Should Israel become the 51st State of the USA?

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:34 pm
What if Israel became the 51st State of the USA?

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/116/story_11636_1.html

Quote:
...what Israel has discovered over the past 60 years is that the Arabs are an implacable enemy and seem far more ferociously dedicated to Israel's eventual destruction than the Jews are to Israel's survival. Just look at Arab gains and Israeli losses in the past decade alone. Israel allowed themselves to be pressured into the disastrous Oslo agreements. How Israel will survive an army of Palestinian militants that are directly on their border--especially with their hands tied by the international community--is anyone's guess. Let's call a spade a spade. The Arabs will only ever be satisfied when Israel is pushed into the sea, and without an American green light to get rid of the Palestinian terrorocracy, we cannot be entirely sure that there will even be an Israel, G-d forbid, in a decade. That is, unless it becomes an American state.

Besides, Jews and Judaism have thrived in the United States as never before. There are more Jews in the U.S. than in Israel, six million to four million. Israelis, too, love all things American. And Israel is just as close to Washington, D.C. as Hawaii--about ten hours by plane

There are undoubtedly countless pros and cons here and unbreakable barriers to it ever happening but assuming it came down to a yes / no vote, how would you vote?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,092 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
I voted yes. Since it already is.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:50 pm
Yes. All that's left is the paperwork.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:23 pm
Would we make them accept English as their official language?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:24 pm
Try ANOTHER proposal
There are more of many ethnic groups in North America than in many homelands. Perhaps We should make Armenia a 51st state, too?!

I resent your insinuation. Why not be even more creative?

If you are sincerely interested in well-being of the area, why not propose moving the Palestinains somewhere further from Israel, which WILL, despite your acceptance of the fact, stay right where it IS forever.

Why not propose moving Palestinian's homeland to be somewhere ELSE in the Middle Wast, suitably away from Israel? Why not have their Arab brother open the borders to their presence. Answer: 'cause not one of their Arab brothers WANT them there, either!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:34 pm
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:42 pm
I guess my response was a little glib. I feel we could tack Britain on as well. Close allies, and all. No offense intended, on my part.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:44 pm
Re: Try ANOTHER proposal
ragman(orig) wrote:
There are more of many ethnic groups in North America than in many homelands. Perhaps We should make Armenia a 51st state, too?!

I resent your insinuation. Why not be even more creative?

If you are sincerely interested in well-being of the area, why not propose moving the Palestinains somewhere further from Israel, which WILL, despite your acceptance of the fact, stay right where it IS forever.

Why not propose moving Palestinian's homeland to be somewhere ELSE in the Middle Wast, suitably away from Israel? Why not have their Arab brother open the borders to their presence. Answer: 'cause not one of their Arab brothers WANT them there, either!

You're way off topic, why don't you create your own threads/polls ?
some people might even think you were trolling...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:58 pm
off topic?
I don't agree with your statement that I'm off topic! Hardly! You may not like my answer, but it's not off topic.

My answer to your question "Should Israel Become the 51st State" is no.

My rebuttal and proposal followed! that's the way this forum works, right?
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:01 pm
Amigo wrote:
I voted yes. Since it already is.

That is true. Israel is the only country who has the privilege to be both a state of the USA and a member of the EU Smile .
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:07 pm
Re: off topic?
ragman(orig) wrote:
I don't agree with your statement that I'm off topic! Hardly! You may not like my answer, but it's not off topic.

My answer to your question "Should Israel Become the 51st State" is no.

My rebuttal and proposal followed! that's the way this forum works, right?

Thats not what you did, you first made a proposal and then answered my question (after editing your second post) - will you admit that i caught you lying ? Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:13 pm
lying?
Yes, I edited my post. That's what I do before I'm done with my thoughts. Is that a bad thing?

Why resort to ad hominem attacks Isn't that trolling?
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:23 pm
Re: lying?
ragman(orig) wrote:
Yes, I edited my post. That's what I do before I'm done with my thoughts. Is that a bad thing?

Why resort to ad hominem attacks Isn't that trolling?

You didn't answer my question again, ok, let me try again :

Did you make a proposal first then answer my thread question - or did you answer the question first then make a proposal (as you said) .

It's an easy one... :wink:
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:33 pm
edited
what is the difference how I edited prior to my final edit? Pretty nitpicky.

Cripes
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:43 pm
Re: edited
ragman(orig) wrote:
what is the difference how I edited prior to my final edit? Pretty nitpicky.

Cripes

3rd time lucky, maybe. I'll make it really simple.

Note : i'm not using the word ' edit '

Did you :

1) Answer the Question then Proposal ?

or

2) Proposal then Answer the Question ?

Maybe even simpler.

1) Question then Proposal. ?

or

2) Proposal then Question. ?

Simplest : Q = question - P = Proposal

1) Q then P ?

2) P then Q ?

Smile
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:03 pm
52nd. state.... you've forgotten Iraq....
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:48 pm
Clearly Israel can't become the 51st state - Australia already is.

eg Israel fairly regularly defies US wishes (eg the road map). Australia, under John Howards 'Liberals' never does (eg Australia is the only western nation not to negotiate for release of its citizens held in Guantanamo).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:57 pm
Re: Should Israel become the 51st State of the USA?
freedom4free wrote:
Besides, Jews and Judaism have thrived in the United States as never before. There are more Jews in the U.S. than in Israel, six million to four million.

I think this is the bit Ragman was opposed to F4F. And if so I'm with him for two reasons:

1) Immigration from a country is not a reason to 'acquire' it - because wouldn't Mexico be first on the list?

2) You seemingly make the mistake of confusing Israel (a geopolitical entity) with Judaism (a religiocultural entity). Not all jews are Israeli, not all Israelis are Jewish.

Carry on. :wink:
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:08 am
yes
hingehead: yes, that's what I objected to
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:23 am
Only then would we have a responsibility to defend it.
0 Replies