Wy

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
I've wondered about this traditional South American drink for a while, so when I saw a bottled kind in the supermarket I bought one, despite the pretty-high cost.

YUCH! It's simply awful. I don't care what the health benefits are, or how awake it will help me be. One sip was enuff!

Anybody tried the real, traditional method that involves a little gourd-shaped vessel and a straw? Is it just as awful or have I been the victim of marketing once again? And, if anyone has finished a serving, what effects did you notice? Any different from coffee or tea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,744 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 11:32 am
I've been brewing my own yerba every so often, using teabags (yerbabags?)

I had been using TAZO Lemon Mate and TAZO Tropical Mate. A friend gave me a much more expensive save-the-rainforest brand--nearly $7 for 16 tea bags which is pleasant, but I doubt that I'd buy it on a regular basis.

The caffeine boost is about that of tea.

I enjoy sipping mate, thinking of myself as a cosmopolitan traveler who just can't fit the teeming jungles of South America into an extended stay this week.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:36 pm
Quote:
have I been the victim of marketing once again?

>sigh<

yes. Laughing

yerba, completely by itself has an awful , ( I like to describe as..) dirt taste to it.

I buy the commercial, watered down brands of it that have fruit flavorings.
Granted, the amount of ACTUAL yerba in them is slim to none I am sure, but that queer taste that belongs only to yerba , is quite GOOD in those brands coupled with the fruits.

If you are interested after such a bad experience, give one a try.
Celestial seasonings has one that is... ehh.. ok..

The one I like the best is Whole Earth Yerba Mate / Raspberry Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:08 pm
Sorry to pull Rank-of-Generation on you, but the price of any bottled drink is hideously inflated because liquid is expensive to ship.

An herbal infusion of any sort is tastier fresh-brewed.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:38 pm
La Merced brand yerba mate (in bags) from Argentina -- I like the orange flavoured. I've got an unopened box of mint flavoured so can't comment on it yet. Great for that caffeine pick-me-up when you're just not in the mood for coffee.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:03 pm
Oh, thank you all. I'll try some of these suggestions -- after I return the hideously expensive, awful gunk to the market I'll have no trouble affording some yerbabags!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:11 pm
after WW II both coffee and (black) tea were very difficult to obtain in germany - you pretty well had to rely on the black market or have an english or american buddy who would supply you with it .
mate was easily available and became a subsistute for quite a few years . we prepared it like regular tea , added a bit of sugar and lemon - when we had it - and it served us quite well .
i haven't seen mate on our visits to germany over the years . seems to have gone out of fashion - together with 'fishpaste' , another 'delicacy' Mad of those days .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:21 am
Having seen this thread, I succumbed to curiousity and bought a package of Mate' Limon teabags - they have yerba mate, lemon verbena, black tea, lemongrass, licorice root, and ginger...

I'll let you know when I've actually tried it..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 04:21 pm
"I'll let you know when I've actually tried it.. "

does this involve a lot of decision making ?
it's only a teabag !!!
how long will we have to wait for your judgement to be puplished ?
can't wait for the good/bad news Very Happy .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:45 pm
Hey, sorry to not respond sooner, I missed seeing your post.

The verdict is...
ta da...
I liked it a lot.

And you know how picky/discerning I am.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
This is it, but I'm sure I didn't pay any $9.99... and that little store I favor is fairly expensive overall. (I make up for it by scrimping in different ways).
I'll double check the price next time I'm there.
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Pixie-Mate-Limon-Tea-p/scg12715.htm
0 Replies