It's getting hard to enjoy a movie these days.

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:22 am
I went to see the 445 showing of Lady in the Water yesterday.

I left after about 20 minutes because people are so damn inconsiderate and loud it made it impossible to enjoy the movie. A group of teenagers talking (I yelled at them which shut them up for a few minutes but they quickly started talking again... loudly), a baby crying (There is a reason you don't bring babies to a movie), people shaking their popcorn buckets, people not talking on the phone but texting their friends which is equally annoying.

I swear the only time you can enjoy a movie these days is the 130 in the afternoon showing on a tuesday afternoon. Any other time you get too many assholes in the theater. Drives me crazy...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,412 • Replies: 41
No top replies

material girl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:24 am
Just posted my opinion to t**tty people that talk in cinemas on the LAdy in Water thread.

Drives me NUTS TOO!!!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:38 am
I stopped going to the movies a few years ago, for a few reasons. One is the scenario that jp cited. The other is that the theatres have such intense sound, that I have become actually physically ill during some very loud scenes.

On the other hand, through Blockbuster Online, I have seen a couple of hundred movies in the last year and a half for a little more than it would cost for me and my husband to see one movie. I can get three at a time. We pick what we want, see it when we want, and can pause the film for snack and bathroom breaks. It does help that we have a 50" set, which is connected to outside speakers.

I really don't care if I see a movie when it first comes out. If it is good now, it will still be good a few months from now.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:41 am
I agree, no point in rushing.Id hate to see a film before loads of other people, youd have no one to discuss it with!

Blockbuster sounds good but Id miss the big screen and i have to admit I got a great buzz when I went to see the South Park film.It was amazing to be in a room with a few hundred other people all laughing their ar*es off!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:06 am
When I went to see X Men 3, this group of kids and two adults were talking the entire time. We yelled at them once, turned around several times but they didn't stop. Someone across the aisle from me was texting away, that lovely blue backlight distracting me every 5 minutes.

It is IRRITATING that no one at the theater monitors this any more!!!

Where the hell are the workers when you need them?

Worse, WTF is wrong with these people????? S H U T T H E F * C K U P!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:12 am
I second that!!

Maybe we should pledge to tell the kn*bs to shut up from now on.
Who goes to the cinema to talk!!They are crazy!!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:13 am
I was thinking it would be nice to have like a 25 and up theater. No one under 25 would be allowed in. Plus a worker in every theater to monitor the crowd and take care of problem customers right away. I'd gladly pay $1-0-12 a movie if I could actually enjoy a movie.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:14 am
material girl wrote:

I've started doing that alot lately. Usually it works and the person stops talking. Sometimes it doesn't but at least it is better then sitting in your seat and stewing about it the whole time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:14 am
The problem, jpin, is that one of the offending groups was a couple of adults, well into their 40's or 50's. People who should know better. UGH!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:35 am
I haven't been in a cinema in twenty years, I'm moron intolerant and for every intelligent, considerate person you get in cinemas you can bet there will be at least 10 morons.

My 32" TV isn't quite the same but at least there are no morons in my drawing room eating popcorn and bag after bag of potato chips.

By the way Phoenix what's this blockbuster free film deal?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:44 am
This brought one time to mind, when I went with a friend to watch Muhammed Ali, with Will Smith in the lead.
Not a bad movie, if you like that sort of thing. I'm not overly fond of it, but every once in a very long while I do enjoy a movie like that.
Anyways, we had a group of 6 guys right in front of us, who were talking, shouting and holering almost the entire movie. No one said a word about it however. Cause every one of these six lads looked like he could have given Muhammed Ali a run for his money in the ring. Not very social behavior, eh?

It also reminds me of this cheesy hooro movie I saw one time in the sneak preview, Jeepers Creepers. There comes this moment when the monster suddenly shows up. This woman somewhere screamed so loud she almost gave me a heart attack. She immediately apologized however, and we were soon laughing it off...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:45 am
kev wrote:
I'm moron intolerant

thank you for giving a name to what i've been suffering from for quite some time now...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:49 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
material girl wrote:

I've started doing that alot lately. Usually it works and the person stops talking. Sometimes it doesn't but at least it is better then sitting in your seat and stewing about it the whole time.

I've found that turning around (or leaning forward, as the case may be) and loudly saying, "Put a sock in it!" is quite effective. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to get an usher, who's job it is to monitor and enforce the house rules. Yes, you have to get up and go get them, but it ought to stop the problem.

But then again, I usually do the Blockbuster thing, unless I'm taking my kids to the movies.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:10 am
With two young kids, I rarely go to the movies any more - except the kiddie movies. With all you guys are saying - it seems the young kids are much better behaved than the adults. Once the movie starts with the younger kids - talking stops - usually these movies are for younger kids so no text messaging. I also wait until the movie has been out for a while - tends to be less crowded.

The one problem I have is it always seems to be that some idiot adult will plop themselves right in front of my child. I have even said something to them - I mean they come in tow with several children - wouldn't you look behind you before you sit down and make sure you aren't sitting in front of a small child? Especially in a theatre that is almost empty? Also you can sit in front of the one adult behind you rather than one of three kids.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:17 pm
I stopped going to movie theatres when they started routinely showing commercials before the movie. At the cost of a movie ticket I certainly don't want to be shown commercials. Now I usually wait for the dvd release and get it through netflix.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:39 pm
More often than not when I'm out, I am forced to witness the most spectacular examples of bad manners. A typical example would be one time recently when I was in Borders book store. I was one of several people sitting reading and studying in a circle of five chairs. A woman sits down with her young daughter and proceeds to read to her aloud from a book, as though the rest of us weren't there. I asked her to stop and she left. I personally think it indicates that society is, at present, failing to communicate the message that there are standards of acceptable behavior.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:52 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I personally think it indicates that society is, at present, failing to communicate the message that there are standards of acceptable behavior.

Yes yes and yes. Sad isn't it?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:55 pm
The prevailing norm seems to be... "Mind your own business."
At times laudable. At toher times, grossly inconvenient.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 04:48 am
material girl wrote:
Just posted my opinion to t**tty people that talk in cinemas on the LAdy in Water thread.

Drives me NUTS TOO!!!!!!

Me too!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 05:54 am
Region Philbis wrote:
kev wrote:
I'm moron intolerant

thank you for giving a name to what i've been suffering from for quite some time now...

I wish I could say my pleasure RB Sad
0 Replies