way to get them to quiet down...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:22 am
Doesn't work Region. The landlord is a very large company and they have voicemail only after 5pm. We only have an emergency number for maintenance in case of burst pipes, etc., and they are truly just maintenance guys - they are on retainer by the landlord to do repair work and have nothing to do with neighbor disputes. I have written to the landlord repeatedly, called police, you name it. Nothing is done. I had a neighbor once, who must have found out from the landlord that I complained about them, and he tried to pay me back by doing some nasty things. I could never prove it was him but it was so obvious because the little incidents occurred right after my complaint. Ah well, breathe in and out .....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:32 am
Past 10PM, most municipal laws state you can call the police for a disturbance of the peace. I've had to do it a few times in my life. I once lived on the water on a yacht and a house. Sound travels across water. It was on the Balboa Peninsula which is party city so one has to consider they've moved into a problem area to begin with.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:40 am
Reminds me of a story of what my old boss once did. He was trying to write a medical paper at something like 1 a.m. and people in an apartment across the way wouldn't stop with the loud music. He set his alarm for 5 a.m., set up speakers facing out from his window, set his turntable with the 1812 overture... you guessed it, the canons, at dawn, at full volume, speakers quickly removed thereafter.

Not that I would recommend that...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 08:45 am
I've lived in the building longer than anyone else but it is Boston so there are lots of college students coming and going, as well as professional people and families. The thing is, it's so annoying to have to explain over and over again to these young students when they move in that just because they have moved out of their parents home and are 'free' this does not mean it is acceptable to blare their music and make lots of noise as if they are the only ones in existence. I have called the police on them several times and the police give them a warning, they turn down the music and 15 minutes later it's blaring again. I guess I have to accept that I was raised differently by my parents, in that I try to consider other peoples feelings and well-being before I do something.

Again, not all are like this (thankfully). I just happen to get the neighbors who are.

With respect to movie theaters, I do like quiet to enjoy and hear the movie but I had a great experience once. I was watching Jaws (many moons ago) and there seemed to be a great group of people in the movie theater. On occasion a quip would be said out loud and they were so funny and so appropriate to the movie scenes that we had to ask the operator to replay some missed scenes because of laughing so hard. The entire crowd was in the same 'mood' it appeared and we all left laughing in comraderie and talking about the movie and the fun we had. That's quiet unusual - to bond with complete strangers en masse like that. It was one of those special days.
0 Replies