Classic British dishes vanish

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:30 am
Not that I'm mourning about it :wink:

http://i7.tinypic.com/20t07bo.jpg

source; The Guardian, 24.07.2006, page 3

Online:

Chips are down for Britain's classic dishes

Quote:
Classic dishes which stiffened the backbone and upper lip of Britain in days gone by are set to vanish from the nation's larder, according to a survey of changing food tastes. Jugged hare, brawn and junket are unknown to the overwhelming majority of under-25s, who also shudder when confronted with many of the recipes' down-to-earth ingredients.
Increasing prosperity is tending to drive offal from young people's kitchens, the poll suggests, along with ingredients such as haddocks' heads and scrag end of neck. The runaway success of international cuisine, from pizza to Thai curries, has also eroded the appeal of pigs' cheeks in brine and boiled calf's foot which date from periods of austerity
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 04:51 am
Here in the States, I find it impossible to find either fresh tongue or smoked tongue. Beef heart is also hard to come by.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:53 am
"Classic British dishes" - there's an oxymoron.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:54 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Here in the States, I find it impossible to find either fresh tongue or smoked tongue. Beef heart is also hard to come by.

Not difficult here, although you might have to ask for (order it) at the butcher's.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:56 am
cjhsa wrote:
"Classic British dishes" - there's an oxymoron.

I suppose, it's the same as "traditional" but why an oxymoron?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:22 am
Jugged Hare

1 Hare or Large Rabbit
Blood from the Hare or Rabbit
4 rashers Bacon
2 Onions
1 Lemon
15g (½ oz) Butter
1 tbsp Plain Flour
1 Bouquet Garni
6 Cloves
1 tsp Ground Allspice
Seasoned Flour
Port
Salt and Black Pepper

Preheat the oven to 170°C: 325°F: Gas 3.
Chop the bacon and onion, zest the lemon.
Lightly coat the joints of the hare with flour and place in a flame-proof casserole dish.
Add the herbs, bacon, onion, spices, lemon zest and seasoning.
Cover with water, bring slowly to the boil.
Cover and transfer to the oven for 2 - 2½ hours or until the hare is tender.
Remove the hare, onions and bacon with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
Discard the bouquet garni and the cloves.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour.
Gradually add the cooking liquid and stirring continuously until thickened.
Stir in the blood and add port to taste, mix well and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Pour the sauce over the hare and serve with redcurrant jelly.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:26 am
I think our national favourite dish is now tandoori chicken, or tikka masala or something.

Spotted dick takes a bit of beating on a cold evening. :wink:
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 01:46 am
I have to agree McTag.What a sorry state of affairs.It's all down to the fact that most of us don't "cook" anymore.We re-heat/microwave pre-prepared food,or order a takeaway (Pizza,fish and chips,kebab,Kentucky fried chicken,curry,etc).I even know people who make tea or coffee in a microwave! How hard is it to make the real thing?!?When I was at school,Home Economics was compulsary for the girls (and optionall for boys,sad to say very few took it),which gave them a basic grounding in cooking and running a home.Alas,today,Home-Ec is no more.It used to be accepted that a young man didn't know how to boil a egg,because his Mum/wife/girlfriend would take care of their nutritional needs.Now,the majority of young women leaving school don't know either.Is it any wonder that the likes of Spotted Dick,Toad In The Hole,a full Sunday roast,liver and bacon,Irish stew,boiled bacon and cabbage and even jugged hare are no longer served at the "family" table.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 04:16 pm
Even Spam (spam spam spam spam) is disappearing.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 01:02 am
Spam was introduced to the culinary world by the Hormel Company in Austin,Minnesota,as SpicedHam (one word) on July 5th,1937 and immortalised in song by Monty Python.That's the only British connection Cool
0 Replies