Look In The Mirror

Vivien

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 12:43 pm
yes BoGoWo - i like the 'emotional communication'.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 01:53 pm
art
BoGoWo, bravo!
A wonderful phrase: "Art and culture is what humankind is "about." It is us in all our glory, our finest hour, our lowest depth..." This reminds me of Goethe's resolve: "I'll sound the heights and depths that man can know." This is an example of ontogeny recapitulating phylogeny (he will do as an individual what mankind does as a species).
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:22 pm
jlN; thanks.
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:51 pm
maybe Yes, Maybe No
Vivien wrote:
'rampant egotism' - lovely phrase and very accurate - Wilde took a pose and deliberately made provocative outrageous statements - ideal for provoking a discussion such as this.

Vivien,

I am in total agreement that Mr. Wilde made outrageous statements, particularly within his time frame.

What I question, wonder about, is if his statements and behaviour were *deliberately* different? Yes, I agree there are people who say or do outrageous things, simply for the reason of being noticed as outrageous. A contemporary example that comes to my mind, is "Madonna', the *celebrity*. It appears to me that her behaviour and the course of her career has been quite calculated, with some spontaneity.

Yet, are there not people who are just outrageous, with no attempt to be so? That is their true selves.

I wonder where Oscar would fall in the frey of the truly outrageous and , then, the posturers?

bogowo... quite a succinct observation!

Thank you.
fatima10
0 Replies