Do you fear death?

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 03:11 pm
Do you fear death?
I guess that's a pretty fair summary, Bear.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 01:12 am
No, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
0 Replies

prettyrussian

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:37 am
Is that a polar bear or a dog as you avatar?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm
Since "I" seem to die during most of the hours of sleep, "death" is a pretty familiar state.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:02 pm
Scared of death? Nope.

I figure no matter whatever is behind the door that opens when we die, we can't know in this life, so why worry? It'll only make your time here less pleasant, and who wants that?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:50 am
Yes I am bloody scared of death, and I'm most likely the youngest here.

As a child I used to wonder about the deep, unanswerable questions a lot. I don't wonder as much now.

Another thing that scares me, almost as much as death, is old age, because there is no chance of improving your physical conditoion radically.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 06:14 am
Quote:

Your age has a lot to do with your fear of death. I would expect that as you age, you will begin to realize that death is a part of life, and by the time that you are ready to go, you will come to peace with the concept of death.

Quote:
Another thing that scares me, almost as much as death, is old age, because there is no chance of improving your physical condition radically.

Barring unforseen circumstances, your older, and old age has a lot to do with how you lived your younger years. Were you basically optimistic, and did you always have a lot of interests? Do you have a network of caring friends?

Did you eat properly, and did you keep your body in good condition? Were you regularly checked by a doctor, and tested so that any illnesses that came along could be dealt with before they got out of hand? Do you crawl into a corner at any slight pain, or do you say "screw it" and get on with what you are doing?

I live in a senior community, with a lot of people in their 70's, 80's and beyond. The tennis courts are always full, the golf courses are mobbed, and there is a dance or exercise group going on almost every day of the week.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 06:32 am
I don't agree that fear of death is necessarily a function of youth or inexperience. I think that denying a fear of the discomfort and pain of death, and the uncertainty of what lies beyond, is sometimes a trait of those most afraid.

I've talked to several jumpmasters in the Army, and to a man, they all say that they still have fear when they jump, and these are the most experienced at what they do. I had to interview a medal of honor awardee (they are said to be the bravest of the brave), and he said that he was scared as hell when he did what he did - he was just equally pissed off at the time.

I think that most people have fear of death, and I think it is very natural. It can be dealt with, and it needn't rule one's actions, but fear isn't anything to be afraid of.
0 Replies

onlYou

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 04:47 pm
I'm not so much afraid of death as I am of dying. More specifically how I die. Sometimes I wish I could know how it would all end so I could brace myself if it's bad. Although knowing how I'm going to die could take the fun out of living in some aspects. I believe I have a destination after death so I am not afraid of death itself. I just don't want to die a horrible death to get to the better place.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 07:56 pm
prettyrussian wrote:
Is that a polar bear or a dog as you avatar?

that is an extremely handsome dog in Kuv's avatar. Does sort of resemble a Polar Bear which helps account for his stunning good looks.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:02 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Your age has a lot to do with your fear of death. I would expect that as you age, you will begin to realize that death is a part of life, and by the time that you are ready to go, you will come to peace with the concept of death.

Quote:
Another thing that scares me, almost as much as death, is old age, because there is no chance of improving your physical condition radically.

Barring unforseen circumstances, your older, and old age has a lot to do with how you lived your younger years. Were you basically optimistic, and did you always have a lot of interests? Do you have a network of caring friends?

Did you eat properly, and did you keep your body in good condition? Were you regularly checked by a doctor, and tested so that any illnesses that came along could be dealt with before they got out of hand? Do you crawl into a corner at any slight pain, or do you say "screw it" and get on with what you are doing?

I live in a senior community, with a lot of people in their 70's, 80's and beyond. The tennis courts are always full, the golf courses are mobbed, and there is a dance or exercise group going on almost every day of the week.

That's another thing that scares me. That people come to accept death. Once you die you are gone. Forever. Or at least I believe so. And I don't intend to (even can't) change my beliefs any time soon.

I won't bore you with the details of my life, but I can tell you that I am a happy healthy person, but never the less I will, one day, become old, eventually to the point that I am confined to a chair or bed. No matter how healthy you are, your health will ultimately leave you.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:03 am
I don't have any religion myself - but I've been told that whatever your belief, many people have taken great comfort from the words of the present Dalai Lama when it comes to talking about death.

Personally, although I'm not looking forward to giving up the simple things in life, I admit that there is a tiny bit of me that feels a certain excitement at the thought of dying.

