Do you fear death?

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:35 am
I do not have anything else really to say.I fear death but it does not pass my mind very often as I am only 19 but was wondering is death something you think about alot and do you fear it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,169 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:36 am
No and no.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:39 am
I think once a person has spent some time figuring out their place in the universe and their belief (whatever it might be), things settle down.

I figure death will rule one day--but no more--of my life. Don't worry about it--justy take sensible precautions and enjoy what you have.

(19!! Have fun, dear!!)
0 Replies

prettyrussian

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:52 am
Thanks guys!Yes you are right.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:42 pm
It is scary to contemplate, sometimes, but it's not something I contemplate very often.

Can any of you remember when, more or less, you first felt you understood what death was? I can't remember any specific moment, personally. My grandfather passed away when I was very young, but it didn't really register because I barely knew him. My earliest memory of death-related fears, of the kind that kept me up at night, had to do with war. Not any war in particular, though I grew up in the shadow of Reagan's "Star Wars," but I seem to remember having sleepless nights as a kid, digesting what it would mean to be in a war.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:54 pm
Since I am going to hell, yes.
0 Replies

MoneyElite

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:53 am
You came with nothing & you go with nothing.
So nothing to fear!

Go in peace ....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:58 am
When I think about it it really scares me.Not necessarily the dying bit but how will I die.

I was watching a report this morning on a young pilot that died in a crash on his first solo flight.He didnt know that flight would be his journey to death.
Its so sad.
I often wonder if my journey too and from work will be the one to 'get me'.
0 Replies

MoneyElite

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:11 am
Just live your life to the fullest every day and there will be no regret.
That means, what will you do now if you are going to died tomorrow.

Think about it.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:17 am
Yes, I fear death. I don't think about it a lot, though.

I noticed a few things for myself. I fear death more when I feel less loving/loved. I fear death more when I have been away from it, or snuggled up in lazy complacency and not taking the risks I need to.

Instead of 'star wars', it was seeing the Gulf War on television that got me thinking about large scale death and the possibility of ME dying.

Later, when I actually encountered death in my own experience (others dying who were part of my life), it shook my sense of security about the world to my core. I knew I would die too, someday.

We are deeply self-absorbed creatures, in a way.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:36 am
MoneyElite wrote:
Just live your life to the fullest every day and there will be no regret.
That means, what will you do now if you are going to died tomorrow.

Think about it.

Maybe this is scarier than dieing.
Ive thought about the above question and to tell you the honest truth I havnt a clue what Id do.
What could I do?Id have to be off work everyday to go and do anything of any worth.Id have little or no money because of it.There isnt that much that I can think of that excites me enough to do anything about it.
Maybe im dead already but nobody has told me.

Horrid story-
A friend of a friend bought his dream car around Christmas last year, a bunch of friends including him were at a meal and he said 'thats the car Im going to die in'.On New Years Eve he had a car accident in that car and died about a week later.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:04 am
I don't feat death as much as getting old.
And the age itself is not the threatening thing.
If I knew I was going to be fit, I would not care so much, but watching this old relative living in an old people's home, hardly able to move and speak and with every now and then a sign that his mind is still in there somewhere...
That scares the **** out of me!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:37 am
No, I don't fear death -- but I'm not so crazy about the dying part.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 08:49 am
Bohne wrote:
I don't feat death as much as getting old.
And the age itself is not the threatening thing.
If I knew I was going to be fit, I would not care so much, but watching this old relative living in an old people's home, hardly able to move and speak and with every now and then a sign that his mind is still in there somewhere...
That scares the **** out of me!

This is my fear. A stroke that will leave me unable to kill myself--and my children horrified with what's happened to me--their long journey to my death. They are so tenderhearted, and they love me so much more than I deserve.

A severe stroke. I wouldn't want to stay through Alzheimer's, either, but you have a warning with Alzheimer's, and MS and some other slowly debilitating diseases. You have time to get things situated and choose your time of departure.

Strokes catch you unaware.

No nursing home.

I think those existences are worse than death.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:40 am
I find the idea of Alzheimer's rather horrifying.

What comforts me in spite of the prospect of old age (should I be so lucky), and in spite of death, is the chance that at the end of a fulfilling life I will have memories and a belief that I took advantage of most opportunities to pursue the things I found meaningful--relationships, artistic endeavours, etc.

Tibetan Buddhists spend a lifetime preparing for death, and this involves the practice of emptying one's mind--but that in itself requires the mind to act.

What I'm getting at is, a scrambled, unreliable mind addled by Alzheimer's, I think, deprives one of these comforts. A great uncle of mine, I remember, would ask his nurses where his wife was. They would tell him the truth, almost every day, that she was dead. So, until the nurses wisely decided to lie to him and say she was out shopping, every day was the day his wife died.

Yikes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:44 am
Gargamel--

Quote:
"So, until the nurses wisely decided to lie to him and say she was out shopping, every day was the day his wife died."

That made my eyes fill. I wouldn't have thought of it that way.

Thanks. I'll remember it if anyone I love needs a kinder explanation one day.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:16 am
The only time you will get a completely truthful answer to this question...

...is it you ask it of a person who is clutching his/her chest in obvious pain while you are asking it!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 11:58 am
I thought scared to die translated to spending time thinking about it--brooding about it, and worried.

Letting it take time from your happiness...

I can attest now that I will not be serene and nonchalant during a heart attack.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:51 pm
Do you fear death?
I don't fear being dead. I fear dying all tubed up in the ICU.

A lady who once lived next door to us died in a nursing home - she had to share her room with another woman (and the room wasn't all that big, either). She wasn't aware, as far as anyone could tell, but I thought it must have been horrible for her daughters to have a stranger sharing their mother's dying. Horrible for the stranger, too.

As far as being death itself is concerned, either it's the complete end - of mind, body, consciousness, everything - or there is some form of life after death. If it's the end, well I won't know about it, so I don't worry. If there's life after death, e.g. heaven, that will be good.

Personally, I believe in heaven and hell - although I was taught that while hell does exist, it is not for us to say who may be there. Perhaps no one except the devil and his minions...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 01:53 pm
death no...
method yes....
what comes after...possibly
0 Replies