Play: Processing Reality, Rehearsing Reality

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 05:27 am
A side discussion of the appropriate use of the word "play" started here.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2149151#2149151

I'm working up to a bit of a Clouds Of Dust exit for a complicated morning, so this introduction will be a bit abrupt and trunciated.

Very quickly: The Boomers were attending an air show and one of the planes crashed. Young Mo Boomer, a bright five-year-old who has survived and flourished after a very stressful infancy anounced that they would go home and "play" air crash.

Boomer wanted some support on talking about the Mysteries of Death, particularly since she was upset.

Some A2K members felt it was frivolous to talk of "Playing" at death.

To my mind "Play" is a way of processing reality. Before I started this thread, I "played" the concepts and the wording of the concepts over and over in my head to see how they would appear to the audience I hoped to reach.

In the Western World we've grown a bit complacent about death. Old people live longer than they used to. Dangerous jobs are much safer than they used to be. Severe illness and epidemics take place in the Third World and don't affect us.

Untimely death still exists and it is very hard to comprehend and to accept.

As soon as trains were invented, children played "Train Wreck". "Playing at Funerals" was a popular Victorian children's pastime. "Deathbed" games were common.

Today kids are more likely to play "House" or "Spaceship" or a light hearted "Bang, Bang, You're Dead" rather than to rehearse and analyze the reality of death through play because untimely death is not necessarily a part of their world.

There is nothing morbid in children playing at death. They are rehearsing reality.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 763 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 07:24 am
Play is kids' way of processing reality.

Like talk is for us.

It's fun a lot of the time, too, and a rehearsal for life, and a way they grow their lovely little neurones and the richness of their neuronal connections (kids that watch TV all the time, for example, and don't get enough play, have different wee brains)

Traumatised play isn't much fun for kids, though...any more than talking about hard stuff is for us.

It's work. And necessary work.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:13 am
Reading with interest but not sure I have a lot to contribute -- we are busy working at play this morning. Consider this my bookmark and my thanks for starting the thread, Noddy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:55 am
Back from my mammogram. The weather is hot and humid and the ionosphere blocked reception for the only PBS station that reaches the mountains. I had ample time to ruminate and contemplate--to rehearse my comments.

"Rehearse", "act out", "seek the spotlight", "games play", "final curtain". The English language is mined with metaphors dealing with the concepts of "play" and of "theatre".

As any English major will tell you, both the Greek and the Medieval traditions of drama came from religious ceremonies and are still valued by the ability of the unreal to arouse feelings of awe and wonder.

On the original thread, a valuable A2K member suggested that asking--or allowing--a child to play plane crash was like giving permission for a morbid game of Make Believe Cancer.

If I had a child facing cancer, whether that cancer was personal or in a member of the family, I would make every effort to "play" cancer as much as that child wanted. I'd dress up in p.j.'s--or hospital whites/greens/purples. I'd open up the subject of feeling yukky. I'd encourage the child to explore how to be loving to people who feel yukky--or how to feel yukky without being a brat. I'd help explore the idea of hairlessness. I'd do everything playful in my power to subtract fear from the unasked-for experience of cancer.

Cancer would become a fact-of-life to be coped with, not the unmentionable "Big C". I wouldn't dwell on unpleasant possibilities, but I wouldn't enter fantasy land and guarantee happy endings, either.

Kids--and some adults-- will act out unhappiness because they don't have the words for enormous concepts for the experience to deal directly with unpalatable reality.

I'd also be very, very careful that I did as much--or more-- listening and admiring and re-acting as lecturing and directing. I've got my handles on Death and Injustice and a Seemingly Uncaring Universe. I want any child that I love to build personal handles rather than indulging in either hysteria or wilful ignorance.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:50 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
On the original thread, a valuable A2K member suggested that asking--or allowing--a child to play plane crash was like giving permission for a morbid game of Make Believe Cancer.

If I had a child facing cancer, whether that cancer was personal or in a member of the family, I would make every effort to "play" cancer as much as that child wanted. I'd dress up in p.j.'s--or hospital whites/greens/purples. I'd open up the subject of feeling yukky. I'd encourage the child to explore how to be loving to people who feel yukky--or how to feel yukky without being a brat. I'd help explore the idea of hairlessness. I'd do everything playful in my power to subtract fear from the unasked-for experience of cancer.

Cancer would become a fact-of-life to be coped with, not the unmentionable "Big C". I wouldn't dwell on unpleasant possibilities, but I wouldn't enter fantasy land and guarantee happy endings, either.

Yep. That's what you do. (Or, we did.) I had a daughter who was 1 year old (well, 15 months) when she got diagnosed w/cancer and was dead at 23 months. My other daughter, who was 3 at the time, and her little friends played cancer and death repeatedly. Before Angela died, they played "nurse" and "doctor" on her and treated her for cancer. After she was gone, other players became the patient, often almost a victim, of cancer. The play continued for months.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 02:03 pm
Princesspupule--

Please accept my sympathy for your daughter's death and congratulations for your courage in letting her sister and her sister's friends confront cancer and death directly.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 06:33 pm
Wow, princesspurple. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I have done quite a bit of work with the Children's Cancer Association and I have always marveled at the parents and how they were able to deal with such a tragedy. I marvel at you for being able to not only deal with it yourself but to help your other child through it. Even with my second hand experience I can't imagine what that must be like.

Our situation is such a blip in comaprison to what so many others have experienced. I know that. I'm not sure if I'm ready for Mo to know that though....

It is reassuring to know that allowing Mo to play at disaster is not such a bad thing and that it might even be helpful.

I always tell Mo that his job is to play.

As Noddy pointed out in her original post, play is not always about fun but it is a method of understanding the realities of life.

I'm starting to get that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 08:23 pm
Yep.

I went looking for a vaguely-remembered quote from I think Piaget, found this interesting article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20021002childsplay3.asp

Some quotes that I liked:

Quote:
"I feel as if we are creating a culture where we are giving children all the content that we think they need for their imagination, without realizing that in the process we are stifling their imagination," said Joan Almon, an educator who heads the U.S. Alliance for Childhood.

With such a lack of child-initiated play, "we are short-circuiting a lot of their development," Healy adds. "That's because play is the way that children work out their emotional issues, their fears, their anxieties. It's the way they develop a self, a way they develop a sense that they are important people who have ideas to share and who can get along with other people."

Quote:
Children, of course, have been playing for centuries. It was the 20th-century work of Jean Piaget that underlined the importance of play in children's development. Seymour Papert, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor who created the LOGO computer language, writes that Piaget showed us "children are not empty vessels to be filled with knowledge but active builders of knowledge -- little scientists who are constantly creating and testing their own theories of the world."

Quote:
"While it is unfortunate that in today's world of increased time constraints, parents and teachers need to take a more active and deliberate role in ensuring that children's play meets their needs, in the long run their efforts will pay off," Levin says.

"Children will demonstrate increased levels of independence, resourcefulness and competence as a result of creative play."

Rhonda Clements, a Hofstra University professor and head of the American Association for the Child's Right to Play, adds that no one knows exactly what academic or life skills are going to be necessary 20 years down the road.

"But one thing we can bet on is that we will still need people who can solve problems, which is one benefit of play. The people who brought us the technology of today were obviously wonderful players," Clements says.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:03 pm
<reading>....
0 Replies