I see it as a beginning, as well as an end, because I get the strongest feeling that we are all here to learn - about ourselves and what it is to be human amoungst other humans - (for me our teacher is not one particular god, but a universal system that we are incapable of understanding in this life, but that we can witness every day in nature around us.)

I do think its important how we die - because when you think about it death is a trip into the unknown and I'd like to be able to step out the door calmly when the time comes.

This is why I have refused to read any Terry Pratchet novels. Not a one. I'm saving them for my old age - for the time when I know death is coming and need a really good laugh. I want to set out on my solo journey with a smile on my face.

But that's if I make it that far.

I think it's quite natural for any human to fear early, violent death. After all, who wants to be kicked out of school early? Who wants to die writhing in agony?

But I'll say this for those who truely fear such a death - believe me, our bodies are capable of helping us die peacefully- even in the more horrible situations. Our brain will dish out morphine (endorphins) if needed... our senses will shut down... we will sedate ourselves (shock). Yes people die screaming - but a lot of that is fear - which can be overcome...
maybe not with a Terry Pratchet novel - but who knows? :wink:
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:16 am
Yes I fear death but I try not to think about it too much. What happens to my mind and my thoughts when I die? How do they just shut down and become nothing? It makes my stomach churn to think about it.

I have never had anyone truly close to me die and I dread how that will feel when it eventually and inevitably happens.

The most unbearable thing for me to imagine though, is to die before my daughter and leave her alone in this world.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:19 am
ENDYMION wrote

Quote:
But I'll say this for those who truely fear such a death - believe me, our bodies are capable of helping us die peacefully- even in the more horrible situations. Our brain will dish out morphine (endorphins) if needed... our senses will shut down... we will sedate ourselves (shock). Yes people die screaming - but a lot of that is fear - which can be overcome...

Thank you for that. I'm not ashamed to admit that I like to be reassured about things that worry me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:28 am
That's just being honest, Dorothy- and it is welcome and refreshing.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:37 am
I certainly fear death. I fear it might be a long uncomfortable death and then I fear what comes afterwards.

The very thought, as Dorothy mentioned, of not being able to think or feel anymore makes me very uncomfortable. However, if I don't feel or think anymore I won't be uncomfortable and won't be conscious enough to fear what's going on.

Then there's the possibility of an afterlife or reincarnation. If it's reincarnation, once again, I have nothing really to fear because I won't be able to remember a past life or the uncomfortable-ness of the period in between death and rebirth.

If it's the afterlife, I'd probably be afraid that I haven't done enough to ensure a good afterlife. Then another thing would be what if there's something after the afterlife?

In a way, I think this is humanity's downfall. We've become so intelligent that we can become mad thinking about death, whereas other animals seem to think of death only in the terms of one phrase, "avoid it whenever possible", and leave it at that.
0 Replies

Marco Lazzeri

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:13 am
aren't we living with death every moment.death instead of being considered as an end someday later, if considered as a constant companion, the fear could get extinguished.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:54 am
If we were to personify Death, it would be as our friend. It is the end of suffering, and helps to give meaning to our lives. Without the omnipresence of Death values like courage/cowaridice would be even more abstract. Death makes room for the children, and without the children immortality would be a cruel joke. Death is an essential part of renewal. Death fertilizes the soil and feeds the hungary. Think how vapid literature would be without one of its most essential characters.

Tempis fugits, momento mori. Live every moment as if it were your last, and you will have no regrets, nor anything to be ashamed of.

Personally, I look forward to death and will welcome it when it comes. I don't like Death, but mostly that is because I've neverf become accustomed to the smell of it, the messiness of decay offends my aesthetic senses. Death is often awkward, and inelegent. What consolation can one offer to the suffering relatives and friends of someone recently dead, especially if Death came in the guise of violence, or by accident. Discussing Death with the dying is easier once the traveler has come to grips with its inescapability.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 11:03 am
Ash's post reminds me of my modification of the dictum, "leave each day as if it were your last."
I also like: "Live each day as if YESTERDAY were your last; today is pure gravy" (nothing to gain and nothing to lose).
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 11:20 am
DP wrote:

Quote:
The most unbearable thing for me to imagine though, is to die before my daughter and leave her alone in this world.

I was close to death in the winter of 2003, although substantially sedated, I WAS aware of my own struggle, I actually imagined a battle taking place! It's difficult to recall those days now - it quite upsets me...

I was finally discharged in May 2004 - a very different person. The small (Hickman) scar on my neck the only outward sign of my struggle. I see it everyday in the mirror, I like it, it is a reminder to live my life well.

The desire not to leave MY loved ones alone was my only ammunition.

x
0 Replies