What kind of hotel guest are you?

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 08:50 pm
Because I've been in the hotel business so long, I guess I've trained myself to be a considerate guest.....even though I'm paying for services.

Before checking out of a room, I strip the beds, pile all the linens and towels up near the door; empty all my trash into one bin and generally tidy up so the housekeeper's job is made a little easier.

The reason I bring up the question is because my hotel is down to two, very tired housekeepers (78 room hotel) and I worked the laundry room today to help them out. (I am so tired and sore, but will do it again tomorrow.)

It was necessary for me to wear latex gloves while sorting the laundry ~ after finding a few condoms, one hypodermic needle and some other nameless items, I also decided to don an attractive surgical mask.

I filled a thirty gallon bin with linens that cannot be used again ~ even after washing in commercial cleaning agents. What do people do with these linens?

I realise you pay to stay in a hotel, but why do some people feel they have a right to damage a room or it's contents?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,664 • Replies: 39
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:00 pm
I love hotels, so I am pretty considerate and respectful. I don't get to stay in hotels often, so it is always a treat when I can. I would live in a hotel if I could, and I would probably write a book on the transitory souls who pass through it (hotels and airports are a fascination of mine), but I am certain that has been done. I have also worked in hotels, in the kitchens, and once carved roast beef for the Prime Minister of Thailand and his entourage...man, they love their roast beef....
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:02 pm
Cool beans, cav!

I spent last Saturday night hanging out in our restaurant's kitchen ~ Chef even let me behind the line.....a 'no-no' even for servers.

Thanks for being a considerate guest! :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:04 pm
What hotel are you at Rae?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:09 pm
One that shall remain nameless! Located somewhere in Indian Harbour Beach, FL.....

Our award-winning restaurant however, is the Boatyard Bar & Grill.

Wish I was still at my last hotel ~ then I wouldn't mind telling you where it is!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:14 pm
Heh....it has been a while, but I was at the Four Seasons in downtown Toronto. Just went there the other day to go over the menu for my brother's wedding actually, put in a professional opinion and find ways to save the folks some $$$. Truffles is their resto, always gets rave reviews.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:20 pm
Man, I need to avoid putting my two cents in when it comes to banquets or rooms. One of these days I ought to write a book..... :wink:

I'd be blacklisted from the industry so quickly!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:22 pm
My last hotel was 'full-service'.....but family orientated, so all we lacked was a concierge and valet. But the training I received there was priceless. I compare every restaurant and/or hotel to that one.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:33 pm
Rae, I leave any hotel room I've used looking relatively civilized. I'd never use the linens for anything that will ruin them, I don't leave trash around, I don't steal stuff, I leave the little card on the bed that says they don't have to change the sheets, hang towels if I can use them again, and I leave a tip of $4-$5 each day, but I have never, ever stripped the beds. Do you really recommend that? Jeez, when I'm paying upwards of $100 a night for a room I want to feel like I'm on vacation.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:36 pm
I don't strip the beds and leave the linens at the door, Rae, but I think we're considerate hotel guests.

We usually get take-out from whatever restaurant is on-site and take it back to our room. We bag all the garbage and dispose of it ourselves. I confess that that's because we don't want to sleep with the smell of old food.

We don't strip the beds but we do dump all used towels in the tub before we check out, so that the housekeepers know what's used and what's not.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:37 pm
The other aspect, what the housekeeping staff has to put up with, that's crazy ...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:38 pm
Hiya Piffka!

No, I don't 'recommend' stripping the beds.....I just do it because I am very aware of how hard the housekeeping staff works. And it's funny because they are generally the lowest paid employees in a hotel ~ yet they do most of the work.

Tips are greatly appreciated, by the way! Tipping housekeepers is something, I've found, that most people have never even considered.

By all means ~ enjoy your time in a hotel! Yes, you are paying good money to have all the cleaning done for you ~ that's why we're in business!

You are also an appreciated, considerate guest! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:41 pm
Very kind of you, mckenzie!

As far as the towels go, you might as well toss them all in the tub ~ used or not. In every hotel I've ever worked in (eleven now), when a room is marked as a check-out, all of the linens are removed.

Another considerate guest gets a gold star/smiley! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:44 pm
I have actually seen a room so badly 'abused', that an outside cleaning agency was brought in.

Housekeeping and maintenance get the dirtiest jobs.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:45 pm
Rae, I think by the time I get through with them, they will blacklist me as well....I took one look at the wine list and said "So, your markup is obviously 300%, what are our options..."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:46 pm
What do people do to these linens anyway, if they are not in a band??
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:47 pm
Ok, Rae, you'e the expert ...

Tell me, how often are blankets washed ... or bedspreads cleaned?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:52 pm
lol, cav! I would suggest that you and I open our own hotel and restaurant, but we'd never make any money!

I'm afraid to know what are done with the linens..... Rolling Eyes

There are lots of things I could guess at, but the most popular ruination of linens is mascara. Water-proofing mascara was a HUGE boost to the linen wholesalers!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 09:59 pm
Depends, mckenzie. For rooms that are occupied for more than a few days, the bedspreads and blankets are washed after check-out.

Generally though, the total number of rooms are divided by four ~ and bedspreads are washed weekly, accordingly.

Blankets are the same, except when housekeeping decides otherwise ~ meaning more often. Same with the bedspreads.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 10:00 pm
The bedspreads... I now take those off before I sleep in a hotel bed, ever since I was at a fancy hotel that had a "turn-down" service and THEY took the bedspread off.
0 Replies